Last Drive Play Calling

So it's better to call a timeout with the clock stopped on 1st and 10 than it is to call a timeout with the clock stopped on 3rd and 10. I don't know why you can't see the obvious. You keep harping on "if we had gotten stopped short," but completely miss the point that if Richt had called our last two timeouts after the two runs, as you originally suggested, we wouldn't have even been able to stop the clock for a field goal try if we had been stopped short. I know you've since changed your tune to saying you would have only called a timeout on one of the runs, but that is clearly not what you said was your first instinct while watching the game. You would have been wrong. Plain and simple. Even in your perfect hypothetical scenario that you've crafted meticulously to fit your narrative, we may have still completed the TD pass, but had we been stopped short--your hypothetical where we need more time to get off another play--we would have had no way to stop the clock and get the field goal unit on the field.

Advertisement
So it's better to call a timeout with the clock stopped on 1st and 10 than it is to call a timeout with the clock stopped on 3rd and 10. I don't know why you can't see the obvious. You keep harping on "if we had gotten stopped short," but completely miss the point that if Richt had called our last two timeouts after the two runs, as you originally suggested, we wouldn't have even been able to stop the clock for a field goal try if we had been stopped short. I know you've since changed your tune to saying you would have only called a timeout on one of the runs, but that is clearly not what you said was your first instinct while watching the game. You would have been wrong. Plain and simple. Even in your perfect hypothetical scenario that you've crafted meticulously to fit your narrative, we may have still completed the TD pass, but had we been stopped short--your hypothetical where we need more time to get off another play--we would have had no way to stop the clock and get the field goal unit on the field.

Your first sentence illustrates your lack of understanding of the rules of football.

On a first down, the clock stops TEMPORARILY until the referees set the chains and the ball. The clock then begins to run BEFORE THE SNAP.

On an incompletion, the clock stops until the ball is snapped again.

The difference, for us, ON THAT DRIVE, was 6 seconds, which was enough for us to run one additional play if we had come up short. Had we not been as efficient and successful as we were at lining up after Homer's runs, even more time would have run off the clock.

I'm not sure why people who claim that they watch and understand football cannot grasp the significance of this. But I do know that you would be talking about this IF we had not scored the touchdown, and especially if we would have lost the game in regulation or overtime. THEN you would have become an expert on the differences in clock stoppages between a first down and an incompletion.

I always love a thread like this, it really exposes the guys who don't know the rules of football.

PS, I NEVER said that Richt should have used BOTH timeouts after the runs. That is just YOUR mistaken reading comprehension.

PPS, in my very first post on this thread, I said "I can understand saving one TO for a FG, but not both." Please explain how I "changed my tune" (which I did not). Also, please tell me what language I should use so that you can read my words and understand them at the same time.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay and something jumped out at me and this could have really gone horribly for us. CMR calls 2 huge run plays which Homer gets back to back first downs. The balls you have to have to call those run plays in with very little clock left! Gotta give him a ton of credit for the play calling especially when he is often criticized for his play calls. And then the finishing touch was not settling for a FG, we all know Golden crew would have taken a knee in that moment. Very proud of the team! They officially look competent. All we need to do is stop with the miscommunication between safeties and corners, and start taking better angles in the run game. a few of those big runs were completely shut down until a horrible angle was taken by a safety or LB.

I was fine with the running calls.

I was NOT fine with not taking a timeout after each. It all worked out for the best, but I was freaking the fvck out.

I can understand saving one TO for a FG, but not both.

"I was NOT fine with not taking a timeout AFTER EACH"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the replay and something jumped out at me and this could have really gone horribly for us. CMR calls 2 huge run plays which Homer gets back to back first downs. The balls you have to have to call those run plays in with very little clock left! Gotta give him a ton of credit for the play calling especially when he is often criticized for his play calls. And then the finishing touch was not settling for a FG, we all know Golden crew would have taken a knee in that moment. Very proud of the team! They officially look competent. All we need to do is stop with the miscommunication between safeties and corners, and start taking better angles in the run game. a few of those big runs were completely shut down until a horrible angle was taken by a safety or LB.

