Larry Fedora: A Closer Look

Advertisement
2. Miami was built on guys looking to climb the ladder and move on. If he wants to springboard to a new head coaching gig, good. That means he’s hungry and ambitious. I don’t need lifers. Plus, I’ll take 2 years of a top 25 offense.

I don't understand why people get hung up on this. Logic dictates that people tend to hire based on performance. So...You want other schools/jobs to want your coaches. If your coaches are having success, other schools/jobs tend to notice. They then want to get your coaches because they're performing well. If nobody is going after your coaches, that likely isn't a good thing.

These coaches, for the most part, aren't one of a kind. They're replaceable. If one guy leaves, bring in the next one. If a guy isn't performing well, get rid of him. This is very simple.

Fedookie's offenses at UNC ranking over the last 5 yr. Let this sink in with the exception of 1 year, Miami's offense under Coach Richt and under Al Golden where better than Fedookie's by a wide margin.

Data taken from NCAA site
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

2018 77th scoring offense (UM was 67th)
2017 83rd scoring offense ( UM was 60th)
2016 44th scoring offense ( UM was 37th)
2015 9th scoring offense (UM was 77th)
2014 36th scoring offense ( UM was 59th)

7 and 10 spots are NOT a wide margin.... 9 to 77, that's what a wide margin looks like....... also 2 years not 1 where unc was better offense than miami. 2014 2015

tenor.gif

Advertisement
During the Dark Ages of Dorito, when famine and disease was widespread, children suffered in the streets, and the sun was not seen for years, we all pleaded to the Gods to send us “an aggressive, attacking defense that utilizes Miami’s speed.

Excellent write up. Have to say this was my favorite part though.

With rumors emerging that Diaz is sizing him up as his OC, I began looking deeper into Fedora’s career. I must say, after thinking it was going to be some guy who’s never called plays before named Ponce, only to hear Fedora’s name called, I was relieved.

Now, as far as a fit for Miami and Manny goes, after doing some research, I don’t believe an OC hire gets better than this.

But before getting to that, just to first get this out of the way again, here’s his body of work as an offensive coordinator:

Offensive Coordinator History: Total Offenses
Mid Tenn St: 71
Mid Tenn St: 16
Mid Tenn St: 5

Florida: 22nd

OSU: 92nd
OSU: 16th
OSU: 7th

Southern Miss: 20th
Southern Miss: 31st
Southern Miss: 18th
Southern Miss: 17th

8 of his 11 seasons as an offensive coordinator, he produced a top 25 offense.
His only truly poor seasons came both times in his first year at a school, and once in his first year ever as a coordinator.

Adaptability of Manny Diaz
As we know, Diaz is a very analytics-driven guy. He’s a far cry from the Richt school of thought where if you lost a game you simply didn’t “whip the man in front of you” or “give 110%.” The whole packing a lunch box to the game, jug-headed Neanderthal approach to the game is dying.

Manny is the modern sports intellectual and studies trends, self-evaluates, and adapts. Again, this was seen in practice the clearest when it came to 3rd down defense. After a 2017 season of getting his tlts torn off (ranked 75th in the country) on 3rd downs, he sat down, said “my shlt isn’t working” and invented the striker position. He admitted he was wrong, went back to the drawing board, and as you now, we had the best 3rd down defense in the country this season.

Manny leaned out his 3rd down defense and got faster. What are the intangibles people like about him? Innovative and adaptable. That’s the name of the game. Innovative and adaptable.

Enter Larry Fedora
With Manny, at least one thing you’ll get at head coach in Miami is a bright football mind. The last 4 hires were not X and O guys and weren’t going to give you a schematic advantage on either side is the ball. Manny is an analytics nerd and studies both the trend and performance of his team, along with those of college football.

