Kosi likely can't transfer this year

Perry clearly stunk last year. But he seems to be the lesser of two evils from the standpoint of team morale and character and locker room dynamics. Suitcase has better skills no doubt, but there comes a time when you can’t keep begging your QB to stick around.

My stance is that Perry isn’t a great QB, but he’s a better option as a backup because he’s willing to be a backup without burning the locker room down unlike Suitcase.

And I trust him more than a true freshman Van ******* if King gets hurt. Maybe Van ******* will be a prodigy and light the world on fire right away, but I like the comfort of giving Perry a shot as the backup this year in what should be a well-coached offense.

In 2019 he was the lesser of the two evils. Agreed. Even though he was sub par on the field. In 2018, as a RFrosh, he was the problem child. Just like JW.

It works out for us now because although he’s matured more, he still hasn’t committed to his craft- BUT - now we have King.

So, to your point, he can play his role and settle in as a backup this year with the hopes of getting the nod in 2021 without being a baby about it.

But, I’m not sure I trust Perry more than a Frosh. His Pittsburgh, Duke, FIU and LT Numbers give me reason for pause. He didn’t do anything a Frosh couldn’t do, and he didn’t take the reigns as a 3rd year player last year.

I would give TVD a shot to surpass him.

Advertisement
Think he just said he's not transferring onFB.
IMG_20200124_095514.jpg

Last edited:
He could potentially transfer to a FCS school play for a season & then comeback to FBS.

For example, he could transfer to Bethune & have immediate eligibility, play for them this season, then hit the portal for 2021 as a GT.

Doubt he does that, Kosi actually likes being at Miami, I think he'll adjust fine to being the primary backup.
I agree totally and I believe he really wants to graduate from UM. He is a good student.

Unless he thinks he can get a waiver to become immediately eligible, it gets him nothing. The NCAA's rule on eligibility is that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. Kosi's already been in school 3 years, and played 2 seasons, meaning has 2 years left to play 2 seasons, regardless of whether he transfers or not. So he only has 2 options: transfer to his new school this year and sit out the year, then play 1 season at his new school, or stay on as the backup this year, graduate, and potentially go leave as a grad transfer in 2021 (or maybe win the starting job here).

In other words, his 2 choices are:
2020 - transfer to his new school and sit out the year
2021 - play at his new school

OR

2020 - Canes' backup, graduate in May (or whenever)
2021 - Grad transfer to a new school/compete for the starting job here

Assuming he can't get a waiver, transferring this year would accomplish nothing other than to prevent him from playing in the 2020 season.
Don't see him transferring at all. He should have his degree next year. Depending on how he progresses in the new offense, I could see him as the starter in 2021. I think Lashlee's offense will fit him better with simpler reads and pushing the ball down the field which N'kosi does pretty well.

We'll see how things play out after the Spring and who wins the backup job. If N'kosi is #3 then, I could see a transfer. If he's #2 and is a strong 2nd to King, then I se him finishing his career at UM.

Jarren was a b*tch. Glad he's gone.

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about a kid who's willing to ride the bench just because he likes the city.

He has 2 years left to prove he can play in the NFL. Is that not important to him? If it was and what some of you are saying is true, that Miami doesn't view him as a potential starter, this year or next, he should transfer and go compete. What competitor willingly rides the bench?

I don't want a kid to stay at Miami because he enjoys the perks and the lifestyle of playing in Miami. Isn't that the culture problem we are trying to remove?
He wants to graduate. He is very close to accomplishing that.

Advertisement
Perry clearly stunk last year. But he seems to be the lesser of two evils from the standpoint of team morale and character and locker room dynamics. Suitcase has better skills no doubt, but there comes a time when you can’t keep begging your QB to stick around.

I didn’t comment on that part. Agreed. I’m not interested in begging kids to stay. But, the portal changes things. There was a time where we didn’t beg them to stay - we just didn’t permit them to leave. And knowing they didn’t have certain options certainly helped to control certain behaviors.

You know our history. Many a kid wanted to quit in the past. It just wasn’t as easy. Some turned out to be great. Some good. Others just serviceable.

JW was in desperate need of an Al Blades/Ed Reed/Dan Morgan & Co. type locker room.

It hilarious to me how people are always attacking South Fla when the overwhelming majority of our transfers are kids from Central/Northern FLa or OOS lol.

The hatred be so strong people don't even get the regions right...

😂 Now I hate SFL kids? Comical. I’m constantly saying that we have the best backyard in the game.

😂 Now I hate SFL kids? Comical. I’m constantly saying that we have the best backyard in the game.
Maybe it was a honest mistake, but to assume that people only "like" Perry because he's from South Fla even though he's not from South Fla is pretty funny though, you gotta admit.

