Lashlee and the SMU Canes(y'all words, not mine)...

Our OL was awful when Rhett was here which made his coaching job more impressive. Our staring center then is a backup at freaking SMU lol. Rhett schemed guys WIDE OPEN . Oh and he used the te’s. People legit forget how bad our offenses had been and the OL’s before his arrival.
He had 2 players that got drafted total and both played tight end. No coordinator did more with less. He wasn’t perfect but if you consider our offense had NO NFL talent besides Jordan and Mallory and our offensive line was made up of guys who can’t start for G5 teams, it’s impressive.

Advertisement
He had 2 players that got drafted total and both played tight end. No coordinator did more with less. He wasn’t perfect but if you consider our offense had NO NFL talent besides Jordan and Mallory and our offensive line was made up of guys who can’t start for G5 teams, it’s impressive.
Totally agree. I had my gripes with him but as a whole I was quite happy with him.

I've been very critical of Lashlee over the years for a lot of the reasons Brook laid out. I will admit looking back at how terrible those rosters were leaves me slightly more fogiving of his time here. That being said the goose eggs he lays in big games still weigh heavy.

Advertisement
No ****? Next year? Ok then it’s still a lateral move.
They were in it this year. Next year Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah join. This year it was Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UCF that joined.

Edit: Also I don’t even think it’s a lateral move but a step down. SMU boosters were just waiting to get in the game. Once they announced they were moving to the ACC they raised $100 million in 7 days and they are building a new football facility in the endzone. Now with NIL in play the boosters are loving it. Remember they got the death penalty back in the day bc they didn’t give an F about paying players (pony express).

Last edited:
I've been very critical of Lashlee over the years for a lot of the reasons Brook laid out. I will admit looking back at how terrible those rosters were leaves me slightly more fogiving of his time here. That being said the goose eggs he lays in big games still weigh heavy.
Yeah, there were a few duds. I’m not going to sit here and say otherwise. The dude did a good job given the players he had to work with. He wasn’t a miracle worker. You’re not going to compete with Alabama or peak Clemson with Dee Wiggins and DJ Scaife.

I think I was just happy to have an offense that wasn’t stuck in 1995. Those teams were exciting and high scoring if not particularly talented.

I'd rather UM just skip a bowl game than go into one with a walk-on at QB.
You’d rather go in and get the younger guys playing experience. This was my first thought but **** it our record sucks in bowl games over the last 15 years so what’s the worst that could happen?

Advertisement
You’d rather go in and get the younger guys playing experience. This was my first thought but **** it our record sucks in bowl games over the last 15 years so what’s the worst that could happen?
You’re right. The extra practices are nice too.

Advertisement
digging into my bad memories.... someone correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't Lashlee the same guy who used to scheme Wiggins and Pope OPEN... like ALL the time and they just couldn't catch a **** cold lol?? Yeah now imagine him with our talent now lol sheesh

Advertisement
digging into my bad memories.... someone correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't Lashlee the same guy who used to scheme Wiggins and Pope OPEN... like ALL the time and they just couldn't catch a **** cold lol?? Yeah now imagine him with our talent now lol sheesh
we've had people open all year under dawson

3 open TD's ignored / missed by TVD on the first drive against BC alone

we've had people open all year under dawson

3 open TD's ignored / missed by TVD on the first drive against BC alone
Oh most definitely... but that's on TVD not even giving them a chance. I was just saying that Wiggins and Pope are not even on the level of our WRs that we have now and they use to be open all the time, just couldn't catch lol. idk, maybe they were just exceptional route runners and im giving Lashlee too much credit, idk.

Our OL was awful when Rhett was here which made his coaching job more impressive. Our staring center then is a backup at freaking SMU lol. Rhett schemed guys WIDE OPEN . Oh and he used the te’s. People legit forget how bad our offenses had been and the OL’s before his arrival.

That was my point too. He uses the personnel he has very well, and adjusts when needed. The guy would have been happy running the ball 60%+ of the time but with our OL that was an impossibility against good comp.

I actually expect the Dawson/Mario combo to move to a more multiple playbook once they find the right QB and TEs who can both block and catch the ball. My issue is they didn't have that this season, and wouldn't make adjustments until game 11 and 12. I mean, that's just stubbornness.

Oh most definitely... but that's on TVD not even giving them a chance. I was just saying that Wiggins and Pope are not even on the level of our WRs that we have now and they use to be open all the time, just couldn't catch lol. idk, maybe they were just exceptional route runners and im giving Lashlee too much credit, idk.

No I think you're being fair to Lashlee. I would go so far as to say the TVD failures need to be attributed to Dawson/Mario as well. First, because we didn't have a backup other than Williams who wasn't ready. Second, because Lashlee figured out how to get guys open that TVD was able to hit, despite all of the latter's limitations.

Advertisement
Back