Landon Ibieta Midseason SR HL

Advertisement
Great athlete. I like the catch at 1:23. He showed a lot of awareness as to where he was.
For people who understand the WR position, can you tell anything about his route running from these clips?

I can tell you on the first play, the middle linebacker read Landon's first step correctly, but he over pursued, something all too familiar here. He literally opened the middle of the field up. Landon made the correct read and took the shortest route to the end zone.

I agree with the poster above that he is an efficient and fluid runner. He's either a well coached track athlete or has been intentional about learning how to run correctly - appropriate arm swing, rhythm, and upright. Look at his arm movement on the first pass play - coming off the line, fluid, and also while accelerating, he pumps his arms harder to track the ball on the back end but is still fluid. See the 0.16 mark.

On the above play, incidentally, the other team was playing everyone within ten yards of the line of scrimmage on third and short but did not blitz - which to me is odd since they were not on the goal line. Anyway, the safety that comes over to cover Landon takes an angle that is way too flat - again very familiar to Canes - and pays for it. Great read and throw by the QB by the way.

Landon uses the sidelines effectively. He gives his QB and himself space to complete passes without running out of real estate. See the 1.05 and 1.17 mark. On the 1.05 play, knowing where he is on the field allowed him to adjust and still take it to the end zone.

He's clearly not afraid of contact, which is great for many obvious reasons. See the first clip of him accelerating into the middle of the opponent's defense. Dominates his man at the .45 Mark. Also, nice catch in traffic where he knows he's going to get hit. 2.05 mark.

Takes the shortest distance to pay dirt. I watched a little of the Howard University and Morgan State University game last night and on a 4th and 1 play in the 2nd quarter, HU's tailback caught a pass in the flat with a defender in front of him with outside leverage. He could have gotten low and taken two steps forward to move the chains, again, the defender was shaded outside, and instead the tailback danced, pursuit caught up to him, and he lost yards. At the 1.57 mark Landon is in almost the same position, albeit on a different part of the field, but look at how quickly he decides to take the shortest distance.

Advertisement
I've been afraid to look at the recruiting forum for several months during Manny's implosion. Been bracing myself for Ibieta to decommit. Anyone know how Mario feels about Ibieta? Did he recruit him at all while at Oregon?

Advertisement
CaneSport saying ibieta, carswell and Lucas have not heard from Mario yet. Said ibieta would most likely end up at Tulane if he decommits and carswell is 50/50 with us and ole miss

Advertisement
Dam I won’t fault Mario on recruiting since he just got here but Landon is a beast and I’m a fan. And carswell looks to have some nice tools. But I will never question Mario and Alex on linemen evals. Lucas? Pick up the dam phone Mario

The guy only had his press conference today, then attended a Columbus practice and had 3 in homes. And he's boarding a flight to go to TX tomorrow. C'mon now. I am 100% confident he'll call Ibieta in the next day or two.
He might, but in a class of 8 guys, all but Carswell & Ibieta got calls on Monday night. I'd say the writing is on the wall, but we'll see.

Advertisement
only need to look as far as Bama vs. Georgia to see Slade Bolden and Ladd McConkey and know that there is a place on the field even at top programs for a guy like Ibieta. but that he was the no 2 WR in this class is a great indication of how bad Manny was failing at recruiting this year, and if he ends up at another program i'm sure we'll be fine

Looking forward to this guy, he's gonna be our white Wes Welker....

1638929185794.gif

Wes Welker is a brotha?

Advertisement
Back