Off-Topic Lane says what everyone knows… (NIL Bags)

Since this has turned into politics, and I don’t want to start with deleting and/or infractions, I have moved this thread to Off-Topic where you can call out the coo coo pinko Commies and right wing fascist nut jobs to your hearts’ delights.

Advertisement
Good post but I disagree on not being competitive NIL wise. Why wouldn't we be? Honest question. I would think that with the school now having made a solid commitment to spending the money and committing the resources necessary to compete at the highest level that NIL would be part of that commitment. It stands to reason as NIL as quickly becoming the biggest factor in a prospects decision to sign a LOI with a school. Where am I going wrong here?

I'm not sure you are going wrong anywhere in your post.

I hope those with the big wallets keep it going, but through our history we haven't had the deepest pockets. I don't expect to out spend the true elites, but stay near the top of our conference, hire quality coaches, and convince enough of our local talent base to stay home. Then hopefully it all falls together.

We're at a level we've never been at financially, so that's positive. Is it sustainable, enough, or what? Guess we'll see.

Are you against salary caps or other competitive measures in sports to maintain a healthy product for fans so money still comes in? Players can get paid but let’s get some structure here

Agreed.

And sorry, the Tito's had me on one last night.

NFL owners recognized decades ago the league is healthier with parity. Any team making more good coaching and personnel decisions than bad ones can be a playoff team, even win a Super Bowl. There are a few horribly run franchises, like Detroit and Jacksonville, but these are outliers. Even Cleveland and Cincinnati are on the right path. Kansas City was awful for decades. Won a SB two years ago. Arizona is getting close.

CFB issues with the ‘arms race‘, coaching salaries, and the new NIL might sort themselves out once the collective P5 and G5 conferences eventually come to the same conclusion. There are differences in the two sports but television ratings will eventually decline when fans grown tired of the same teams in the CFP. At least fans of other teams.

And, the problem is not letting players earn more than an scholarship and a small stipend.

And, F-$EC.

Not a big deal. It’ll all come down in the coming years and will balance out. The kids who will make out well are the ones coming into college over the next couple years. But it won’t last. They’re unproven and raw and the number of busts will be astronomical. Eventually, after a few dozen Willie Williams level catastrophes, any players (and their families) who have even an ounce of common sense will weigh the benefits of tens of thousands now vs a quality program with good/great coaching that reaps tens of millions in three years. The market will correct.

Lives will be impacted, no doubt. Most quite negatively. But the sport will survive. Because the players only have four years. They’re not fully developed mentally, physically, emotionally. This idea they’ll command hundreds of thousands is pure nonsense.

Advertisement
Generally, almost all professional sports leagues have rules in place for competitive balance of some kind.

College football has nothing, and there is almost no oversight left, since the NCAA, under Emmert, has let the inmates (the
money and power hungry conferences) run the asylum.

Kids deserve a stipend of some sort, but, once they get one, you aren't an amateur league anymore, you are a professional one, and you probably want to make sure everyone is playing by a standard set of rules.

College football is really at the wild west stage, which sounds fun, until you realize that competitive balance gets all out of whack.
College football’s competitive balance under Emmert was obliterated. If his goal was to ensure Alabama became college football, he succeeded. If his goal was to winnow all interest in college football down to three or four teams - the same teams who qualified for the playoffs every year, he succeeded.

Advertisement
Back