Kosi likely can't transfer this year

All you guys looking to run everyone off because of CultureGate will be the first simps using lack of depth and experience as a crutch when starters get hurt.

Perry was a good team guy last year and loves UM. He’s got a lot of experience too and will be better in Lashlee’s system just like everyone else.

King runs the ball a lot and has been hurt a couple times. I know Van ******* is the new flavor of the month here, but I’d rather have a 3rd year junior QB with ability and experience available in case King gets hurt again. I need to see Van ******* do something in a game before I get out the anointing oils.
Just call him Van ***** for short.

Advertisement
The OP is missing the point that transferring now gives him a whole year preparation with his new team. NKosi is in the same situation as Jarren (assuming Jarren could be hypothetically be a grad transfer next year).

Having said the above, I hope NKosi stays. He fcking if allowed to under a spread dumb-proof system.

Unless he thinks he can get a waiver to become immediately eligible, it gets him nothing. The NCAA's rule on eligibility is that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. Kosi's already been in school 3 years, and played 2 seasons, meaning has 2 years left to play 2 seasons, regardless of whether he transfers or not. So he only has 2 options: transfer to his new school this year and sit out the year, then play 1 season at his new school, or stay on as the backup this year, graduate, and potentially go leave as a grad transfer in 2021 (or maybe win the starting job here).

In other words, his 2 choices are:
2020 - transfer to his new school and sit out the year
2021 - play at his new school

OR

2020 - Canes' backup, graduate in May (or whenever)
2021 - Grad transfer to a new school/compete for the starting job here

Assuming he can't get a waiver, transferring this year would accomplish nothing other than to prevent him from playing in the 2020 season.
You probably meant "won't transfer". He CAN always do something stupid, like enter the draft.

I’d like go to stay. Think he can be a more than adequate backup here in the right system.

But if I were him I’d take a step down and play my last two years. He’s never getting this opportunity to play again. It’s a gift he should maximize.

Advertisement
The rule needs to be changed. If a student athlete is released from his scholarship then he should be free to transfer and play at any college that will offer him a scholarship.

Kosi isn’t from SoFlo. He’s from Ocala.

People like him bc he didn’t quit or complain. He comes off as a team guy.

He basically pulled the same dumb **** as a Frosh that JW pulled. Was he not suspended twice under Richt? So - one year later he matured a bit and was ok with riding the pine. That’s the difference.

He wasn’t some great team guy as a Frosh. That’s a lie. He had his issues. But, I’ll grant you that he didn’t quit like Suitcase.

Unless he thinks he can get a waiver to become immediately eligible, it gets him nothing. The NCAA's rule on eligibility is that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. Kosi's already been in school 3 years, and played 2 seasons, meaning has 2 years left to play 2 seasons, regardless of whether he transfers or not. So he only has 2 options: transfer to his new school this year and sit out the year, then play 1 season at his new school, or stay on as the backup this year, graduate, and potentially go leave as a grad transfer in 2021 (or maybe win the starting job here).

OR

Assuming he can't get a waiver, transferring this year would accomplish nothing other than to prevent him from playing in the 2020 season.
Lot of words in the statement but inaccurate. with You left off that he could go down to FCS and play right away.

Advertisement
He basically pulled the same dumb **** as a Frosh that JW pulled. Was he not suspended twice under Richt? So - one year later he matured a bit and was ok with riding the pine. That’s the difference.

He wasn’t some great team guy as a Frosh. That’s a lie. He had his issues. But, I’ll grant you that he didn’t quit like Suitcase.
They’re not even close. He was immature as a freshman and grew up. Never threatened to quit and was a team guy. JW was suitcase drama. He wasn’t a team guy. Like I said - people like Kosi bc he was a team guy who didn’t quit and complain. You also called him a “SFL Boi” as if that’s part of why people defend him but he’s from Ocala.

Unless you have a shot at moving to the next level, what reason is there to transfer?

Because you want to start during your college years. Most of these kids have been playing since they were 7 and almost all were stars the second they started playing. I sponsor a kid who was a Division II all-conference player who is almost 26 years old and he is still trying to get to the CFL or XFL. Hard to let go and hard to sit for 4 plus years at the college level. Everybody thinks this is all glamour. It's a job and it is a tough one to balance always being at Hecht, taking a full load, making grades, under the microscope, etc.

