Larry Coker on Miami radio this morning talking Canes

Advertisement
Larry Coker as Miami HC = the result of what would happen if monkeys discovered a way to make fire. The whole fuggin' forest gets burned to the ground.

Larry The Cable Guy could have won the MNC with the set-up Butch left. It was idiot-proof.

It was an administration that thought they could put the football program on cruise control with bargain barrel coaches. You get what you pay for. They were still able to recruit at a peak level for years based on the success of the early 2000's teams and players getting drafted but player development went into the toilet. So few players ever got better. Some guys got worse the longer they were here. Even going all the way into the Shannon/Golden years, you still saw guys who were highly touted recruits just never take off once they got here. Plus you see the number of guys who have succeeded in the NFL despite being marginal players here. It's never been recruiting. It's been 100% poor coaching.

Advertisement
Remember when Coker put a beating on VT in 2005 on the road against a top 3 team? Yeah he's not Gorlden or Radio but he still ****ed up my Canes so he's part of the problem.

It was an administration that thought they could put the football program on cruise control with bargain barrel coaches. You get what you pay for. They were still able to recruit at a peak level for years based on the success of the early 2000's teams and players getting drafted but player development went into the toilet. So few players ever got better. Some guys got worse the longer they were here. Even going all the way into the Shannon/Golden years, you still saw guys who were highly touted recruits just never take off once they got here. Plus you see the number of guys who have succeeded in the NFL despite being marginal players here. It's never been recruiting. It's been 100% poor coaching.
On order of Shalala

Coker had a long career as a position coach and was good. He may have been the DBs coach at Ohio St. when they were putting a few huge-time DBs into the league - it was about that time....

I thought he did fine as the OC at Miami though he's not someone I'd consider a genius at the position by any means.

With that said, it would've been better to go off-site to find a HC after Butch shipped out.

But we did win a championship with him and should've had two straight....

Brett, I Love You: Zaslow, Romberg and Amber | AM 790 The Ticket

What do you think about Coker? Is he responsible for starting the slide into irrelevance or is he just a scapegoat for the problems that brought the program down?

Advertisement
Coker is the one who wanted to recruit outside of South Florida. He let the outsiders in and is has never been the same.

Oh yes, he started the slide into irrelevance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coker has his down falls (mainly talent development) but recruiting outside of Miami is not the problem, we have always recruited nationwide

I mean jim Kelly, Russell Maryland, Greg olsen, Vinny testaverde, etc were all from outside Miami. Miami consistent has had super star players from outside of Miami

I'm the biggest proponent of Florida being the mecca of high school football but that argument that Clappy went national and became a star *****/lazy recruiter is so far down on the list of real reasons we slid so fast and for so long. Actual freakin' player development by EVERY coach post Butch is the reason. It's the reason we kept having highly ranked classes and kept getting kids drafted yet sucked on Saturdays. The guys that instantly complain that it was a focus on too many out of state kids are usually the ones that will say ANY under the radar South Florida kid is immediately better than a legit recruit from California, Jersey, etc.

Yep, its funny because without looking too closely I would guess at least 20 of the 50 best canes of the last 35 years are from outside the state of florida. Extend that to outside of south florida specifically and the list is staggering.

Kelly
Maryland
Olsen
Testaverde
Kosar
Stubbs
DJ williams
Searcy
Dan Morgan (out of state until soph, outside south florida but instate after)
Mckinnie
Reed
Torretta
Walsh
Jerome Brown
JiM Burt
Portis
Winslow
Shockey
Dorsey
Kennedy
reggie wayne
Sapp
ray lewis

probably forgetting several greats too. wonder what our history books look like without those gentleman.

Chuck Foreman, Jay Brophy, Dennis Harrah, Damione Lewis, Eric Winston, Patrick Riley, Krein, Armstead, Feagles Sr., Otto, Bubba Franks (only a few more out-of-state players)

Coker was a better coach than Shannon or Golden turned out to be but he still sucked. He wasn't strong enough to keep the program running correctly and the egos of the kids he recruited ended up overpowering the team.

I love a healthy amount of arrogance but it has to be balanced by a strong coach or it can sink you. Same thing happened with Erickson eventually.

Nail hit on head. Our HC has to be the Big Dog. Howard smoked a pipe but he was a take no crap coach. Dude recruited and coached Joe Willie under The Bear, OC for Shula on greatest NFL team ever. JJ was large and in charge. Denis was whip. Butch a sob who everyone was afraid of. Coker, a grandpa, Larry, well ad Onion. Golden was blowhard. If Mark doesn't get some bite in his bark quickly, he will lose the alphas on the team.

Advertisement
Ray Lewis,Portis, BRown Maryland and Sapp are from FL

I know it is hardly worth pointing out, since you are arguably the least astute poster to ever grace these forums, but the discussion initiated by the quote leading up to that list specified south florida, and that condition was included in the lists description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coker was a nice decent man but a terrible hire. Yes that was the beginning of the decline and the first of many hires of convenience. Coker was woefully over his head. I can't blame him for taking the keys to the Cadillac when offered but he ran it off the cliff. Blame Shalala and Dee who didn't know what a good candidate looked like let alone have the stature to attract one. (I said all of these things when he was hired)

Advertisement
Shalala is 100% to blame for our downfall. She never wanted to invest money in facilities, coaches or their staff. She passed up buying the orange bowl for $16m and she was dirt cheap when hiring our head coaches.

I blame Coker for Pata's death.

He let the inmates run the asylum like the befuddled old man that he was.

It's easy to blame Clappy but those that deserve the most responsibility in our slide was the administration that felt complacent enough in just promoting an assistant while also refusing to pump enough resources into the program to stay on top. So yeah, Ol Almost 2 Time National Champion Clappy deserves blame but he was also in a position he should have never been in along with it being a position that was destined to fail due to administration negligence.

Another example of how poorly this so-called university has been run. We had a solid football program that was in the hunt for national titles nearly every year. It made great income for the school that was largely used in other areas. No one was interested in hiring a competent staff for the program, or keeping an eye on rules violations that might hurt the school and the team.. Miami football became a real Mickey Mouse affair....and still is. Hopefully this mess will finally get cleared up under the new leadership, but, as of now, the team still sucks and is worse than some chit midmajor in the middle of nowhere. Coker and his successors took a Mercedes and turned it into a Yugo with expired license plates. Now we can only recruit the most mediocre players in the state while FSU, UF, Louisville, and other take the prize recruits and hammer us everytime we play them.

Revolting and vomit inducing. No one knows just how angry I am with what these a-holes have done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back