Lashlee and the SMU Canes(y'all words, not mine)...

Advertisement
Someone on one of the UM facebook pages is claiming SMU vs UM in the Military Bowl.
Just what I needed in my life, frozen bowl game 2 miles from my house watching us get lit
up by Lashlee and a bunch of former Canes.

They haven’t been lit up all year. They come to play every game. Now we may not have a QB, but there is a very low chance SMU lights up these Canes.

Frankly for one game, It would be fun to see Brashard Smith at QB and we play like we are Army. I doubt SMU would have the ability to stop that.

Advertisement
They haven’t been lit up all year. They come to play every game. Now we may not have a QB, but there is a very low chance SMU lights up these Canes.

Frankly for one game, It would be fun to see Brashard Smith at QB and we play like we are Army. I doubt SMU would have the ability to stop that.
We have to have a guy on the roster, a RB that is, that can run the wildcat...right?

Uh, what?
If we don't have a QB and he to resort to a walkon, we will be lit up indeed.
This is the 21st century, you have to score points.

Advertisement
Perfectly put. Lashlee wasn't perfect here at all. But boy was he the best we've had in a long time.

I still dream about those little plays where Kosi/King would fake like it was a QB draw, but pull back and hit Mallory down the middle for a huge gain. Or when he play action faked on a 4th and 1 and hit Rooster on a wheel route for a huge td.

We will likely never see simple creativity like that again under Mario, and that makes me sad. Maybe we will at the end of seasons last game, when his smashmouth style has failed all season and were 6-5 with nothing to lose or gain.
Ummm. Statistically speaking that's nowhere near true. Always amused me how hindsight works on here. You need any reminders go look up our rushing stats under him. Go look up our offense period in the red zone which is the only place that counts. I guess with him the record doesn't matter either nor results against ranked squads... Don't attempt to rewrite history just so you can validate your thoughts. If you liked him or his concepts well that's your opinion. That's great and you're allowed to have one just like everyone else. Doesn't make it accurate though.

They're not Oregon. not even close.

They're one of the top 2 or 3 G5 teams. They're 5th in the nation in scoring and 13th in scoring defense.

They've beat up on the teams in their talent bracket but their two losses were to the two P5 teams they played.

AAC Championship game vs Tulane this weekend should be a **** of a game.

They also run the ball more than they throw it and average 180 yards per game rushing for all the lAsHlEe CaN't CaLl RuNnInG PlAyS! folks on CIS.
Is that hard to believe? As anyone who knows football said when lashlee first got here IDEALLY he goes power run to set up his passing game. We didn't have that personnel and as a result he **** near abandoned the run by the end of the season each year he was here. We'd start off the season not too bad and as soon as we got into the conference schedule our run game would disappear. What he's doing now and in a conference full of mediocrity has nothing to do with what he did here... That's for the folks on CIS. If you're actually debating whether or not that's true feel free to look up our rushing stats while he was here.

Not a fan of the SMCanes talk 😂.
Nah. That's doesn't bother me. I'm used to stupid takes by most of our fanbase as context has never been 90% of the sites strength. Also got no problem with most of the kids who left. They did what was best for them and their situation. The fact that many of them transferred to essentially fau should tell you enough about how those kids were regarded. Sorry but smu as of now plays in a kiddy league and they just have far better talent and production than the vast majority of people they play. So far that hasn't worked out well against power 5 teams this year or last.

Advertisement
Ummm. Statistically speaking that's nowhere near true. Always amused me how hindsight works on here. You need any reminders go look up our rushing stats under him. Go look up our offense period in the red zone which is the only place that counts. I guess with him the record doesn't matter either nor results against ranked squads... Don't attempt to rewrite history just so you can validate your thoughts. If you liked him or his concepts well that's your opinion. That's great and you're allowed to have one just like everyone else. Doesn't make it accurate though.
This response is way too aggressive for what I typed lol.

I said he was far from perfect in my post.

And I don't give a **** about him or his concepts. I only give a **** about how many points we scored. Was I wrong in that statement I made that he's been the best?

Maybe I was, I didnt research it down to the nitty gritty. But what OC put up more points if so?

And please don't revert to specific stats like red zone or rushing. Talk to me about points, that's the REAL only thing that matters (not redzone scoring like you said). I team can reach the redzone once and score a touchdown (100%) or reach the redzone 10 times times and score three times (30%). You really gonna claim the former is better there?

