Lane Kiffin is realistic (info).

And for the 197th time, this is why there is a thing coaches sign called a "contract." If UM is really that concerned he is going to leave, then they can include a clause that says another team has to pay 30 million for him. Is this unprecedented? Clemson specifically included a "Bama clause" in Dabos contract which says Bama has to pay double the buyout if he leaves for them. The "he's a mercenary" stuff is pure nonsense yet it keeps getting thrown out. Let's go over this yet again - he has only voluntarily left 2 jobs in his career. He went from Tennessee to USC, which EVERY SINGLE COACH IN THE COUNTRY WOULD DO and then left FAU after 3 years for a good SEC HC job WHICH EVERY SINGLE COACH IN THE COUNTRY WOULD DO. One last time- although this is a tired, false narrative, it's a concern that is easily addressed with a couple lines in a contract. And if he balks at making that commitment? Well now you know his plans and UM can move to the next HC on the list.
Not concerned about the ‘mercenary’ talk. So? If he did bolt after a few seasons I believe it would be for an NFL job. This would mean we’re likely winning, maybe not a NC, but enough so he’s impressing NFL owners.

I am more concerned with comments on this board about shady practices Lane has gotten away with but wouldn’t at Miami. I can live with having to replace Kiffin after a few successful seasons but not at the expense of sanctions.

FWIW.

Advertisement
The U will not go after Kiffin. They are not going to invest that much money on a guy with such a checkered past in his behavior. His only chance -IF he gets an interview is to convince them of his dedication and that he has grown up. IMO that is a long shot.

Howard, jimmy, Dennis and butch all say hi…. Remember their glorious decades long run each…. Oh what’s that you say?

As I said before, even if he was great and only lasted here 3-4 years, replicating good hires like we did back then is highly unlikely.

Advertisement
The question everyone needs to ask themselves about Lane is... Can he weather the storm before our fanbase turns on him? Because this aint something that a few trips to the portal and a visit from Tony Robinson can fix. Lane will split with two middle fingers up before any other coach in the country would and our fan base turns faster than Clark Kent.

Lane doesnt give one F about you or Miami. He sees it as a chance to be throned and nothing else. Which is fine... if it works out fast... He can use us if he brings us a ship, but it will take something greater than Lane has ever given before. He has to almost rebuild this program from the ground up, while a pack a hungry dogs are watching his every step and not only does Lane hate dogs he has his next gig already lined up.

To me Lane is taking that super hot chick from the bar home for a one nighter in front of that marriage material chick you have been working on for years. You might get her home to find out she was using you to get at her boyfriend or its her time of the month or you might get laid but it better have been good because chances are she is gone in the morning for good and you could have given up a lot more than you think.
People forget what it is we want. We don’t think this team should be in the playoffs. We just expect it to beat uva.

Advertisement
Honestly, bring me a coach who develops and gets you to play at or above your ceiling. Only two things I want to see again soon

1. Miami wins a ship
2. Everglades returned to the Tribes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back