Know Your Enemy - 2023 FSU Roster vs 2023 Miami Roster

Advertisement
It’s funny man, for all the rankings and hype, most of the comparisons are pretty much the same. Close enough, anyway.

I mean, I don’t see why it matters if one team has several .94s and the other has .91s at a given position…they’re virtually the same for all intents and purposes. Close enough that it doesn’t matter.

Kind of like a guy that runs a 4.65 versus 4.57. Sure I guess you can feel good about the faster one, but in real time it’s a blip. At that point there are other factors coming into play that’ll make a difference.

And even that’s assuming rankings (or testing, per my example) are accurate. If you’d never seen him play, I guess you’d assume Jordan Travis is a bum expected to transfer on either team.
Recruiting rankings only overtake everything when you’ve recruited at a Bama/UGA level for 5-10 years. It’s all about coaching and schemes. Not to mention those are mainly high school ratings. Re-rate every kid on both rosters, based on now, and then see how close it is.

The portal was all Norvell needed. They’ve been garbage and WR and TE for years, but Wilson and Bell are better than anyone we’ve got at those positions. FSU actually got lucky they recruited QB so bad that they had no choice but to go with Travis, who turned out to be good.

Their highest rated defensive end would be our lowest

Our safety room is also way more productive and experienced (and more talented by rating).
They have 6 total starts combined... all by Jones last season. Thomas played a bunch and is talented, but I'll take Williams/Kinchens over Thomas/Jones as starters. Both teams showing a lack of experienced depth, but we have a slight edge there, too.

Recruiting rankings only overtake everything when you’ve recruited at a Bama/UGA level for 5-10 years. It’s all about coaching and schemes. Not to mention those are mainly high school ratings. Re-rate every kid on both rosters, based on now, and then see how close it is.

The portal was all Norvell needed. They’ve been garbage and WR and TE for years, but Wilson and Bell are better than anyone we’ve got at those positions. FSU actually got lucky they recruited QB so bad that they had no choice but to go with Travis, who turned out to be good.
Here’s the challenge.

The portal talent pool is in some respects far more limited in quality than the high school field. In the latter, it’s theoretical based on HS performance. In the portal, we have college game film on these players.

Right now FSU has been able to Hoover up a lot of the best of that limited pool. They’re kind of the Alabama in the transfer portal. But as more teams find that model attractive and begin to see the virtue of having a roster that is 35% portal players, can FSU compete and continue to be the Crimson Tide of the portal?

Advertisement
Here’s the challenge.

The portal talent pool is in some respects far more limited in quality than the high school field. In the latter, it’s theoretical based on HS performance. In the portal, we have college game film on these players.

Right now FSU has been able to Hoover up a lot of the best of that limited pool. They’re kind of the Alabama in the transfer portal. But as more teams find that model attractive and begin to see the virtue of having a roster that is 35% portal players, can FSU compete and continue to be the Crimson Tide of the portal?
Maybe, maybe not. Unlike high school kids who are signing somewhere they believe they’ll be for 3-4 years, who need everything (S&C, nutrition, living arrangements, etc.) portal guys are usually 1 and done, sometimes 2. So they might not value the highest bidder or best (winning) program, best weight room, apartments, whatever. They mostly want immediate playing time and/or to play for a certain coach or system.

So while teams like Bama could get in the mix more than what they are, they really don’t have to bc they have so much talent stacked. But if they did, they still wouldn’t land a Verse. He wouldn’t go to Bama to be the first guy off the bench when he could go to FSU and be an every down player. His goal is to get to the league. He needs film against high level completion to do that.

TCU's roster stinks too......................

.......Coaching matters.

Patterson built up a TCU culture for over 20 years. Ours has been total crap over that same period. FIU brawl, Cooper getting shot in the ***, Pata, Moore choking his girlfriend, etc. all the way up through Golden's starting OL photo shoot, Jalar Holey's breakdancing and Manny's slip & slide. I know Patterson's teams started losing in the end before Dykes took over. But culture means something.

Mikey proved he's a quality coach. Not arguing that. But he's a bad recruiter. They'll be a threat like Pitt is a threat. We should still beat them soundly.

Advertisement
Obviously im not the first to mention this, but...

My first takeaway is our side is composed of ~82 players

Their side is composed of ~96 players.

GIF by South Park

Hence our need to go all out in the portal (and for those last couple of decent HS kids still unsigned). We should be signing 10 more knowing we can relatively painlessly find 7 attrits between now and June.

Advertisement
That’s why I think they’ll get us bad again this year….we are so young. 2024 things will be very close as this class will have a year under their belts, and 2025 we pull back ahead.

Yeah, I wish Mario was a little more aggressive in the portal to fill the experience gaps for short term. He seems set on the traditional build the program by recruiting and developing talent from the HS ranks mainly. That's probably the best way long term, but takes a while to have the talent waiting on the bench to plug and play when guys leave like a Bama, UGA, OSU, etc. We are not at that level yet.

Advertisement
That TCU DB and WR would be far and away our best players lol so saying their roster stinks isn’t truthful

recruiting rankings are a good indicator of teams talent level. Where we are critically behind is player development.
Norvel or someone on staff is doing a helluva job finding talent in portal......

Advertisement
Back