Is that hard to believe? As anyone who knows football said when lashlee first got here IDEALLY he goes power run to set up his passing game. We didn't have that personnel and as a result he **** near abandoned the run by the end of the season each year he was here. We'd start off the season not too bad and as soon as we got into the conference schedule our run game would disappear. What he's doing now and in a conference full of mediocrity has nothing to do with what he did here... That's for the folks on CIS. If you're actually debating whether or not that's true feel free to look up our rushing stats while he was here.
You think that most of the people here knew that he was a Gus disciple? That before he went to SMU, he didn’t run any air raid at all? Because if you ask 10 people here, 9 of them will tell you that all he wanted to do was pass on every down and he had no idea how a run game worked.

As for what he did here, in 2020 they averaged 165 yards per game. Conference game rushing yards:

Louisville: 160
FSU: 200
Clemson: 89
Pitt: 109
Virginia:102
NC State: 194
Virginia Tech: 131
Duke: 220
UNC: 75

142 yards per game in conference with a really weak line. Add another 156 in the bowl game. So, not bad but not great.

Now in 2021 the running game fell off a cliff in the second half and the only way they could score was to let Van Dyke throw it all over the place but if you look at the numbers, the real story is that the run game fell off as soon as they ran out of running backs. Through the first six games they averaged 160 yards rushing. Then Can Harris got hurt against UNC. The final six games with pretty much only Jaylan Knighton, they only averaged 97 yards per game. We all know that line was pretty terrible and combine that with no healthy running backs, they had no choice but to throw it a lot. That’s the only reason they won 5 of the last 6.

The bottom line is that Lashlee has always wanted a power running game but sometimes you just don’t have the personnel. So he went pass happy for a half season. Good coaches adjust to their players’ strengths. Now the bum that took over for him the following season didn’t understand that, proceeded to run an offense that averaged under 20 points per game and got fired. The current guy seems somewhere in between. It seems like he’s capable of adjusting things but it also seems like it takes him a long time to make the adjustments. We’ll have to see how that works out in the long run.

Advertisement
SMU is probably our only chance to play against a top 25 team in a bowl which would be the best win to finish the season so I’d be excited to play them.

Some of you guys are so soft and afraid of everything

You think that most of the people here knew that he was a Gus disciple? That before he went to SMU, he didn’t run any air raid at all? Because if you ask 10 people here, 9 of them will tell you that all he wanted to do was pass on every down and he had no idea how a run game worked.

As for what he did here, in 2020 they averaged 165 yards per game. Conference game rushing yards:

Louisville: 160
FSU: 200
Clemson: 89
Pitt: 109
Virginia:102
NC State: 194
Virginia Tech: 131
Duke: 220
UNC: 75

142 yards per game in conference with a really weak line. Add another 156 in the bowl game. So, not bad but not great.

Now in 2021 the running game fell off a cliff in the second half and the only way they could score was to let Van Dyke throw it all over the place but if you look at the numbers, the real story is that the run game fell off as soon as they ran out of running backs. Through the first six games they averaged 160 yards rushing. Then Can Harris got hurt against UNC. The final six games with pretty much only Jaylan Knighton, they only averaged 97 yards per game. We all know that line was pretty terrible and combine that with no healthy running backs, they had no choice but to throw it a lot. That’s the only reason they won 5 of the last 6.

The bottom line is that Lashlee has always wanted a power running game but sometimes you just don’t have the personnel. So he went pass happy for a half season. Good coaches adjust to their players’ strengths. Now the bum that took over for him the following season didn’t understand that, proceeded to run an offense that averaged under 20 points per game and got fired. The current guy seems somewhere in between. It seems like he’s capable of adjusting things but it also seems like it takes him a long time to make the adjustments. We’ll have to see how that works out in the long run.
Our OL was awful when Rhett was here which made his coaching job more impressive. Our staring center then is a backup at freaking SMU lol. Rhett schemed guys WIDE OPEN . Oh and he used the te’s. People legit forget how bad our offenses had been and the OL’s before his arrival.

SMU is probably our only chance to play against a top 25 team in a bowl which would be the best win to finish the season so I’d be excited to play them.

Some of you guys are so soft and afraid of everything
If we have a quarterback, I think we’d smoke them. Especially since they lost their starting quarterback.

Advertisement
Back