Lashlee

I would love to see that 2nd year Lashlee bump that he's had before. No real interest in starting with a whole new system.
I agree. However, IF he were to leave soon, at least we know it's alright to get with the times.

Advertisement
This is going to be the case for any G5 coaching hire unless you luck into a Frank Solich type of situation. Although it could happen with Malzahn. He’s getting older, he’s already coached at the highest college level. He might be looking for a nice place to play out the rest of his career and you could do a lot worse than Orlando in that regard. He’ll never win a national championship but to be real, how many schools can you actually win one at realistically? The money wouldn’t be as good as P5 money but the stress of expectations would be lower. I know these coaches all have egos and they always want to prove themselves at the highest levels but I’m surprised more older coaches don’t settle into comfortable g5 jobs.
I agree with a lot of what you just said but my only two exclusions regarding Malzahn are that he's (surprisingly) only 55 years old and he's spent the crux of his career in a conference that thinks they're the 9th NFL division so it might be even harder for him to "settle" in Orlando the moment his name re-heats if they have any actual success.

What about guys like Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder? Nobody is staying at Iowa or Kansas State if their only goal is to advance their career. Those guys realized that they had a good thing going and stayed at their ticky tack universities instead of taking the next job offer they got. Well, Ferentz is still at Iowa but he’s not going anywhere. Some guys prefer long term stability over having to move your family every three years. Especially if you’re an older guy.

So you think Malzahn wants to be the next Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder?

So you think Malzahn wants to be the next Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder?
Unlikely but it's possible. Bill Snyder is in the college football hall of fame. The stadium in Manhattan Kansas is named after him and it has a giant statue of him in front. The dude had a really good run despite never winning any national championships. In Auburn, Gus Malzahn is known as the guy who wasn't as good as Gene Chizik. OK, the last part isn't actually the case but the people on the planes chased him out with pitchforks and torches.

Glad UCF took Gus and not Lashlee, Now I need Miami to fire Manny and give Lashlee the HC position. If not he gone next year.

Advertisement
Unlikely but it's possible. Bill Snyder is in the college football hall of fame. The stadium in Manhattan Kansas is named after him and it has a giant statue of him in front. The dude had a really good run despite never winning any national championships. In Auburn, Gus Malzahn is known as the guy who wasn't as good as Gene Chizik. OK, the last part isn't actually the case but the people on the planes chased him out with pitchforks and torches.

I mean, yeah, that’s great, if your aspiration is to be a legend in Kansas, in football, then who am I to look down on that.

I would love to see that 2nd year Lashlee bump that he's had before. No real interest in starting with a whole new system.

Pretty significant jump in Year 2 at SMU:

2018 (Year 1): 27.5 PPG (67th), 5.11 YPP (105th), 31.58% on 3rd down (123rd), 121st in the country in Rushing YPG, 123rd in the country in Rushing YPC, 92nd in the country in Red Zone TD %

2019 (Year 2): 41.8 PPG (5th), 6.14 YPP (33rd), 43.87% on 3rd down (29th), 39th in the country in Rushing YPG, 56th in the country in Rushing YPC, 58th in the country in Red Zone TD %

Serious improvements.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back