Lane Kiffin is realistic (info).

You guys are all getting hardons for Lane, which I get. But what I see here is pressure on Mario.

No, you can't take the job in 3 years, Mario. Want it? Take it now.

Would bet a large sum that this leak came from UM.
This is....getting quite interested....ever seen the movie "Basic"? Who shot the sarge???!!!

Advertisement
It's all good, I'm just trying to be honest. If too many people get too hyped about a guy that the BOT won't even offer, it's going to be "dark days" around here. Lane is a decent candidate, but it will be an uphill battle to convince the entire Board to hire him. It could happen, but let's not oversimplify this into just "if the job opens up".

Lane may want to come, but nobody has offered him yet. We shall see.
Or, the board hires the AD....and then let said AD do his job and hire who he wants? If that's Mario, fine, if that's Lane, fine....I know the boosters/board have a substantial say in hiring and firing but we've gotten it wrong so many times in a row that maybe it's time to give the qualified AD a shot at doing his job. Keyword there is "qualified" as Blake wasn't that and neither was Manny.

There wouldn't be this much buzz around Lane if it was Mario's job to turn down. I think there's a real change going on and Lane is #1 now.

Advertisement
Jeez, The Athletic article that's referenced in that article is brutal.

A couple of coaches think Mullen was a better recruiter than Lane. Good lord.

BTW this article paints a very different picture of Lanes recruiting abilities

"Kiffin has always been among the nation’s best recruiters, going all the way back to when he was an assistant under Pete Carroll at USC and landing some of the best high school talent in the nation the became national champions with the Trojans.

In his first job at Tennessee, in his first recruiting class, there were 3 top-100 players who waited until after National Signing Day to sign. Kiffin got all 3 to Knoxville.

He was the key recruiter at Alabama, fortifying an offense full of fast, athletic skill players. His first year at Ole Mis, he had the 34th-ranked recruiting class.

In Year 2, it improved to No. 17."

Why is this upcoming class looking so bad? Hard to say. Maybe he's been eyeballing UM for so long he's just been greasing the tracks to get those kids to commit to UM after Diaz bails :D

Advertisement
say no more. we ****ed this up once before-never again..lets give him his forever home
OK, if Kiffin came it would not be forever, he might be on that 5 year to NFL path, I'm OK with that, it is a proven formula for us in the distant past. No one can believe Kiffin is a forever coach anywhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back