Lack of elite talent

Wasn’t terrible, he brought in some talent. Just missed on way too many guys(guys richt not missing on currently especially in the 2018 class)
Bro, you've seriously stepped up your posting game with the new format and I've commended you before for everything you bring to the board. You're a Twitter monitoring Gawwwwd... But you know you are going to get a Golden Slurper smackdown on here from these savages.

You are right that Alph brought some people in with talent. Some were born Canes like Duke Johnson and others he and guys like James Coley convinced to come here like Tracey Howard, Brad Kaaya and Stacey Coley.

That said... part of recruiting is building trust with local coaches. From what I have read, these guys saw through him and thought he was a used car salesman who didn't understand SoFlo culturally or athletically. From what I understand, and I'll defer to @Coach Macho and others more, they just didn't trust him or like him and they didn't like his coaching philosophies.

He also distanced alumni. His poor relationships in the community and his philosophical approaches to the game, especially on defense, killed us with recruits. Recruiting isn't just about reaching the kids, it's about reaching the people they trust and often that is parents and coaches and convincing them that their kid will be in a great place JMO. Like I said, if I understand it incorrectly, someone like @Coach Macho, @Liberty City El, @gogeta4, @Zbrod95 or some of the other guys here in the know like @Tee3000 can set me straight.

Keep doing the good things you do. If I am ever in the ATL, the steak is on me and you can order it however you like without too much ridicule. The caveat is that I would insist that you take at least one bite of a medium cooked steak which I would opt for over my usual medium rare just for you.

Advertisement
Weren't we tied for 3rd for most drafted players?

True but I don't think that's indicative of the talent that OP is talking about. I believe they are referring to top-end talent like Jameis Winston, Dalvin Cook, Sammy Watkins, Laremy Tunsil, Bradley Chubb, Aaron Donald, Luke Kuechly, Jalen Ramsey, etc. where there is no question that they are the best or at least one of the best in CFB and will be a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Advertisement
True but I don't think that's indicative of the talent that OP is talking about. I believe they are referring to top-end talent like Jameis Winston, Dalvin Cook, Sammy Watkins, Laremy Tunsil, Bradley Chubb, Aaron Donald, Luke Kuechly, Jalen Ramsey, etc. where there is no question that they are the best or at least one of the best in CFB and will be a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Exactly, there were 16 ACC and SEC players picked in the 1st round and 43 Day 1 and 2 picks. UM had one player in the 3rd round. Ohio State, Bama, Georgia, USC and LSU had 4 or more Day 1 and 2 ticks. At the end of the day, our older players are good players that form the core of the team but not enough elite difference makers. Think about this, NC State had a 1st, 2 3rds and a 4th rounder at Dline.

The good news is that it looks like we're going to have some elite players coming through the next few years.

Exactly, there were 16 ACC and SEC players picked in the 1st round and 43 Day 1 and 2 picks. UM had one player in the 3rd round. Ohio State, Bama, Georgia, USC and LSU had 4 or more Day 1 and 2 ticks. At the end of the day, our older players are good players that form the core of the team but not enough elite difference makers. Think about this, NC State had a 1st, 2 3rds and a 4th rounder at Dline. Oh and dominated a oline who was the best in the country and featured two top 10 picks but that slipped passed evaluators I guess

The good news is that it looks like we're going to have some elite players coming through the next few years.
And you can make the case for whatever reason that our guys were underdrafted especially on the dline. I mean After all, all they did was lead the defense that led the country in sacks and was top 3 in tfls

Advertisement
we were the least talented of big bowl teams along with wisky, they showed that stat. Its not surprising when u let kids go to uga fsu bama uf and everywhere else. Keep those kids we back in no time, if we dont we will be in the mud where we r where 10-3 is good enough