In this regard, experts project that Fedora and Diaz’s vibing quotient “would be off the charts.” Here we observe that Fedora, like Manny, has always been a huge fan of studying not only his team’s every down performance, but the trends in college football. He’s also honed in on proactively adapting his system against defenses shifting toward stopping his offense’s tendencies:

Fedora was on the ground floor of the advanced metrics game in college football, always staying ahead of the curve and constantly undergoing self-evaluation and looking for feedback to improve:

A Schematic Fit Equal to Manny
During the Dark Ages of Dorito, when famine and disease was widespread, children suffered in the streets, and the sun was not seen for years, we all pleaded to the Gods to send us “an aggressive, attacking defense that utilizes Miami’s speed.” We just wanted our 4-3 defense because we knew it magnified our local talent and turned our defense into a championship caliber group of dogs.

Offensively, our recruiting area is just as ripe with that same speed and devastating explosiveness in our athletes. In the 80s, Miami found itself routinely at the forefront of offensive concepts. However, in the last 2 decades, the school you’d most expect to utilize true modern uptempo spread tactics has stayed away. No, instead we have several fans still clamoring for an offense comprised solely of fullbacks and tight ends. “Pro style offense, bro!” Even as the NFL shifts more and more toward college spread concepts.

However, with Fedora, we would finally have an offensive coordinator who wants to put his foot on the gas pedal, and not let up until he’s got 80 on the board. This season we were all disgusted with our lack of pace and our inability to stretch the field horizontally. Defenses never got tired, never had to take a false step or defend the whole field, and we’re able to basically sit Indian style in a circle with their DC getting their play call as Nkosi Perry clapped like a trained circus seal until the playclock read :01.

With Fedora, that South Florida speed would finally be let out of its cage and onto the track:

And as for adaptability, Manny and Fedora are also a great fit. As discussed above, Manny is not a guy who will just run his system every year without understanding his personnel. He won’t just blame the players and call them cancers like a certain recently fired bug-eyed weirdo who puts a tinfoil tent over his genitals whenever he drives by a Red Lobster. Fedora focuses in on both his personnel and his chess match with the defense:

Constantly adapting:

Wrapping it Up:
- Fedora gives you years of experience as a playcaller
- His style of offense - like Manny’s defense- is a perfect fit for the athlete Miami recruits
- Fedora is an analytics guy that thrives on innovation
- He will tailor his offense to his personnel
- He will adapt to that personnel as well as what a defense throws at him

If you have a chance to hire a passionate former ex coach that posted a winning record, and also has a long body of work as a highly-successful coordinator, you scoop him up immediately. This is the type of hire Saban makes and we all roll our eyes in envy.

Do it, Manny. DO IT.

**** good piece.

Things I like about Fedora, he would finally bring some type of spread to miami! We would be over 10 years late to the party and we would probably rustle all the bro I love when we would throw to quadtrine hill in the flats bros, but finally! Also he runs tempo and would push pace, these are all important in modern day college ball, also his O puts use to motion and such so there is movement...

things that make me question a lil, I feel his O was more spread 1.0 dink and dunk down field. The spread has evolved in last few years and what guys were doing 10 years ago still works but not as well. DC have caught up to it and in the big games that type of stuff gets shut down, tempo and movement alone will blowout lesser teams but that dink dunk stuff isnt only thing you could do.

His success at UNC could be attributed to Seth Litrell OC, who is another air raid disciple, hopefully you would think he learned a great deal from him and him only being an OC he can grow that offense to be more lethal, but when Litrell left UNC, the success went down and wheels fell off. Offense was never the same. Fedora was there, now they had issues/scandals so have to take into account. Also he isnt known as recruiter, just talk to people on whatever unc board you can find and see if anybody will talk football as they are more bball driven but they say his recruiting wasnt the best. Have to take good and bad, I know @WhatTheHell, wont just blindly support a coach anymore after his initial allegiance to Al salesman, lol..

