NBA Lakers and Clippers vote to boycott remainder of playoffs

Now Lebron can get past the first page of that Malcom X book he's been reading. Wonder when he'll get to the chapter where Malcom speaks to Athletes not being role models or ambassadors for the black community.

I do find it ironic that the players had their messages painted on the court and stitched into their jerseys to highlight social injustices and systemic racism but now they're not going to play so those messages wont be seen by the people that would've been watching. Seems counter productive unless they really never cared about raising awareness.

I felt like that was much more effective and appropriate then the whole kneeling thing for the anthem.

Advertisement
Sorry, could care less. They can dissolve the NBA and it wouldn't matter to me. Back when I used to watch (youngin' until about 2000) the NBA had players that played because they loved the game and were paid well (it seemed).
Today, we have money hungry fools that run the asylum. No respect for the game. The games are to be played and won or lost, they are not a political platform. If they want to be politicians, run for office, if you want to play in the NBA play ball and shut your mouth.
I am all for them speaking for what they believe in and trying to make change, but they are ruining the game itself and so is NFL to some extent, just not as bad yet.
There is a time and place for everything and a basketball court is for playing ball. That is it.
JMO.

Boycotting and cancelling the NBA playoffs will solve all of the country's problems, so I'm all four it.
They know it won't solve all of the problems but it will certainly bring the necessary attention to it. They're smart enough to know the risk they're assuming but feel strong enough about the situation not to care. I commend them for it.

Advertisement
The NBA is trash and has been for a long time. Adam Silver is a weak and ineffective commissioner when compared to David Stern. Might be time kick him out of office.

As for Lebron James, I used to think well of him but he is too much of a hypocrite to get behind. Spokesman on oppression yet has millions invested and even more returned on the labors of sweatshops that brand his apparel.

I have no problem with them fighting for cause. I think they are doing it the wrong way. They are causing serious damage to the future of their league. Its their future just like it was Kaepernicks. Could have the same ending. Somebody needs to remind them the NBA finals used to be shown on tape delay.

They know it won't solve ANY of the problems but it will certainly bring the necessary attention to it. They're smart enough to know the risk they're assuming but feel strong enough about the situation not to care. I commend them for it.
ftfy.

...and any goodwill or attention brought to this movement will be undone by the rioting, the looting, and the burning--regardless of the culprits. (which, I personally suspect from evidence present, are white young adults seizing the moment to inject chaos/anarchy into what would otherwise be a peaceful assembly.)

The constant running theme I see in social media and mainstream media is that all of these player decisions are based on emotion.

They do not have any logical points or list of demands or any clear ways to resolve the situation. They are all just acting like emotional fools who have no idea what they want.

That is not a wise way to go about things if you want change. In fact, it may blow up in your face if you do things solely based on emotion.

They better be prepared for the blow back and the long term ramifications of their actions.

Right or wrong they are alienating half of their potential audience who either don't think the way they do & the fans who are are nonpolitical who just want to see them play ball.

Advertisement
The constant running theme I see in social media and mainstream media is that all of these player decisions are based on emotion.

They do not have any logical points or list of demands or any clear ways to resolve the situation. They are all just acting like emotional fools who have no idea what they want.

That is not a wise way to go about things if you want change. In fact, it may blow up in your face if you do things solely based on emotion.

They better be prepared for the blow back and the long term ramifications of their actions.

Right or wrong they are alienating half of their potential audience who either don't think the way they do or are people who are nonpolitical who just want to see them play ball.
Although a completely different set of circumstances, the sentiment might be the same depending on how it is handled. If you are old enough--recall the baseball strike in 1994 and the long term effects it had on the sport. People were so disgusted by the whole matter that it took YEARS for the league to eventually build back to where they had left off from. So bad, a team basically collapsed financially and had to be sold off and the US Congress had to get involved. I'm not saying the the 2020 NBA is 1994 MLB-bad but this appears to be an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.