Dude. I watch your YouTube videos series and I generally support what you say, however you’ve been echoing the same mantra forever now about keeping SFla talent home. Everyone here knows SFla elite talent kept at home puts miami on a fast track to a title however everybody here also knows that we are fighting a SEC/clemson/FSU bag dropping machine we can’t compete against so we are NOT going to keep all the top talent home. We identified Jobe YEARS out and Bama came and nabbed him. We almost lost Frierson last cycle to Uga due to alleged “bags”. Tyson never took us serious and Uga board members were posting about he was theirs because they “bought” him. So my point is let’s not get worked up over things we can’t control. Let’s be appreciate for ‘Lo, Gurvan, Frierson, Jordan, Pope, Mallory and Silvera ...ELITE guys that are here because the WANT to be here. People said “win” and they will all come. Well we won double digits for the first time since ‘03 and it didn’t really change our class. Until the Feds decide that College Football is next to be investigated or they start paying players ...we know what Richt and co are up against. We can’t just say “gotta keep them home” and hope it happens.

Last edited:
Dude. I watch your YouTube videos series and I generally support what you say, however you’ve been echoing the same mantra forever now about keeping SFla talent home. Everyone here knows SFla elite talent kept at home puts miami on a fast track to a title however everybody here also knows that we are fighting a SEC/clemson/FSU bag dropping machine we can’t compete against so we are NOT going to keep all the top talent home. We identified Jobe YEARS out and Bama cane and nabbed him. We almost lost Frierson last cycle to Uga due to alleged “bags”. Tyson never took us serious and Uga board members were posting about he was theirs because they “bought” him. So my point is let’s not get worked up over things we can’t control. Let’s be appreciate for ‘Lo, Gurvan, Frierson, Jordan, Pope, Mallory and Silvera ...guys that are here because the WANT to be here. People said “win” and they will all come. Well we won double digits for the first time since ‘03 and it didn’t really change our class. Until the Feds decide that College Football is next to be investigated or they start paying players ...we know what Richt and co are up against. We can’t just say “gotta keep them home” and hope it happens.
I don't see Emmert ever going after Bama with Saban. You're right...it'll take the FBI or Congress.

The Chinese have invaded this board, clean that up mod. Now back on topic, the QB play was bad but Herndon dropped because he was injured, he was a second round talent. Walton dropped also because he was injured, he too would have been a second round talent. This whole lack of talent argument makes no sense.

Advertisement
And you can make the case for whatever reason that our guys were underdrafted especially on the dline. I mean After all, all they did was lead the defense that led the country in sacks and was top 3 in tfls

McIntosh perhaps but that thyroid issue knocked him down. After that could you point out top-end elite talent on our DL?

The Chinese have invaded this board, clean that up mod. Now back on topic, the QB play was bad but Herndon dropped because he was injured, he was a second round talent. Walton dropped also because he was injured, he too would have been a second round talent. This whole lack of talent argument makes no sense.
Herndon didn't have the route-running ability or production to be considered a 2nd round pick. The most he could have done was excel in private workout for teams and tear up the combine and he still would have been a 3rd round pick at best. I agree on Walton.

It does make sense with a bit of context. We haven't had any drafts where we're pumping out multiple players on day 1 and 2 since 2015. Bama, OSU, LSU, Clemson, and FSU do it annually.

Ah oh another dude caller on this juvenile site. Anyone that uses term dude, corch and staph on this site is a charter member of the “herd” forum.
Ok, Sherman Hemsley. This site is what it is. If this site is too juvenile for a dude of your mature stature, why don't you do the George Jefferson walk the fûck outta here instead of lingering around like the smell of old cat litter?

Advertisement
Golden was not a bad recruiter. He actually was pretty good at QB evaluations. Rosier and Kaaya turned out well despite not being highly sought after recruits.
Are you kidding? Golden was a great recruiter for the Gators and the Noles, not so much Miami. Also, we haven't had a top notch QB since Dorsey graduated. Berlin was serviceable, but that's about it.

Golden was not a bad recruiter. He actually was pretty good at QB evaluations. Rosier and Kaaya turned out well despite not being highly sought after recruits.

He was awful. Look at the 2011, 2012 and 2013 classes and look at how many kids were signed and were gone within 24 months. It was unprecedented.

Advertisement
Back