And most people don't actually like him, most on the board just tolerate him because he didn't quit when he lost the job in Fall camp to Jarren & just continued to handle his business even though he realistically could've transferred last year & woulda been eligible this year.

Perry was one of the more hated players on the board this time last year, he just stuck it out long enough to where some lightened up on him due to the debacle of Jarren & how the rest of the QB room handled themselves, but make no mistake about it, he's not some beloved figure. Most people on here still don't like him.

Given our stunning success at QB, why would any of them transfer. Odds are whoever starts will crap the bed and so will the replacement. Third string here has got chance of getting a shot.

Advertisement
Maybe it was a honest mistake, but to assume that people only "like" Perry because he's from South Fla even though he's not from South Fla is pretty funny though, you gotta admit.

And most people don't actually like him, most on the board just tolerate him because he didn't quit when he lost the job in Fall camp to Jarren & just continued to handle his business even though he realistically could've transferred last year & woulda been eligible this year.

Perry was one of the more hated players on the board this time last year, he just stuck it out long enough to where some lightened up on him due to the debacle of Jarren & how the rest of the QB room handled themselves, but make no mistake about it, he's not some beloved figure. Most people on here still don't like him.
I agree with that... Me personally Though I just don't think Perry is a D1 level QB.... It looks like he's done some growing up and more power to him for it... Hopefully he sticks it out here and gets his degree to give him every chance at a great life after college...

LMAO. Yeah - I tucked the possibility of him giving us consistent/competent/good QB play so far in the back of my mind that I really forgot he was from Ocala - and I was really thinking Naples. Might be how annoyed I am with him.

But, I can’t go around telling the world that we have the best backyard in the game, and be a hater of South Florida talent. That doesn’t add up. I‘m pretty sure it’s the former.

Advertisement
In 2019 he was the lesser of the two evils. Agreed. Even though he was sub par on the field. In 2018, as a RFrosh, he was the problem child. Just like JW.

It works out for us now because although he’s matured more, he still hasn’t committed to his craft- BUT - now we have King.

So, to your point, he can play his role and settle in as a backup this year with the hopes of getting the nod in 2021 without being a baby about it.

But, I’m not sure I trust Perry more than a Frosh. His Pittsburgh, Duke, FIU and LT Numbers give me reason for pause. He didn’t do anything a Frosh couldn’t do, and he didn’t take the reigns as a 3rd year player last year.

I would give TVD a shot to surpass him.
I have similar trepidation about Perry’s skillset, friend. His lack of accuracy can be debilitating.

My hope is that he can get much better in a simpler faster paced offense that doesn’t require so much thinking. If he doesn’t get a lot better on the field, then Van ******* will have his chance to unseat him.

yeah that’s a CIS lie lol
My extra chromosome friend, I literally included the quote with a link to the ESPN article with Tate in a different post in this thread.

At that point, Martell announced that he was leaving the Buckeyes program. He didn't leave because he saw the writing on the wall, he did so because that writing was apparently dictated to him. Martell told ESPN.com that the Ohio State staff told him what his next step should be after the season wrapped up.

There's no CIS lie. They told him that he should transfer. It's why he got the waiver.

Advertisement
My extra chromosome friend, I literally included the quote with a link to the ESPN article with Tate in a different post in this thread.

There's no CIS lie. They told him that he should transfer. It's why he got the waiver.

They told him that he should transfer if he expects to be given the starting job simply bc he was loyal and waited his turn... that quote from ESPN is just some bs coming out of Tate’s mouth and this board took it ran with it.

y’all really believe a coach is going to tell a player we don’t want you here after that same coach was around him his entire time there and recruited him to Ohio state to begin with? Doesn’t even make sense.

whatever the reason why Martells transfer and immediate eligibility was approved had nothing to do with what a coach told him.

They told him that he should transfer if he expects to be given the starting job simply bc he was loyal and waited his turn... that quote from ESPN is just some bs coming out of Tate’s mouth and this board took it ran with it.

y’all really believe a coach is going to tell a player we don’t want you here after that same coach was around him his entire time there and recruited him to Ohio state to begin with? Doesn’t even make sense.

whatever the reason why Martells transfer and immediate eligibility was approved had nothing to do with what a coach told him.
You went from it being a CIS lie to a Tate and ESPN lie. The NCAA approved it and OSU facilitated it -- why? Because OSU told him that he should move on.

And yes, I believe that the coach told him that he wouldn't play there, they were bringing in Justin Fields and it would be in his best interest to move on. It's really not a crazy situation to believe happened.

Advertisement
Back