Know Your Enemy - 2023 FSU Roster vs 2023 Miami Roster

Advertisement
Advertisement
They showed they gave a crap about playing for each other and their coaching staff. Us, not so much. That's gotta change or all that ranked talent means jack. We're an injury or two at DT and CB from playing I don't know who.

Irregardless, I appreciate the time you put into making that list. It's not something I've seen done in that fashion. Nicely done.

Advertisement
Someone who graduated from hungry
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

recruiting rankings are a good indicator of teams talent level. Where we are critically behind is player development.
Norvel or someone on staff is doing a helluva job finding talent in portal......
Man I thought same of Diaz the first two years, and Then the bottom fell out. Norvell has hit gold these two last year's. I just don't think you can bank on doing that every year.

How I see it 85 to 90 of your contributing player should come up through your system. The Portal should be a stop gap for years you have unbalanced roster or significant issue to a particular group. If You are banking on transfers to contribute major production for several groups on your team. You are in big trouble.

Advertisement
Man I thought same of Diaz the first two years, and Then the bottom fell out. Norvell has hit gold these two last year's. I just don't think you can bank on doing that every year.

How I see it 85 to 90 of your contributing player should come up through your system. The Portal should be a stop gap for years you have unbalanced roster or significant issue to a particular group. If You are banking on transfers to contribute major production for several groups on your team. You are in big trouble.
correct on portal, need to develop your own talent by way HS recruits. Norvel has a very sharp guy doing talent evals in portal.
FSU was in 12-15 range in HS rankings and with out NIL, he need that portal more so than CMC does at Miami. Also big time programs use portal for 1-2 key talents Bama for example UGA has not use but will as needed in future. Clemson NO as Dabo is a true believer in what he is selling......
the 1 position I think you will see continue to see lots of movement is QB...... everyone needs a trigger man.

Now updated to include actual years of college football experience.

Overall Florida State is averaging 2.2 years of CFB experience to Miami's 1.6.

Average Player Years in College Football Per Position:

Wide Receiver: Florida State: 1.85 years Miami: 1.77 years
Tight End: Florida State: 2.57 years Miami: 1.33 years
Running Back: Florida State: 1.83 years Miami: 1.40 years
Offensive Line: Florida State: 2.73 years Miami: 2.00 years
Quarterback: Florida State: 1.80 years Miami: 1.50 years
Defensive Tackle: Miami: 2.83 years Florida State: 2.22 years
Defensive End: Florida State: 1.77 years Miami: 1.55 years
Linebacker: Florida State: 2.33 years Miami: 1.30 years
Safety: Florida State: 1.25 years Miami: 1.00 years
Cornerback: Florida State: 2.30 years Miami: 1.55 years
Special Teams: Florida State: 3.50 years Miami: 1.00 years

That's just overall players per position. If you isolate to starters it becomes much worse.

A few examples from last November:
Quarterback: Florida State: 3.00 years Miami: 2.00 years (although Jacurri Brown played most of the game, with zero years experience)
Running Back: Florida State: 2.00 years Miami: 1.50 years
Wide Receiver: Florida State: 3.66 years Miami: 1.66 years

Last edited:
Advertisement
Comparison updated to include Matt Lee. Hopefully we can move Jackson tomorrow back to the correct side.

Really looks like they only got us at a few positions. We have a lot more kids above .90.
Of ratings yea. Production is what I was looking at and that roster at FSU will be picked to represent the coastal by a lot of folk..personally I think our hype was a year ahead of schedule. Year 2, better luck on the health front I’m looking forward to us having a much better campaign

Updated to include all of the roster changes in the last few months by both teams.

Some immediate observations:

- FSU is still overleveraged at wide receiver. On an 85 roster they are carrying 12. Between 2006 and present, Miami never hit that number in a non-pandemic year

- In average composite ranking per position, Miami wins at all positions but safety

- At a position level, FSU maintains an edge in experience. They have the advantage at tight end, running back, offensive line, quarterback, defensive end, linebacker, safety, and special teams.

- FSU has 21 transfer portal players on their roster. Miami is not far behind, with 19 presently.

Advertisement
Back