Larry Fedora: A Closer Look

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
With rumors emerging that Diaz is sizing him up as his OC, I began looking deeper into Fedora’s career. I must say, after thinking it was going to be some guy who’s never called plays before named Ponce, only to hear Fedora’s name called, I was relieved.

Now, as far as a fit for Miami and Manny goes, after doing some research, I don’t believe an OC hire gets better than this.

But before getting to that, just to first get this out of the way again, here’s his body of work as an offensive coordinator:

Offensive Coordinator History: Total Offenses
Mid Tenn St: 71
Mid Tenn St: 16
Mid Tenn St: 5

Florida: 22nd

OSU: 92nd
OSU: 16th
OSU: 7th

Southern Miss: 20th
Southern Miss: 31st
Southern Miss: 18th
Southern Miss: 17th

8 of his 11 seasons as an offensive coordinator, he produced a top 25 offense.
His only truly poor seasons came both times in his first year at a school, and once in his first year ever as a coordinator.

Larry Fedora: A Smart.. Guy?

It was during Fedora’s first stint as an offensive assistant at Baylor in the early 1990s that he began tracking nearly every statistic he could get his hands on. As the years passed by and he eventually moved on to Air Force in 1997, that database grew and began to highlight trends in the college game. At the same time, Fedora watched as opponents stacked the box to counter Fisher DeBerry’s triple option. Despite Air Force’s unquestionable success – the Falcons were 22-4 during his two-year stint in Colorado Springs – Fedora pushed his Hall of Fame head coach to add a forward pass to take advantage of defensive schemes designed to stop the run.

Fedora was on the ground floor of the advanced metrics game in college football, always staying ahead of the curve and constantly undergoing self-evaluation and looking for feedback to improve:

Fedora followed Rodriguez’s lead in emphasizing tempo in a no-huddle setting, and he also continued tracking every play of every game to provide insight into what worked and what didn’t. It was an entry into advanced metrics that wouldn’t become mainstream until more than a decade later.

A Schematic Fit
During the Dark Ages of Dorito, when famine and disease was widespread, children suffered in the streets, and the sun was not seen for years, we all pleaded to the Gods to send us “an aggressive, attacking defense that utilizes Miami’s speed.” We just wanted our 4-3 defense because we knew it magnified our local talent and turned our defense into a championship caliber group of dogs.

Offensively, our recruiting area is just as ripe with that same speed and devastating explosiveness in our athletes. In the 80s, Miami found itself routinely at the forefront of offensive concepts. However, in the last 2 decades, the school you’d most expect to utilize true modern uptempo spread tactics has stayed away. No, instead we have several fans still clamoring for an offense comprised solely of fullbacks and tight ends. “Pro style offense, bro!” Even as the NFL shifts more and more toward college spread concepts.

With Fedora, we would finally have an offensive coordinator who wants to put his foot on the gas pedal, and not let up until he’s got 80 on the board. This season we were all disgusted with our lack of pace and our inability to stretch the field horizontally. Defenses never got tired, never had to take a false step or defend the whole field, and were able to basically sit Indian style in a circle with their DC getting their play call as Nkosi Perry clapped like a trained circus seal until the playclock read :01.

With Fedora, that South Florida speed would finally be let out of its cage and onto the track:

His offensive philosophy is built upon a foundation of core principles. A Fedora offense will primarily utilize 11 personnel - consisting of one running back, one tight end and three wide receivers – due to his belief that an A-back type player can be more productive than a traditional fullback. It will rely on verbal cues and hand motions from the quarterback to eliminate the need for a huddle, thereby robbing the defense of its ability to regroup. It will also be multi-tempo, pushing the pace to tire out the defense at certain times, while in others, hurrying to the line and forcing the defense to set its position, only then to back off and check the sideline for an alternative play, if necessary. The intent is to keep the defense uncomfortable and force the defensive coordinator to stay basic to prevent breakdowns, which then allows Fedora’s offense to operate against a simpler look. And the final tenet is an effort to spread the field laterally to create vertical seams.

Fedora Adapts His Scheme:

Fedora often watched, scratching his head at the singular style of play that made little to no amends for adapting and capitalizing on the opponent’s weakness. The 30-something-year-old decided then the tenets of his coaching career, provided one ever transpired, would be more opportunistic in its approach.

“If I ever get a chance, I’m not going to just bang my head against the wall. If a team says we’re going to stop the run, then I’m going to throw it. And if a team says we’re going to stop the pass, then I’m going to run it.”

“I’ve never been just stubborn in that there’s only one way to do it,” Fedora said during an interview with Inside Carolina. “I do believe that you need to be balanced, and I don’t care how it happens. Balance to me doesn’t mean you’re running it 40 [times], you’re throwing it 40. That’s not what it means to me. It means that one week it may be throw for 100, rush for 300 and the next week it may be rush for 100 and throw for 300. That’s balance to me. It’s always been about taking advantage of what the defense gives you.”