Last edited:
They’re not even close. He was immature as a freshman and grew up. Never threatened to quit and was a team guy. JW was suitcase drama. He wasn’t a team guy. Like I said - people like Kosi bc he was a team guy who didn’t quit and complain. You also called him a “SFL Boi” as if that’s part of why people defend him but he’s from Ocala.

So are you disputing that he was indeed suspended & disciplined as a RFrosh? How was he being a Team guy then?

He developed into an Team guy with time. But, people were DONE with N’Kosi after the **** video, BBoi social media shizza and his bad decisions. That’s a fact. He clearly wasn’t honing his craft as a RFrosh.

Now we have revisionist history going on.

As RFrosh, they both acted like idiots. Not team players. Jarren produced more as a RFrosh on the field. Jarren touched up his dumb acts by not adjusting and simply quitting. Perry seems to be ok with riding the pine.

That’s the difference.

OR

Kosi does have other options, he has 2 years of eligibility left so in theory he could transfer to an FCS school and be eligible immediately. The other scenario I don't have as much information on mainly because I don't know how many credits is he from graduating, if he could graduate by the end of the summer session he could transfer and be eligible immediately this year.

Advertisement
Doubtful. NCAA is cracking down on waivers and I don't think Tate's sole argument was about OC change. Day didn't want him back and told him so.
I don't see the NCAA cracking down on anything, they're losing a lot of power as a governing body in football. The portal itself is an example of how things have given the players more flexibility.

His best option is to stay here. If he transfers to an FBS school, he’s going to have to sit out a year and then compete with whoever that school has for the job in 2021 as a senior. If he transfers to an FCS school with the hopes of eventually transferring back to an FBS school, he’ll still have to compete against whoever that FBS school has while being on his fourth offensive coordinator in four years (Richt, Penos, whoever is at the FCS school, whoever is at his FBS school) that’s a recipe for failure. If he stays here, he can back up King in 2020 and master Lashley’s offense while possibly getting some playing time. In 2021, he’ll have the leg up to win the starting position in an offense he’s already familiar with.

Anyone have a rivals account? Looks like Shodell spoke to someone close to Perry last night.. posted on the Miami message board. Any idea what it said?

Advertisement
The rule needs to be changed. If a student athlete is released from his scholarship then he should be free to transfer and play at any college that will offer him a scholarship.

I think they should be allowed to transfer after their sophomore years if they're in good academic standing at their current institutions. ****, they let JUCO players do it, why not a student-athlete at a 4 year institution...

OR

Who says he even wants to transfer?

SMU’s average QB was pretty good in Lashlee’s offense. I wouldn’t be surprised if Perry puts up better numbers than he has in the past. And?

Unless King gets hurt, Perry will be a RS Senior before he can compete for the starting job. Color me unimpressed. Where was he last year as a third year player when we needed him?

Here is how he finished 2019 - while not being able to replace “Suitcase Jerry”....

————————

Threw for 104 yards with one interception on 10-for-24 passing in start at Pittsburgh (Oct. 26)...Saw action as reserve in win over Louisville (Nov. 9)...Finished with 19 passing yards on 2-for-9 passing in regular season finale against Duke (Nov. 30)...Finished 5-for-13 for 52 passing yards and added 19 rushing yards in 2019 Walk-On's Independence Bowl against Louisiana Tech (Dec. 26).

————————

Comical.
Perry clearly stunk last year. But he seems to be the lesser of two evils from the standpoint of team morale and character and locker room dynamics. Suitcase has better skills no doubt, but there comes a time when you can’t keep begging your QB to stick around.

My stance is that Perry isn’t a great QB, but he’s a better option as a backup because he’s willing to be a backup without burning the locker room down unlike Suitcase.

And I trust him more than a true freshman Van ******* if King gets hurt. Maybe Van ******* will be a prodigy and light the world on fire right away, but I like the comfort of giving Perry a shot as the backup this year in what should be a well-coached offense.

He'd be stupid to transfer. He can just play year behind King and really understand what it means to be QB, and then come back and be ready to take on Alabama!

Advertisement
Back