Kosi likely can't transfer this year

Unless he thinks he can get a waiver to become immediately eligible, it gets him nothing. The NCAA's rule on eligibility is that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. Kosi's already been in school 3 years, and played 2 seasons, meaning has 2 years left to play 2 seasons, regardless of whether he transfers or not. So he only has 2 options: transfer to his new school this year and sit out the year, then play 1 season at his new school, or stay on as the backup this year, graduate, and potentially go leave as a grad transfer in 2021 (or maybe win the starting job here).

In other words, his 2 choices are:
2020 - transfer to his new school and sit out the year
2021 - play at his new school

OR

2020 - Canes' backup, graduate in May (or whenever)
2021 - Grad transfer to a new school/compete for the starting job here

Assuming he can't get a waiver, transferring this year would accomplish nothing other than to prevent him from playing in the 2020 season.

Advertisement
Doubtful. NCAA is cracking down on waivers and I don't think Tate's sole argument was about OC change. Day didn't want him back and told him so.

I believe the reason cited was that OSU didn't fight to keep him. At this point, it is pretty obvious that Miami does not plan to play Kosi. I haven't read about the NCAA cracking down on waivers, that is interesting if true.

Advertisement
He could potentially transfer to a FCS school play for a season & then comeback to FBS.

For example, he could transfer to Bethune & have immediate eligibility, play for them this season, then hit the portal for 2021 as a GT.

Doubt he does that, Kosi actually likes being at Miami, I think he'll adjust fine to being the primary backup.

I'm all for him competing and seeing where the chips fall...

Everyone can't start, and the talent we just acquired is serious, but that doesn't mean he should run.

We get on the kid, but he's matured and been (from what I've seen at least) a good teammate...We can't get on him both ways, some are mad that he wasn't good enough when he did get a chance to start. Others wanna get mad he's actually gonna (possibly) stay and try and compete for a job (starter or backup)...he can't win man.

I got no beef with Kosi and I honestly wish cuz the best...I can see growth and congratulate that. I hope he stays here and finishes his career on a high note.

:salute: N'Kosi

Advertisement
I believe the reason cited was that OSU didn't fight to keep him. At this point, it is pretty obvious that Miami does not plan to play Kosi. I haven't read about the NCAA cracking down on waivers, that is interesting if true.
Manny isn't showing him the door. Just not planning to start him is one thing. He's not pushing out the second most experienced guy on the roster. Kosi would be smart to stay this year, graduate and grad transfer for a senior year.

Never understood why he didnt enroll early. If he did he would probably be on pace to graduate already and could bounce. Hopefully inbetween shoots with the kicker's chick he was stayin on top of his academics, maybe he graduates in spring and makes a move

Manny isn't showing him the door. Just not planning to start him is one thing. He's not pushing out the second most experienced guy on the roster. Kosi would be smart to stay this year, graduate and grad transfer for a senior year.

This same situation describes Tates transfer from OSU. Tate was not pushed out of OSU, they just didn't fight to keep him. The same can be said for Jarren, which has been reported from several media outlets.

Advertisement
Unless he thinks he can get a waiver to become immediately eligible, it gets him nothing. The NCAA's rule on eligibility is that a player has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. Kosi's already been in school 3 years, and played 2 seasons, meaning has 2 years left to play 2 seasons, regardless of whether he transfers or not. So he only has 2 options: transfer to his new school this year and sit out the year, then play 1 season at his new school, or stay on as the backup this year, graduate, and potentially go leave as a grad transfer in 2021 (or maybe win the starting job here).

In other words, his 2 choices are:
2020 - transfer to his new school and sit out the year
2021 - play at his new school

OR

2020 - Canes' backup, graduate in May (or whenever)
2021 - Grad transfer to a new school/compete for the starting job here

Assuming he can't get a waiver, transferring this year would accomplish nothing other than to prevent him from playing in the 2020 season.

Why all the perry transfer talk, who said he was going anywhere, yall been doing that to that man to much. He's never had his name attached to transferring, for what, he's just here to play alil ball and smash!

Jarren was a b*tch. Glad he's gone.

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about a kid who's willing to ride the bench just because he likes the city.

He has 2 years left to prove he can play in the NFL. Is that not important to him? If it was and what some of you are saying is true, that Miami doesn't view him as a potential starter, this year or next, he should transfer and go compete. What competitor willingly rides the bench?

I don't want a kid to stay at Miami because he enjoys the perks and the lifestyle of playing in Miami. Isn't that the culture problem we are trying to remove?

This same situation describes Tates transfer from OSU. Tate was not pushed out of OSU, they just didn't fight to keep him. The same can be said for Jarren, which has been reported from several media outlets.
At that point, Martell announced that he was leaving the Buckeyes program. He didn't leave because he saw the writing on the wall, he did so because that writing was apparently dictated to him. Martell told ESPN.com that the Ohio State staff told him what his next step should be after the season wrapped up.

Nah, it doesn't align at all. Miami isn't going to dictate to Kosi what he should do like the quote above suggests. These situations aren't similar outside of the new coaches and QB incoming.

Advertisement
I'm all for him competing and seeing where the chips fall...

Everyone can't start, and the talent we just acquired is serious, but that doesn't mean he should run.

We get on the kid, but he's matured and been (from what I've seen at least) a good teammate...We can't get on him both ways, some are mad that he wasn't good enough when he did get a chance to start. Others wanna get mad he's actually gonna (possibly) stay and try and compete for a job (starter or backup)...he can't win man.

I got no beef with Kosi and I honestly wish cuz the best...I can see growth and congratulate that. I hope he stays here and finishes his career on a high note.

:salute: N'Kosi
I just don't see all these people who are mad at Kosi for staying. Why would anyone be mad at the prospect of him staying?

He could potentially transfer to a FCS school play for a season & then comeback to FBS.

For example, he could transfer to Bethune & have immediate eligibility, play for them this season, then hit the portal for 2021 as a GT.

Doubt he does that, Kosi actually likes being at Miami, I think he'll adjust fine to being the primary backup.

Yeap. I actually like him being the back up & battling with TVD next year.

Jarren was a b*tch. Glad he's gone.

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about a kid who's willing to ride the bench just because he likes the city.

He has 2 years left to prove he can play in the NFL. Is that not important to him? If it was and what some of you are saying is true, that Miami doesn't view him as a potential starter, this year or next, he should transfer and go compete. What competitor willingly rides the bench?

I don't want a kid to stay at Miami because he enjoys the perks and the lifestyle of playing in Miami. Isn't that the culture problem we are trying to remove?

Being a graduate of the University of Miami & the alumni connections is bigger & better than some lower level transfer school just to maybe get the same shot he’d get here within the same amount of time.

Put some respect on the name of this great university. It’s a hard place to just up & leave.

That kid has miami tattooed on his arm..permanently.

Advertisement
Back