Larry Coker on Miami radio this morning talking Canes

Advertisement
Coker is the one who wanted to recruit outside of South Florida. He let the outsiders in and is has never been the same.

Oh yes, he started the slide into irrelevance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coker was a better coach than Shannon or Golden turned out to be but he still sucked. He wasn't strong enough to keep the program running correctly and the egos of the kids he recruited ended up overpowering the team.

I love a healthy amount of arrogance but it has to be balanced by a strong coach or it can sink you. Same thing happened with Erickson eventually.

Advertisement
It's easy to blame Clappy but those that deserve the most responsibility in our slide was the administration that felt complacent enough in just promoting an assistant while also refusing to pump enough resources into the program to stay on top. So yeah, Ol Almost 2 Time National Champion Clappy deserves blame but he was also in a position he should have never been in along with it being a position that was destined to fail due to administration negligence.

Coker is the one who wanted to recruit outside of South Florida. He let the outsiders in and is has never been the same.

Coker has his down falls (mainly talent development) but recruiting outside of Miami is not the problem, we have always recruited nationwide

I mean jim Kelly, Russell Maryland, Greg olsen, Vinny testaverde, etc were all from outside Miami. Miami consistent has had super star players from outside of Miami

Advertisement
The Shannon hire was the set back. Coker had to go for sure but we were still relevant when he was forced out. A good hire would have had us back immediately

Shannon killed the program then left no recruits for Al Golden who was just as bad as those people graduated last year that's why we should be better now. Crazy how Shannon affected us so many years later

Last edited:
Advertisement

Coker has his down falls (mainly talent development) but recruiting outside of Miami is not the problem, we have always recruited nationwide

I mean jim Kelly, Russell Maryland, Greg olsen, Vinny testaverde, etc were all from outside Miami. Miami consistent has had super star players from outside of Miami

I'm the biggest proponent of Florida being the mecca of high school football but that argument that Clappy went national and became a star *****/lazy recruiter is so far down on the list of real reasons we slid so fast and for so long. Actual freakin' player development by EVERY coach post Butch is the reason. It's the reason we kept having highly ranked classes and kept getting kids drafted yet sucked on Saturdays. The guys that instantly complain that it was a focus on too many out of state kids are usually the ones that will say ANY under the radar South Florida kid is immediately better than a legit recruit from California, Jersey, etc.

Advertisement
The watershed moment was actually when Butch left. There were a number of directions they could have gone, but they went with promoting Coker.

There is zero value in rehashing the subsequent 15 years and all the awful decisions the administration made. It's suffice to say hiring a proven head coach for proven head coach money, building an indoor practice facility, investing in things like the training table, etc. are all decisions they should have made back then.

So no, it wasn't Coker. He was just the wrong guy who accepted the right job. That's hardly the first time that's happened, but it was the fault of those who made the offer, not him.

Oh, and no, I didn't hear the interview because I cannot listen to Zaslow, even if it comes at the expense of supporting Romberg.

Queen ***** Donna Shalala was the ring leader everybody else were just ponds in the game!!!

Fish Pond Game Rental.jpg

Advertisement
Back