Constantly adapting:

“We’ll have a totally different quarterback,” Fedora said. “We will definitely do different things. We will not run the exact same offense that we ran last year. It will be a different system. There may be plays that we ran three years ago that we haven’t run since that will be back into our offense, so it’s all about the talent that we have now and how that talent fits.

Wrapping it Up:
- Fedora gives you years of experience as a playcaller
- His style of offense is a fit for the athlete Miami recruits
- Fedora is an analytics guy that thrives on innovation
- He will tailor his offense to his personnel
- He will adapt to that personnel as well as what a defense throws at him

If you have a chance to hire a passionate former ex coach that posted a winning record, and also has a long body of work as a highly-successful coordinator (unlike Enos), you should consider him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fedookie's offenses at UNC ranking over the last 5 yr. Let this sink in with the exception of 1 year, Miami's offense under Coach Richt and under Al Golden where better than Fedookie's by a wide margin.

Data taken from NCAA site
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

2018 77th scoring offense (UM was 67th)
2017 83rd scoring offense ( UM was 60th)
2016 44th scoring offense ( UM was 37th)
2015 9th scoring offense (UM was 77th)
2014 36th scoring offense ( UM was 59th)

Advertisement
Fedookie's offenses at UNC ranking over the last 5 yr. Let this sink in with the exception of 1 year, Miami's offense under Coach Richt and under Al Golden where better than Fedookie's by a wide margin.

He was the head coach, not the OC. All we want him to do is be the OC, which he is good at. We already have a head coach, if you haven’t heard.

He was the head coach, not the OC. All we want him to do is be the OC, which he is good at. We already have a head coach, if you haven’t heard.

As head coach he had on offense that was worse thasn Miami's 30 yr old former offense.

There are much better options at OC out there that will stay at Miami longer than Fedookie who is looking for as quick rebound to a HC gig.

Go Canes

Between Larry and Manny, should have no issues winning over mothers during recruiting.
6FCCCC21-82AD-4D67-B0FF-DD44B3CDC3A4.jpeg

Advertisement
With rumors emerging that Diaz is sizing him up as his OC, I began looking deeper into Fedora’s career. I must say, after thinking it was going to be some guy who’s never called plays before named Ponce, only to hear Fedora’s name called, I was relieved.

Now, as far as a fit for Miami and Manny goes, after doing some research, I don’t believe an OC hire gets better than this.

But before getting to that, just to first get this out of the way again, here’s his body of work as an offensive coordinator:

His only truly poor seasons came both times in his first year at a school, and once in his first year ever as a coordinator.

Adaptability of Manny Diaz
As we know, Diaz is a very analytics-driven guy. He’s a far cry from the Richt school of thought where if you lost a game you simply didn’t “whip the man in front of you” or “give 110%.” The whole packing a lunch box to the game, jug-headed Neanderthal approach to the game is dying.

Manny is the modern sports intellectual and studies trends, self-evaluates, and adapts. Again, this was seen in practice the clearest when it came to 3rd down defense. After a 2017 season of getting his tlts torn off (ranked 75th in the country) on 3rd downs, he sat down, said “my shlt isn’t working” and invented the striker position. He admitted he was wrong, went back to the drawing board, and as you now, we had the best 3rd down defense in the country.

Manny leaned out his 3rd down defense and got faster. What are the intangibles people like about him? Innovative and adaptable. That’s the name of the game. Innovative and adaptable.

Enter Larry Fedora
With Manny, at least one thing you’ll get at head coach at Miami is a bright football mind. The last 4 hires were not X and O guys and weren’t going to give you a schematic advantage on either side is the ball. Manny is an analytics nerd and studies both the trend and performance of his team, along with those of college football.

In this regard, experts project that Fedora and Diaz’s vibing quotient “would be off the charts.” Here we observe Fedora, like Manny, has always been a huge fan of studying not only his team’s every down performance, but the trends in college football. He’s also honed in on proactively adapting his system against defenses shifting toward stopping his offense’s tendencies:

Fedora was on the ground floor of the advanced metrics game in college football, always staying ahead of the curve and constantly undergoing self-evaluation and looking for feedback to improve:

A Schematic Fit Equal to Manny
During the Dark Ages is Dorito, when famine and disease was widespread, children suffered in the streets, and the sun was not seen for years, we all pleaded to the Gods to send us “an aggressive, attacking defense that utilizes Miami’s speed.” We just wanted our 4-3 defense because we knew it magnified our local talent and turned our defense into a championship caliber of dogs.

Offensively, our recruiting area is just as ripe with that same speed and devastating explosiveness in our athletes. In the 80s, Miami found itself routinely at the forefront of offensive concepts. However, in the last 2 decades, the school you’d most expect to utilize true modern uptempo spread tactics has stayed away. No, instead we have several fans still clamoring for an offense comprised solely of fullbacks and tight ends. “Pro style offense, bro!” Even as the NFL shifts more and more toward college spread concepts.

However, with Fedora, we would finally have an offensive coordinator who wants to put his foot on the gas pedal, and not let up until he’s got 80 on the board. This season we were all disgusted with our lack of pace and our inability to stretch the field horizontally. Defenses never got tired, never had to take a false step or defend the whole field, and we’re able to basically sit Indian style in a circle with their DC getting their play call as Nkosi Perry clapped like a trained circus seal until the playclock read :01.

