Off-Topic Lane says what everyone knows… (NIL Bags)

Why shouldn’t we be somewhat competitive with NIL? We got a guy that says he’s going to foot the bill for $1 billion stadium.

I mean, I’m just thinking out loud, but I think we can be a little more competitive, if these people put their money where their mouth is.

I'm a believe it when I see it.

The guy talking big about stadiums isn't even there with his money yet. Hope it works out for his family rather than the ultimate case of counting their chickens before they're hatched.

I'm also specifically talking about the true elites. Who knows, maybe those with far more money than I show me differently.

Advertisement
I'm a believe it when I see it.

The guy talking big about stadiums isn't even there with his money yet. Hope it works out for his family rather than the ultimate case of counting their chickens before they're hatched.

I'm also specifically talking about the true elites. Who knows, maybe those with far more money than I show me differently.

If I’m not mistaken, they made a 10 million contribution to UM the other day.

Now, that’s not the billion dollars that the stadium is going to cost, I don’t even know if that thing will ever get off the ground other than just talking about it, but either way, this looks like somebody that could participate. Then of course there are the Mas brothers, too.

Watching this movie swagger and the one thing stood out is if the FBI comes snooping then they can examine Alabama etc.. accordingly and there's nothing the NCAA can do about it????

Makes sense why he was so interested in Miami and basically every other job opening. Can’t imagine ole miss has a deep pocket booster squad to support what NIL is turning into thanks to Texas. At some point they’re going to have to put a cap on these things. I can’t imagine a Texas offensive lineman is worth $150k a year in marketing.

Did lane ever sign an extension at ole miss?
How can they, though? If Texas wants to sign an offensive lineman to a $50M per year deal, then they can do it. The only way out of this would be unionization and collective bargaining with college athletes.

Advertisement
He isn't lying.

It's becoming more like the NFL every day. I don't watch it and pay about 10 to 20 percent as much attention as I used to. ****, I haven't even looked to see what the bowl game matchups are.

I've also noticed I tend to like the players that come here and stick around more than the one or two year rentals.

We won't be competitive NIL wise, so we better have an amazing staff when it's complete. The only way to change minds on the elite recruits will be by doing special things on the field.

He's not - and it's only getting worse.

There's no reason all linemen at Texas get a deal like that. Half the state can't even name those backup players and some will NEVER see the field, yet they are making a bunch of cash for what again?? And more than a large percentage of hard working adults make.

Advertisement
The NCAA could have done this the right way and in phases. The true meaning of the original lawsuit for NIL was jersey sales with their number, their likeness in a video game, and things like autograph events and speaking arrangements.

That kids should be able to make money on - their likeness in the sport they play for their university.

Things that are coming out now are so far past the original intent that it's comical.

He's not - and it's only getting worse.

There's no reason all linemen at Texas get a deal like that. Half the state can't even name those backup players and some will NEVER see the field, yet they are making a bunch of cash for what again?? And more than a large percentage of hard working adults make.

Exactly this is blatant let’s just pay kids.

Makes sense why he was so interested in Miami and basically every other job opening. Can’t imagine ole miss has a deep pocket booster squad to support what NIL is turning into thanks to Texas. At some point they’re going to have to put a cap on these things. I can’t imagine a Texas offensive lineman is worth $150k a year in marketing.

Did lane ever sign an extension at ole miss?
Yes but its a paper tiger...buyout money stays exactly the same...

Advertisement
Uhhhhhh, cough, cough…hence y I said this NIL was bad for us w/ this version of us taking the field. Yet, some of ya’ll were so eager to think this would level the playing field. Maybe moving fwd as we get back to being a respectable program, but this NIL w/ no NCAA set parameters have emboldened bag schools x 10. They can openly give up the loot behind the guise of NIL.

It may turn out that many colleges and universities may not have the ability to play with the big boys, or they may just refuse to play the game. The only rational option for those schools is to go rogue, withdraw from the NCAA, create a new athletic authority, and continue without the burden of NIL.

Sure this would turn the college football world upside down but in the long run it would allow many schools to continue competing in athletics without the fear of going broke for lack of ability to finance the teams.

In essence we would then have TWO different collegiate associations. One would essentially be professional teams while the other would continue to be amateur teams playing in a new league.

In the final analysis it may prove to be the prudent way to go. And, it already exists. The Ivy League is in the NCAA and I doubt they would ever totally embrace the concept of outright paying amateur athletes. At any rate it will be interesting to see what will happen. It will also be interesting to see how many schools continue to host teams in the next few years.

It may turn out that many colleges and universities may not have the ability to play with the big boys, or they may just refuse to play the game. The only rational option for those schools is to go rogue, withdraw from the NCAA, create a new athletic authority, and continue without the burden of NIL.

Sure this would turn the college football world upside down but in the long run it would allow many schools to continue competing in athletics without the fear of going broke for lack of ability to finance the teams.

In essence we would then have TWO different collegiate associations. One would essentially be professional teams while the other would continue to be amateur teams playing in a new league.

In the final analysis it may prove to be the prudent way to go. And, it already exists. The Ivy League is in the NCAA and I doubt they would ever totally embrace the concept of outright paying amateur athletes. At any rate it will be interesting to see what will happen. It will also be interesting to see how many schools continue to host teams in the next few years.
Your grasp of this is a bit off. Nothing the schools can do about it. Ivy players can exploit NIL

Advertisement
Your grasp of this is a bit off. Nothing the schools can do about it. Ivy players can exploit NIL
True, but how many athletes in the Ivy are ever going to get NIL offers? Well, maybe the teams from Harvard and Yale, with uber rich benefactors. Columbia, Brown, Penn? NADA!

True, but how many athletes in the Ivy are ever going to get NIL offers? Well, maybe the teams from Harvard and Yale, with uber rich benefactors. Columbia, Brown, Penn? NADA!
Agreed. NIL means that the individual can profit off his name instead of the school or EA Sports or other entities. But it's similar to standard endorsement deals. Who usually get these? Not some role player on the Brooklyn Nets or the Los Angeles Chargers. Businesses usually pursue stars for endorsements since they perceive attaching a known name and face to their product will increase sales or awareness. From the perspective of common sense, whole team NIL's fly in the face of typical marketing.

Advertisement
Back