Lane Kiffin is realistic (info).

When he announced he was moving on to FAU Bama moved on too. He didn't coach the playoffs. Pretty sure if he hadn't quit he would have stayed on.

Again, there was a feud between him and Saban ongoing even before that. And somebody leaving before national championship game, an offensive coordinator no less, that’s not something small, that’s a big deal, it’s not just “somebody just moving on“

Advertisement
Just one thought. Because you had a lot of points in your post, I just want to pull one out, why can’t he ever seem to get a good DC? How many years has he been a head coach?

2009 #38
2010 #45
2011 #41
2012 #41
2013 #16 (yes, he was fired but that was his staff)
2017 #34
2019 #40

So 7 out of the 10 years in his cfb coaching career, his defense was in the top 1/3 of cfb. Would I like to see better numbers? Yes, it would be nice if he had a 2 or 3 top 25 defenses sprinkled in. And when the D has been bad, it has been really bad (which seemed to concern him as he fired his DC after one bad season in 2018). All that said, his defenses generally havent been as bad as many people think.

Advertisement
I object to is this sort of attitude that’s running through this thread that if we get Lane it’s a slam dunk, we will be scoring 100 points a game, and contending for the playoffs in no time. There’s some definite negative issues regarding him. Do you know what one of them is? He can turn this into a shlt show in a sure fire hurry. Guys like him can crash and burn.

Do I object to him? Not in the sense that he is definitely better than anything we’ve had for years and years. But he’s high risk, with some reward, we just don’t know how high the ceiling is with him.

Also, why can’t he ever seem to find a good defensive coordinator.

Oh I totally agree. As I wrote, I am not some Lane or even Mario fanboy. I just know they are both 10x better than anyone we've had here this century. I do think Lane's brash style would play well here though. As you can see already, this board (this the fanbase) would eat it up. And his crazy offense would sell tickets. Give him nearly endless resources, and a few billionaires who want to win, and I think he could build a **** of a staff. I think he's more high reward, with some risk to be honest. He's smart. He's matured a bit. Still brash, but less nonsense from what I've read. My biggest question is recruiting. I also think he has a big ego, his failure in Oakland and how everything went to **** at USC really stuck with him. He wants to win. He's concerned about legacy. He's only like 45 still too.

Anyone that knows him would tell you he’d be out of that **** hole before the sun set to come here. That’s why I posted with confidence other day “ he’d come if we wanted him”.
I’m not doubting that he’d come here. He’s a Rock Star at Ole Miss, I’m just saying It’s a great way to get a pay raise.

Appreciate the thought out response. Since it really doesn’t matter who we want, I am still curious of your top 3 or 4 for the job?

Again, no "list", not a "top 3 or 4", just some guys that I think would do well at UM.

If you do a sort...and filter out guys who I think would have character disqualifiers (Kiffin, Freeze, Leach, Orgeron, etc.)...and if you are looking for a guy who has been a successful head coach at a very high level (even with some failure on the resume)...here are some guys that I like and that could work...

--Mario - obviously, there are a lot of UM connections too, but he has addressed his FIU failures in a very positive way (Alabama rehab, Oregon success).

--Tom Herman - I have talked with people who think his failure at Texas had more to do with dysfunctional Texas "political" issues and booster-butt-kissing (or lack thereof), and I think it would be a much more forgiving booster/alum base at UM, particularly if he had a UM sherpa or two in his corner, such as Alonzo.

--Mark Stoops - might have red flags (partying), but not a complete disqualifier. Haven't heard a lot of heat on him, not sure if that means he would be uninterested or he's just less-hot now that Kentucky has lost a few, but I think it could work if he wants to move beyond what he can do at Kentucky.

--Mel Tucker - I will be the first to admit I was wrong about him when he took the MSU job, but with the extension, I don't think he is leaving. What stands out to me is how quickly he adapted to the Portal and how he blended those new guys in, because MSU was TERRIBLE and going through scandal when he took over.

--Jeff Brohm - I will always be impressed if someone can turn Purdue into a winner, and he is a former QB, but it seems more logical and likely that he'd end up at Louisville rather than Miami.

--I honestly believe that guys like Aranda, Fickell, and Franklin would not even be interested in UM (or would just use UM for leverage with more preferred spots).

--I also respect Chadwell and Napier and what they have accomplished, but I don't see us hiring a non-P5 head coach.

Advertisement
I low key like Tom Herman as well. Was 4-0 in bowl games, beat Georgia in the sugar bowl with texas, and Texas has gotten worse since he left. He was basically yearly 8-4 and winning a bowl game with texas, which is better then anything we’ve had recently. Not a bad fall back if Mario or Lane don’t work out.

This is from a post @DMoney had. Let’s take the focus off the national picture for a moment.

Are the recruiting rankings better for Mario than Miami?