Got to look at pros and cons, to me pros out way the cons, and it would be a great step in right direction as we need to get with modern college ball and let nfl pro style bro mindset DIE in program culture. Bring fast paced tempo spread and adopt it wholeheartidly in addition to our aggressive D, and you will win alot of games, they will be exciting brand of football, light up scoreboards, which will be best recruiting tool to bring in talent and get better. We really only play 1-2 game seasons anyway. just find a way to win those games

Advertisement
Defenses never got tired, never had to take a false step or defend the whole field, and we’re able to basically sit Indian style in a circle with their DC getting their play call as Nkosi Perry clapped like a trained circus seal until the playclock hits :01.

He won’t just blame the players and call them cancers like a certain recently fired bug-eyed weirdo who puts a tinfoil tent over his genitals whenever he drives by a Red Lobster.

I’m dying

Your ignoring the fact taken as whole UM had better offenses. There are better choices out there that did more with less. For instance the Gary Pinkel / Mike Leach disciple who had the #3 offense in the country utilizing mostly 2* kids. Or when he was at Mizzou lit the SEC on fire and placed 3 QB'S in the NFL.. David Yost is a way better OC than Fedookie.

Go Canes
Yost has a job. I mean make the offer if you want, but doubtful he leaves a new job with a coach he followed. This go get coach X who has a job thing is pie in the sky.

Yost has a job. I mean make the offer if you want, but doubtful he leaves a new job with a coach he followed. This go get coach X who has a job thing is pie in the sky.

Manny had a job too in The city of brotherly love, an yet loved another.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I am on the fence about the hire. I think he we can do better but I can understand that ppl like the idea of it
Who are your alternatives? The names I keep seeing people throwing out there have recently taken new jobs. I'm all on board with going young and getting someone like Harrell, Bedenbaugh is interesting too, but I don't think either are appreciably better.

Fantastic post, once again WTH.

My only worry: his analytics and approach seem to have failed him in his later years. I know he wasn’t a focused OC but you know he had his hand in the evaluating, recruiting and developing those trash QBs. Was there a sort of shift or did he just get into an unlucky patch of bad QB prospects he couldn’t recover to save his job from.

Advertisement
I said it yesterday before Barry Jackson made the tweet and I'll say it again, we simply CANNOT make a better OC hire FOR THIS TEAM than Larry Fedora.

From a friend of mine who has an unhealthy obsession with all things UNC (Undergrad, Masters, PhD)...funny as **** NC mountain man...

"Fedora going there would make for a doubly interesting game when they play UNC. Mack Brown fired Diaz as DC at Texas. A lot of connections between the teams. Fedora's O with Diaz' D might be a winner. Fedora never had a strong D at UNC. They might have gotten there with Chizik, but he never fully bought in, and recruiting suffered. I don't think Chizik ever fully relocated to Chapel Hill."

"If Fedora has the right players, he will score points, but he will lose the time of possession unless the D can get off the field quickly. One thing that drove me crazy about Fedora is you could be picking up 5 or 6 yards on every running play, but as soon as they crossed midfield, he would call a low percentage long pass. Beautiful when it worked, but it usually didn't. Then it's 2nd and 10, and you're behind the chains on what had been a good drive."

"Remember, he scored 37 against Clemson in the ACCCG, but gave up 45. The D gets tired and can't hold 4th Qtr leads."

"This year [2018], going in for a two score lead against late in the 4th, running back fumbles at the goal line. Not the coaches fault, but then the D can't keep Va Tech from going 98 yards. This year had Syracuse beat in the 4th qtr, but couldn't hold it. In OT, Syr went first, scored a TD. UNC got a TD. Every UNC fan said, you're on the road, end it right now one way or the other, go for two. UNC kicked it. UNC didn't score in the 2nd OT, and lost the game."

" There will be some head scratching stuff with Larry. Probably a pretty good recruiter, but guys in the last few years didn't match their star ratings. I don't know if it was S&C or just bad luck, but UNC had a lot of injuries the last two years. In 2017, 23 guys were out for the Miami game. That's 25% of team. Give Fedora a healthy, mobile QB, and he will score some points with those boys in Miami. "

Advertisement
Back