I was NOT fine with not taking a timeout after each. It all worked out for the best, but I was freaking the fvck out.

OK, so PLEASE allow me to understand the depths of your ignorance.

When I, in the same post, make it incredibly clear what I meant, you STILL choose to willfully ignore it, selectively quote it, and act like I "changed my tune" within 15 seconds of typing the sentence that you have fixated on?

Please tell me your SAT Verbal score. Because I can't imagine that you cracked 300.

We ran two running plays. You either take a TO on the first or the second. I was shocked EACH TIME that we did not take a TO. BOTH times, we lost 6 seconds that we could have saved. Do it once, OK. Do it twice, you are wasting precious time.

Again, I would be surprised that you think I "changed my tune" in the span of 15 seconds, but then I realize that multiple people on this thread can't differentiate between first down clock stoppages and incompletion clock stoppages.

Just accept your L like a man.

Advertisement

When I, in the same post, make it incredibly clear what I meant, you STILL choose to willfully ignore it, selectively quote it, and act like I "changed my tune" within 15 seconds of typing the sentence that you have fixated on?

Please tell me your SAT Verbal score. Because I can't imagine that you cracked 300.

We ran two running plays. You either take a TO on the first or the second. I was shocked EACH TIME that we did not take a TO. BOTH times, we lost 6 seconds that we could have saved. Do it once, OK. Do it twice, you are wasting precious time.

Again, I would be surprised that you think I "changed my tune" in the span of 15 seconds, but then I realize that multiple people on this thread can't differentiate between first down clock stoppages and incompletion clock stoppages.

You said after each. I'm sorry you can't understand what you wrote and somehow claim that everyone else is ignorant.

This is basic clock management, and you're failing at it miserably. You don't burn your timeouts with the clock stopped, even temporarily, so you'll have time on the clock to run a play later if you happen to get stopped. You hurry your *** up to the line and save the timeouts in case you get stopped in bounds or sacked. You'd have burned timeouts and looked like an utter fool if Berrios doesn't break a tackle and get out of bounds.

This is very basic stuff and you're the only one who doesn't get it.

You said after each. I'm sorry you can't understand what you wrote and somehow claim that everyone else is ignorant.

This is basic clock management, and you're failing at it miserably. You don't burn your timeouts with the clock stopped, even temporarily, so you'll have time on the clock to run a play later if you happen to get stopped. You hurry your *** up to the line and save the timeouts in case you get stopped in bounds or sacked. You'd have burned timeouts and looked like an utter fool if Berrios doesn't break a tackle and get out of bounds.

Well, once again, you have proven your inability to grasp things. Now you are claiming I can't understand what I wrote. Do you go to elementary schools and make kids hit themselves, so that you can say "stop hitting yourself"?

Look, I'm sorry that you have to stop reading after each sentence, and can't possibly handle two sentences in the same post. It happens. Lots of stupid people in the world.

But, hey, why don't we turn your "logic" back on yourself, shall we?

You wrote: "You don't burn your timeouts with the clock stopped".

Therefore, you admit that it was stupid of us to call a timeout after an incompletion.

Thank you for agreeing with me, even if you are too simple-minded to realize that you did so.

By the way, why are you too dense to realize that you just used the "if Berrios doesn't break a tackle" argument, when the EXACT same question should be applied to both runs possibly not picking up first downs (and the runs happened first)? You are a ridiculous human who does not know how to use logic.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Well, once again, you have proven your inability to grasp things. Now you are claiming I can't understand what I wrote. Do you go to elementary schools and make kids hit themselves, so that you can say "stop hitting yourself"?

Look, I'm sorry that you have to stop reading after each sentence, and can't possibly handle two sentences in the same post. It happens. Lots of stupid people in the world.

But, hey, why don't we turn your "logic" back on yourself, shall we?

You wrote: "You don't burn your timeouts with the clock stopped".

Therefore, you admit that it was stupid of us to call a timeout after an incompletion.

Thank you for agreeing with me, even if you are too simple-minded to realize that you did so.

