Last Drive Play Calling

Advertisement
Coach had them guessing on last two drives particularly the Homer runs. Only complaint I saw was the calls to Cager who just was not mentially in game for some reason. The other thing was players executing when they had to under pressure, which they did not and cost us several nice plays in first half

Am I the only one who saw a huge improvement in Rich's play calling in the second half vs. first half?
Even the sideline reporter was commenting how predictable our passing the first half.

As someone who has coached I can tell you that when it works your a genius, when it doesn't work your an idiot.

Am I the only one who saw a huge improvement in Rich's play calling in the second half vs. first half?
Even the sideline reporter was commenting how predictable our passing the first half.

Tom Luginbill barely knows about recruiting which is how he got his name. He knows zero about our offense and it's supposed predictability.

I saw our OL tighten up a little big more in the second half and i saw MR settle down and make correct reads, with accurate passes.

Advertisement
Just watched the replay and something jumped out at me and this could have really gone horribly for us. CMR calls 2 huge run plays which Homer gets back to back first downs. The balls you have to have to call those run plays in with very little clock left! Gotta give him a ton of credit for the play calling especially when he is often criticized for his play calls. And then the finishing touch was not settling for a FG, we all know Golden crew would have taken a knee in that moment. Very proud of the team! They officially look competent. All we need to do is stop with the miscommunication between safeties and corners, and start taking better angles in the run game. a few of those big runs were completely shut down until a horrible angle was taken by a safety or LB.

I was fine with the running calls.

I was NOT fine with not taking a timeout after each. It all worked out for the best, but I was freaking the fvck out.

I can understand saving one TO for a FG, but not both.

Coach had them guessing on last two drives particularly the Homer runs. Only complaint I saw was the calls to Cager who just was not mentially in game for some reason. The other thing was players executing when they had to under pressure, which they did not and cost us several nice plays in first half

but I understood the rationale. Which is why Langham is the hero. Both guys are 6'5" and present mismatch problems with corners on an island. Cager is also probably the quicker of the two. If Langham had not made that catch you and others may have been questioning why are we throwing it to a guy who hadn't seen action all game and was ghost since we played Buffoon Cookman.

It's officially time for langham to take cager's snaps. Langham seems to actually high point the ball and act as if he wants to be out there.

Just watched the replay and something jumped out at me and this could have really gone horribly for us. CMR calls 2 huge run plays which Homer gets back to back first downs. The balls you have to have to call those run plays in with very little clock left! Gotta give him a ton of credit for the play calling especially when he is often criticized for his play calls. And then the finishing touch was not settling for a FG, we all know Golden crew would have taken a knee in that moment. Very proud of the team! They officially look competent. All we need to do is stop with the miscommunication between safeties and corners, and start taking better angles in the run game. a few of those big runs were completely shut down until a horrible angle was taken by a safety or LB.

I was NOT fine with not taking a timeout after each. It all worked out for the best, but I was freaking the fvck out.

might have been just to keep the pedal to the metal. It also maybe prevented some subs on their side. They were probably gassed. Why give them time to regroup? Personally I thought it was fine. Gave them just enough time to try one more play in the endzone and last second field goal with no time left on clock .

Advertisement
Did anyone else notice the trips bunch formation on 3rd and 10 when Malik hit Berrios for the first down?

I was shocked cause i don't remember us going into trips very often in the past.

We ran it a few other times in this game. I think we will see more of it heading forward. I like the idea of attacking the safeties with 2 WRs and having Berrios drag underneath.

might have been just to keep the pedal to the metal. It also maybe prevented some subs on their side. They were probably gassed. Why give them time to regroup? Personally I thought it was fine. Gave them just enough time to try one more play in the endzone and last second field goal with no time left on clock .

For the millionth time, we can talk about what-ifs all day long.

The bottom line is that if you are comparing, you know, ACTUAL TIME ON THE CLOCK to some sort of a strategy to minimize substitution, TIME ON THE CLOCK wins every single motherfvcking time.

If we do not get first downs, if we do not have incompletions, then the clock keeps running and we might never get in range for a FG, we might never get guys on the field to kick a FG, we might miss a FG.

Oh, but sure, we should waste time to prevent them from substituting.

Sometimes I wonder if some posters have ever actually played football.

It all worked out, so I'm fine as it played out, but it was certainly an unnecessary risk. ****, even the F$U defender could have committed pass interference on that play, which would have forced us to kick a FG.

NO GUARANTEES when kicking. NO GUARANTEES in OT.