With Fedora, that South Florida speed would finally be let out of its cage and onto the track:

And as for adaptability, Manny and Fedora are also a great fit. As discussed above, Manny is not a guy who will just run his system every year without understanding his personnel. He won’t just blame the players and call them cancers like a certain recently fired bug-eyed weirdo who puts a tinfoil tent over his genitals whenever he drives by a Red Lobster. Fedora focuses in on both his personnel and his chess match with the defense:

Constantly adapting:

Wrapping it Up:
- His style of offense - like Manny’s defense- is a perfect fit for the athlete Miami recruits

If you have a chance to hire a passionate former ex coach that posted a winning record, and also has a long body of work as a highly-successful coordinator, you scoop him up immediately. This is the type of hire Saban makes and we all roll our eyes in envy.

Do it, Manny. DO IT.

As head coach he had on offense that was worse thasn Miami's 30 yr old former offense.

There are much better options at OC out there that will stay at Miami longer than Fedookie who is looking for as quick rebound to a HC gig.

Go Canes

Again, we don’t need him to be the head coach. We need him to be the OC, which he is good at.

As we know, Diaz is a very analytics-driven guy. He’s a far cry from the Richt school of thought where if you lost a game you simply didn’t “whip the man in front of you” or “give 110%.” The whole packing a lunch box to the game, jug-headed Neanderthal approach to the game is dying.

Manny is the modern sports intellectual and studies trends, self-evaluates, and adapts. Again, this was seen in practice the clearest when it came to 3rd down defense. After a 2017 season of getting his tlts torn off (ranked 75th in the country) on 3rd downs, he sat down, said “my shlt isn’t working” and invented the striker position. He admitted he was wrong, went back to the drawing board, and as you now, we had the best 3rd down defense in the country.

Manny leaned out his 3rd down defense and got faster. What are the intangibles people like about him? Innovative and adaptable. That’s the name of the game. Innovative and adaptable.

Enter Larry Fedora
With Manny, at least one thing you’ll get at head coach at Miami is a bright football mind. The last 4 hires were not X and O guys and weren’t going to give you a schematic advantage on either side is the ball. Manny is an analytics nerd and studies both the trend and performance of his team, along with those of college football.

In this regard, experts project that Fedora and Diaz’s vibing quotient “would be off the charts.” Here we observe Fedora, like Manny, has always been a huge fan of studying not only his team’s every down performance, but the trends in college football. He’s also honed in on proactively adapting his system against defenses shifting toward stopping his offense’s tendencies:

During the Dark Ages is Dorito, when famine and disease was widespread, children suffered in the streets, and the sun was not seen for years, we all pleaded to the Gods to send us “an aggressive, attacking defense that utilizes Miami’s speed.” We just wanted our 4-3 defense because we knew it magnified our local talent and turned our defense into a championship caliber of dogs.

However, with Fedora, we would finally have an offensive coordinator who wants to put his foot on the gas pedal, and not let up until he’s got 80 on the board. This season we were all disgusted with our lack of pace and our inability to stretch the field horizontally. Defenses never got tired, never had to take a false step or defend the whole field, and we’re able to basically sit Indian style in a circle with their DC getting their play call as Nkosi Perry clapped like a trained circus seal until the playclock read :01.

And as for adaptability, Manny and Fedora are also a great fit. As discussed above, Manny is not a guy who will just run his system every year without understanding his personnel. He won’t just blame the players and call them cancers like a certain recently fired bug-eyed weirdo who puts a tinfoil tent over his genitals whenever he drives by a Red Lobster. Fedora focuses in on both his personnel and his chess match with the defense:

Constantly adapting:

Wrapping it Up:
- His style of offense - like Manny’s defense- is a perfect fit for the athlete Miami recruits

If you have a chance to hire a passionate former ex coach that posted a winning record, and also has a long body of work as a highly-successful coordinator, you scoop him up immediately. This is the type of hire Saban makes and we all roll our eyes in envy.

Do it, Manny. DO IT.
Dear WhatTheHell;
Excellent piece. You have provided an in-depth analysis of Fedora. I would recommend you any day over the Herald hacks. Well done and Thank you!!

1. He’s coming to coordinate the offense, something he’s been unquestionably good at.

2. Miami was built on guys looking to climb the ladder and move on. If he wants to springboard to a new head coaching gig, good. That means he’s hungry and ambitious. I don’t need lifers. Plus, I’ll take 2 years of a top 25 offense.

Advertisement

You mean except for 2 years, right. So, UM averaged 60th and UNC averaged 50th. Your post loses its effect when you get the numbers right.

Advertisement

Enter Larry Fedora

Constantly adapting:

Wrapping it Up:

Do it, Manny. DO IT.

Excellent work. DMoney is not paying you enough. Thanks!

Adaptability, man's greatest advantage over sub-species, was an unknown in the last two administrations.

Great write-up WTH.

Advertisement
Back