That, or the NBA is mad their night-to-night combined ratings can't beat out the Republican National Convention (multiple stations) or FoxNews.com's "Tucker Carlson Tonight" (combined). Time will tell on all of this.

The guy is potentially costing dozens of current NBA players, all of whom have been away from their family for months now, a life changing salary.

What he did here and the absurd stunt he's pulling now are two completely different things. He's making a cataclysmic mistake right now. He's become the spoiled Hollywood actor who's perceptions and actions are completely skewed because he's so far removed from reality.
So now this is his fault?
SMH, I swear I think they mix stupid in the water in this country now.

Although a completely different set of circumstances, the sentiment might be the same depending on how it is handled. If you are old enough--recall the baseball strike in 1994 and the long term effects it had on the sport. People were so disgusted by the whole matter that it took YEARS for the league to eventually build back to where they had left off from. So bad, a team basically collapsed financially and had to be sold off and the US Congress had to get involved. I'm not saying the the 2020 NBA is 1994 MLB-bad but this appears to be an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.

That, or the NBA is mad their night-to-night combined ratings can't beat out the Republican National Convention (multiple stations) or FoxNews.com's "Tucker Carlson Tonight" (combined). Time will tell on all of this.

Correct, it took years to get the audience back. I believe that is why MLB turned a blind eye to the obvious steroid usage so they could utilize the HR race to win fans back. Only to later act like they think steroids are bad and blackball the same guys that in a way, saved the league.

Advertisement
How LeCuck sees himself:
LeBron Luther King

how the majority of America sees him:
Spoiled entitled millionaire who made up a personal race hoax and tries desperately to be a victim and get involved in things other than what he is really good at which is playing basketball.

Sorry, could care less. They can dissolve the NBA and it wouldn't matter to me. Back when I used to watch (youngin' until about 2000) the NBA had players that played because they loved the game and were paid well (it seemed).
Today, we have money hungry fools that run the asylum. No respect for the game. The games are to be played and won or lost, they are not a political platform. If they want to be politicians, run for office, if you want to play in the NBA play ball and shut your mouth.
I am all for them speaking for what they believe in and trying to make change, but they are ruining the game itself and so is NFL to some extent, just not as bad yet.
There is a time and place for everything and a basketball court is for playing ball. That is it.
JMO.
Agree completely. Any of these players doing this I hope never get another pay check. The NBA could disband and not be missed.

Advertisement
Correct, it took years to get the audience back. I believe that is why MLB turned a blind eye to the obvious steroid usage so they could utilize the HR race to win fans back. Only to later act like they think steroids are bad and blackball the same guys that in a way, saved the league.
No kidding. It was obvious that certain guys were not only using steroids, but were physically inflated from doing so.

I'm not sure what is more effective for their cause...boycotting and sitting out the rest of the season or having a nightly platform where social justice issues are a main topic of their nationally televised programming. I'd lean the latter, but what do I know?

Also, where was this type of social activism for Hong Kong?

Tough thing for the NBA as a whole, these boycotts or not, is their ratings have been trending down overall for quite some time with a few exceptions.

Some of you really do sound like the Laura chick, who told Lebron to "just shut up and dribble." It absolutely kills me how some of you are big fans of these athletes but the minute they stand/speak on something you don't agree with all the name calling starts. We don't always have to agree with one another but it's important that we learn to respect and listen to each other. There's a reason a lot of people in this country and from around the world for that matter are in an uproar. I know for some of you it won't be easy to give up your privilege, but whether you like it or not the pendulum of equality is starting to swing in the opposite direction. Either get on board, or get left behind. ✊
Shouldn't you be somewhere protesting or something? I, for one, don't give a **** about any of these athletes (except ST26), my love is for the game. Players come and go. You think Lebron's love is for the game. HAHA, I hope you're not that naive. The pendulum of equality is what it should be, which is equal, so I hope that's what it becomes. Has it been that? **** no. But let me remind you of something you may not know, there used to be a baseball league called The ***** Baseball League and their mantra was "We play for the love of the game, no $$$". Do you think Lebron would ever do that?

Advertisement
Back