I thank God it worked out as it did, but it was idiotic to not use one of our TOs after a running play on that drive.

We're basically saying the same thing, but it's even worse than you describe. It was far worse than taking horrible angles, it was LB'ers and Safeties (mostly LB'ers) vacating GAPING holes/cutback lanes in order to run into the pile/mass of bodies that was going no where anyway. It was mind blowingly bad defensive discipline. The only saving grace is that we now have this on film to beat these guys over the head with all week. This game should not be difficult, but it will require everyone on defense having the discipline to do their job, do it well, and do ONLY their **** job! If we see the same kind of crap with backers going for the ball carrier instead of the pitch man, when the pitch man is their guy, or vice versa, or crashing on the middle dive when they have cutback or pitch responsibility, it's going to be a really rough day.

Based on what we've seen from this team and this staff, I have confidence that the mistakes we made last week will be strengths by the time we play our next game. If that happens this week, GT can expect PAIN.

Last edited:
Advertisement

After Homers 2 runs we had the X run verticals on the short side the next 4 plays. Malik saw one on one his first 2 reads to Cager and saw it again on the Touchdown to Langham. The difference of course Langham didn't get bumped off and caught the ball. Malik was reading what the defense gave him and made those throws

The bottom line is that if you are comparing, you know, ACTUAL TIME ON THE CLOCK to some sort of a strategy to minimize substitution, TIME ON THE CLOCK wins every single motherfvcking time.

If we do not get first downs, if we do not have incompletions, then the clock keeps running and we might never get in range for a FG, we might never get guys on the field to kick a FG, we might miss a FG.

It all worked out, so I'm fine as it played out, but it was certainly an unnecessary risk. ****, even the F$U defender could have committed pass interference on that play, which would have forced us to kick a FG.

I thank God it worked out as it did, but it was idiotic to not use one of our TOs after a running play on that drive.

I don't get this. You are a good poster for the most part as best I recall. You understand that the clock stops (until the ball is spotted) after a first down, right? Even if it's a running play. A well coached team that gets up to the line of scrimmage immediately after the play can be ready to run another play almost immediately once the ball is spotted and clock restarted, which is basically what happened as I recall. I thought it was played perfectly. The TO is FAR more valuable to be used after a sack, or when the runner gets stopped in bounds short of the first down than it is after a first down play. If I recall correctly, we had one time out left in our pockets when the game winning TD was scored. That TO would have been absolutely CRITICAL to have if DH had been stopped just short of the goal line, or if Malik had to scramble or took a sack on that play.

Respectfully, you are just wrong on this one.

The best play of the whole drive IMO was the whip route to Berrios, Langham running the go to clear space.

Haven't seen that route combo that I can remember. Berrios is uncoverable in that situation vs man D. Hopefully we see more of that from our route trees.

Advertisement
The first pass attempt to Cager may have been incidental contact, but on the second attempt, the defender definitely pushed him down. I was really getting ****ed with how much contact the refs were allowing from the defenders while at the same time flagging BB8 for barely touching a guy.

That was a big boy drive, 100% playing to win. Make no mistake, 90% of coaches, including the guy on the other sideline probably line-up a FG and go to OT. Letting a QB who had been decent down the stretch, but basically 40% passing on the day toss a back shoulder fade to your #5 WR probably isn't on their radar. It also shows confidence in Badgley that if its incomplete he can make a big boy FG. It was just straight-up savage stuff.

Our guys were playing so tight and tentative in the first half....I don't know if it was play-calling, or just poor execution all the way around. Not interested in re-watching that brutal 1st half to try to find out, either, I'll leave that for the coaches.

As for the second half, I agree that something changed. It was incredible to watch.....almost a damned spiritual experience, I'd say. How on earth Malik goes from essentially looking like Kirby Freeman vs NC State in the first half, to being a cold-blooded assassin in the second half, I can't find a logical explanation for it. Have to give a ton of credit to Richt for going for the outright win there. Considering all that could have gone wrong with throwing for the end zone, so many coaches would have just lined up for a kick, or run a safe dive to get a better angle. Even as it stood, it was a dangerous call that could have resulted in a game-ending INT if Malik hadn't put it where only Langham would have a chance to go get it. The FSU CB had really good coverage on the play, but the ball was in the one place where he had no chance of making a play on it. Just amazing stuff.

No need to get bent out of shape. Just posting a hypothetical. I guess in your mind there are no guarantees except what you think should have been done. Take it up with Richt.

Advertisement
Back