Lashlee

If they land Gus, they'll become more of a problem for P5 schools and more a of power in G5. Boys cooking with gas in Orlando. UCF is going to take FSU's place in the Big3 if FSU keeps their current trend. Lol
Except that if Malzahn (or any other previous P5 head coach) does anything there then they'll more than likely leave within 2 seasons for a P5 job. Unless the Playoff is expanded the natural ceiling on UCF will prevent them from keeping anyone in that spot.

Advertisement
I think Lashlee has great potential but needs a little more on his resume. And it never hurts to interview if for nothing else than the experience of it.
I want to keep Lashlee as well but your point is moot. Lashlee has done more and proven himself a whole lot more than someone like Shane Beamer, who just got the South Carolina job.

Advertisement
I was told Lashlee is picky with what job he takes and wanted to hang around here one more year. He’s getting tired of moving his kids around. So if he leaves it’ll be a job he plans on staying at for a few years. With our offense taking another step next year ( it should) he’ll have better offers than UCF.
Very good news, I just don't see many schools that are better than UCF and that can realistically go after Lashlee next year. I think that UCF is a VERY good job for a first time HC, one of the best in the nation imho.

If Lashlee is smart, which he is then he will stay at Miami for at least an additional 3 years in order develop a few QB'S an get them drafted. Then he will have his pick of P5 head coaching gigs.

Currently he has yet to have developed any QB'S, his claim to fame coming from the Gus Malzhan tree of coaching won't help much now that Gus got fired. If Rhett stays at Miami, develops his local ties for future recruiting in Florida and pumps out several offensive NFL players, then his stock will sky rocket. Miami is like a graduate school independent study in head coaching right now both for Manny and Rhett.

Go Canes

Except that if Malzahn (or any other previous P5 head coach) does anything there then they'll more than likely leave within 2 seasons for a P5 job. Unless the Playoff is expanded the natural ceiling on UCF will prevent them from keeping anyone in that spot.
This is going to be the case for any G5 coaching hire unless you luck into a Frank Solich type of situation. Although it could happen with Malzahn. He’s getting older, he’s already coached at the highest college level. He might be looking for a nice place to play out the rest of his career and you could do a lot worse than Orlando in that regard. He’ll never win a national championship but to be real, how many schools can you actually win one at realistically? The money wouldn’t be as good as P5 money but the stress of expectations would be lower. I know these coaches all have egos and they always want to prove themselves at the highest levels but I’m surprised more older coaches don’t settle into comfortable g5 jobs.

Advertisement
This is going to be the case for any G5 coaching hire unless you luck into a Frank Solich type of situation. Although it could happen with Malzahn. He’s getting older, he’s already coached at the highest college level. He might be looking for a nice place to play out the rest of his career and you could do a lot worse than Orlando in that regard. He’ll never win a national championship but to be real, how many schools can you actually win one at realistically? The money wouldn’t be as good as P5 money but the stress of expectations would be lower. I know these coaches all have egos and they always want to prove themselves at the highest levels but I’m surprised more older coaches don’t settle into comfortable g5 jobs.

When you “settle into” a job where competition is involved, you’re dead.

When you “settle into” a job where competition is involved, you’re dead.
Disagree. When I say settle in, I mean to stop chasing the bigger job. Nick Saban has been settled in at Alabama since he got there. He’s never going back to pro football.

Disagree. When I say settle in, I mean to stop chasing the bigger job. Nick Saban has been settled in at Alabama since he got there. He’s never going back to pro football.

Yeah but there’s no bigger job in college football than what Saban has. There are lateral moves, but arguably nothing bigger.

I think settling is settling. JMO. Sounds like retiring to me.

UCF is a ticky-tacky job, with a ticky-tacky erector set stadium, and ticky-tacky facilities, if he’s going to settle for that, I don’t see it. And if he does settle for that, he’s done.

Nobody with any ambition wants to stay there for very long, and if you don’t have ambition, you’re done. That’s just the way I look at it, and the way I look at that program. I don’t think they’ll ever be anything.

Yeah but there’s no bigger job in college football than what Saban has. There are lateral moves, but arguably nothing bigger.

I think settling is settling. JMO. Sounds like retiring to me.

UCF is a ticky-tacky job, with a ticky-tacky erector set stadium, and ticky-tacky facilities, if he’s going to settle for that, I don’t see it. And if he does settle for that, he’s done.

Nobody with any ambition wants to stay there for very long, and if you don’t have ambition, you’re done. That’s just the way I look at it, and the way I look at that program. I don’t think they’ll ever be anything.
What about guys like Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder? Nobody is staying at Iowa or Kansas State if their only goal is to advance their career. Those guys realized that they had a good thing going and stayed at their ticky tack universities instead of taking the next job offer they got. Well, Ferentz is still at Iowa but he’s not going anywhere. Some guys prefer long term stability over having to move your family every three years. Especially if you’re an older guy.

Advertisement
The best programs get their coordinators considered and even poached to be head coach. The question is, can we retain our best coaches? And if not, are we capable of maintaining the quality we lose?
Think we’ve seen the team can hire quality coaches

Very good news, I just don't see many schools that are better than UCF and that can realistically go after Lashlee next year. I think that UCF is a VERY good job for a first time HC, one of the best in the nation imho.

UCF is the best G5 job in the country and I could easily argue it's better than a decent number of Power 5 jobs.

Advertisement
Much rather coach at UCF than Kansas, Wake Forest, Duke, Vandy. Probably over places like Oregon State, Washington State, Texas Tech, Indiana, Illinois, and Kansas State too.

I want to keep Lashlee as well but your point is moot. Lashlee has done more and proven himself a whole lot more than someone like Shane Beamer, who just got the South Carolina job.
It’s all debatable. Even though USCe is in the SEC, SEC, SEC, it’s not exactly a premier destination.

I’m happy Lashlee is a Cane and he's had some success but adding to his resume at the U will only enhance his opportunities.

Advertisement
Back