View attachment 161766

Now bring it back to a national level - IMO, Mario can be top 6 many of the years. If you want to argue that, fine. I can change the statement to 6-10 in the rankings most of the years here at Miami.

No, no, I'm not arguing. I think Mario is a great recruiter. Not just because of those rankings, but because of how involved HE is.

There are some coaches who benefit from high rankings, and they might just hire ace recruiters to do the job for them. But Mario is, himself, deeply involved with the process. You have to give that great respect, regardless of the precise numerical outcome.

Just look at a map. East coast cities are much closer together than west coast cities. You have to do a LOT to recruit nationally/sign top classes/convince kids to go to Eugene. About the only slam-dunk recruiting destination on the west coast is Los Angeles.

So I certainly respect and appreciate what Mario has done in recruiting, I'm just not focused solely on the numerical ranking.

Again, no "list", not a "top 3 or 4", just some guys that I think would do well at UM.

If you do a sort...and filter out guys who I think would have character disqualifiers (Kiffin, Freeze, Leach, Orgeron, etc.)...and if you are looking for a guy who has been a successful head coach at a very high level (even with some failure on the resume)...here are some guys that I like and that could work...

--Mario - obviously, there are a lot of UM connections too, but he has addressed his FIU failures in a very positive way (Alabama rehab, Oregon success).

--Tom Herman - I have talked with people who think his failure at Texas had more to do with dysfunctional Texas "political" issues and booster-butt-kissing (or lack thereof), and I think it would be a much more forgiving booster/alum base at UM, particularly if he had a UM sherpa or two in his corner, such as Alonzo.

--Mark Stoops - might have red flags (partying), but not a complete disqualifier. Haven't heard a lot of heat on him, not sure if that means he would be uninterested or he's just less-hot now that Kentucky has lost a few, but I think it could work if he wants to move beyond what he can do at Kentucky.

--Mel Tucker - I will be the first to admit I was wrong about him when he took the MSU job, but with the extension, I don't think he is leaving. What stands out to me is how quickly he adapted to the Portal and how he blended those new guys in, because MSU was TERRIBLE and going through scandal when he took over.

--Jeff Brohm - I will always be impressed if someone can turn Purdue into a winner, and he is a former QB, but it seems more logical and likely that he'd end up at Louisville rather than Miami.

--I honestly believe that guys like Aranda, Fickell, and Franklin would not even be interested in UM (or would just use UM for leverage with more preferred spots).

--I also respect Chadwell and Napier and what they have accomplished, but I don't see us hiring a non-P5 head coach.
Your Herman take is the most intriguing because I do feel like the Texas Boosters and political environment is rotten to the core and I remember Houston beating up on a solid Florida team in a major bowl. He is definitely intriguing. I wonder if there's any interest with the BOT's.

Also, I think Mark Stoops would rock it here.

Advertisement
Oh I totally agree. As I wrote, I am not some Lane or even Mario fanboy. I just know they are both 10x better than anyone we've had here this century. I do think Lane's brash style would play well here though. As you can see already, this board (this the fanbase) would eat it up. And his crazy offense would sell tickets. Give him nearly endless resources, and a few billionaires who want to win, and I think he could build a **** of a staff. I think he's more high reward, with some risk to be honest. He's smart. He's matured a bit. Still brash, but less nonsense from what I've read. My biggest question is recruiting. I also think he has a big ego, his failure in Oakland and how everything went to **** at USC really stuck with him. He wants to win. He's concerned about legacy. He's only like 45 still too.

Can you imagine what Dallas Cowboys fans were thinking when they went from Tom Landry to Jimmy Johnson? Went from a guy who was professionalism personified to a brash, colorful outspoken coach who had led the baddest of the bad Miami Hurricanes. In almost 3 decades of coaching in Dallas, he won two Super Bowls. And then JJ had that many in 5 years.

Ron from Oakland isn't fooling anyone. He's secretly hoping that Lane does get the Miami job

Just putting that out there like that means hes got some interest if I catch your drift, and you’re right.

I mean bet a steak dinner, your favorite Kentucky bourbon, a single malt from Scotland, but *** ****? Alrighty then.

Advertisement
Anyone that knows him would tell you he’d be out of that **** hole before the sun set to come here. That’s why I posted with confidence other day “ he’d come if we wanted him”.
Who do you prefer between him and Cristobal? I can't decide. Feel like Cristobal would def be safer as far as being at Miami long term but there's something exciting about the thought of Kiffin...

If Mario says no, Lane should get a call. To me Mario is the long term solution to this program’s problems. He’s a lifer. The second Lane wins the ACC he’ll be off to the NFL.
If he leaves they should structure his buyout nicely in our favor so we can flip his *** if he bounces. I'll take the ACC crown and Playoff birth.

Advertisement
Back