By the way, why are you too dense to realize that you just used the "if Berrios doesn't break a tackle" argument, when the EXACT same question should be applied to both runs possibly not picking up first downs (and the runs happened first)? You are a ridiculous human who does not know how to use logic.

You dense ************. Of course you take the timeouts IF Homer doesn't get the first down. That's exactly why you don't waste them in that situation. If you burn the timeout on the first run, the second run never happens because you HAVE to save the last timeout for a field goal try. Congratulations. You used a timeout after the first run. You're a time management genius, but you're at midfield and you've limited yourself to calling out routes to the sideline to get out of bounds. No second run. No whip route to Berrios.

But at least you've got that extra 6 seconds to wallow in the fact that you just cost us the game. Great job corch.

The key thing to note about the two running plays on the final drive is that we finally had a healthy running back in the game.

FSU's D was surprised a bit by Homer's burst IMO.

The key thing to note about the two running plays on the final drive is that we finally had a healthy running back in the game.

I think it was more not expecting a run with so little time left, but having a healthy RB def made a difference.

On a first down, the clock stops until the chains are set. It's all a question of if the OL can get lined up (without drawing an illegal procedure penalty), when the play clock is started. These were 10 yard running plays, it's not like receivers were spread out down field.

How silly.

Our drive lasted 1:18. We had time to run ONE shot at the end zone. And you are saying that we could not have used an extra 6 seconds for another play. Amazing.

It's just amazing how one success will make anyone forget about every other factor.

I'm not afraid to say that we got lucky at the end, that all the things that needed to fall into place actually did fall into place. And, yes, we took advantage of our luck when the game was on the line. No apologies, but we need to improve our clock management.

Of course we got lucky! On any level, the odds of going the length of the field in 1:18 for a TD is poor. A great team can shift things a little but they're still not good. You need things to fall your way. And we're talking about 6 seconds. Unless you're right on the goal line, one extra play doesn't make it any more probable. What we're talking about is not an epic mismanagement like what Shannon did in that bowl game against California.

The football gods seemed to have been against us since the Fiasco Bowl. Maybe the law of averages is beginning to swing our way ... finally.

Advertisement

I think it was more not expecting a run with so little time left, but having a healthy RB def made a difference.

Had the guards not missed the blocks on Matthew Thomas those runs would've been bigger gains

might have been just to keep the pedal to the metal. It also maybe prevented some subs on their side. They were probably gassed. Why give them time to regroup? Personally I thought it was fine. Gave them just enough time to try one more play in the endzone and last second field goal with no time left on clock .

For the millionth time, we can talk about what-ifs all day long.

The bottom line is that if you are comparing, you know, ACTUAL TIME ON THE CLOCK to some sort of a strategy to minimize substitution, TIME ON THE CLOCK wins every single motherfvcking time.

If we do not get first downs, if we do not have incompletions, then the clock keeps running and we might never get in range for a FG, we might never get guys on the field to kick a FG, we might miss a FG.

Oh, but sure, we should waste time to prevent them from substituting.

Sometimes I wonder if some posters have ever actually played football.

It all worked out, so I'm fine as it played out, but it was certainly an unnecessary risk. ****, even the F$U defender could have committed pass interference on that play, which would have forced us to kick a FG.

NO GUARANTEES when kicking. NO GUARANTEES in OT.

I thank God it worked out as it did, but it was idiotic to not use one of our TOs after a running play on that drive.

Yea.......i'll go with Coach Richt on this one.

Oh and yea we won

Ignorant post.

We took a timeout after an incompletion.

No amount of "after-the-fact-justification" changes the actual reality of what transpired.

We made a mistake, and we were fortunate to get the win, and not just tie the game and pray for overtime.

Nothing ignorant about it. Richt chose to manage the clock how he thought it would be best.

We won the game. Last year against FSU he similarly managed it and we would have tied the game if not for a fluke extra point miss.

You can cry and b.itch when he manages it "incorrectly" in your eyes and it leads to a loss.

Otherwise who gives a ****. We won the f.cuking game lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back