Kirk Herbstreit Got Mad Love 4 da Canes

Advertisement
Free drinks and free strip clubs in the 305 anytime for Herbieā€¦pay it forward.

Kirk likes and respects Miami, and wants us to have a chance to be competitive.

He does NOT have "mad love" for Miami.

Why can't people just take Kirk at his word? Like. Not love.
College football is best when there are more then 3-4 teams capable of winning the championship. When there are more teams that are good his job is better. Talking about bama every season has to be boring.

In before the, ā€œESPN hate Miamiā€ ppl start.

That Richt led undefeated team was on ESPN all the time. Everyone was wearing turnover chains. CFB loves when Miami is on either too root for or against. But they love when we on our ****tt

The only ones who "love" or "hate" Miami are the passionate fans, or bitter rivals.

ESPN talking headsā€”outside a Herbstreit of Fowlerā€”really don't have any emotion towards Miami, other than it being a polarizing program and talking about it is good for business.

So many sports fans nationwide HATE the Canes, which is why UM is on TV so oftenā€”knowing fans will tune in to see Miami win, while outsiders and rivals watch hoping Miami gets beat. (Similar to the Notre Dame effect.)

Sports fans aren't indifferent about the Canes; it's a love or hate thingā€”which is why the media always plays up the 7-0 starts (against patsies) and the "Is 'The U' back??" chatterā€”so that when a loss hits, they can tear the program down and the "haters" can chime in.

Finebaum didn't rock a "Turnover Chain" out of any love for Miami; it was the TRENDY thing to do at the timeā€”an easy way to eat crow after playing Negative Nancy about the Canes. It's all a business and a game.

ESPN also knows the world is tired of Alabama, that Clemson was boring and that Georgia is just the Junior Crimson Tide without the polarizing Nick Saban character. They need a Miami to be good, or even a Southern Cal and Notre Dame to a lesser degreeā€”because no one plays the college football villain better than the Hurricanes.

Wouldn't be surprised if Herbstreit's takedown of UM came from higher up and wasn't a completely altruistic move; that ESPN's top brass (smart people) see the Saban dynasty ending soon and they need to beef up some other programs to compete for supremacyā€”as no one wants Georgia to slide into that spot unchallenged.

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane , @Cribby I appreciate everything you shared. It's a great backstory to what we saw playing out in the media. Love hearing how instrumental Vilma was to the house cleaning.

I think you're being hard on Frenk. He did hire Mark Richt and doubled the budget overnight early on. Academic institutions don't turn on a dime like tech firms, and he shook it up with that change. Clearly, Frenk should have required James to do a proper search when Richt retired, that was a big mistake. But he did only give the Manny era 2 seasons and a few games before taking the right action. That's pretty swift for a President, I think. Also, how often do ADs get fired? Has to be extremely rare. And Frenk did that against the wishes of a significant and vocal part of the board.

Not saying the guy is a historic leader. Just that he manned up to his own mistake and got us to this outcome. Worth giving the benefit of the doubt to me.

I respect your point of view, and I'm not arguing every point. I just don't think a fireman is a hero if he started the fire.

Frenk didn't hire Richt, Beta Blake did. And while we paid Richt more, I think we have to look at market factors too. Golden (Diaz too) was hired from Temple, but Richt came from UGa. Richt definitely deserved a higher salary based on his resume, and if he had been unavailable, we may not have offered another candidate the same amount. As for "doubled the budget overnight early on", I'm not sure what you are referring to. As I said, yes, the coaching salaries increased, but the operating budget was not increased in any significant way, which should not, of course, detract from the very real coaching salary increase.

As for the Manny Era, @Cribby and a few others can provide some context on this, but there were some promises made by Diaz that he did not keep, and some assistance offered to him that he did not take, so I'm not so sure that this "2 seasons and 2 games quick hook" is really some sort of powerful executive decision. It just seems like the natural consequence of Manny betting on himself and crapping out.

Anyhow, I do understand that a lot of folks tend to give the top dog credit, if not for every decision, then at least for delegating properly and creating the situation for the right things to happen. I get it. I just feel like Echevarria should have been brought in sooner. Who knows, maybe Julio started to feel his oats after sacking the Dean of the Law School. He started to look in the mirror and see that same ****, powerful man that all the rest of us see.

Frenk started off with 6 bad years. Let's revisit this in 6 years. If Frenk is still President and everything is rock-solid, I'll give him credit. But he has to work off those first 6 years....

College football is best when there are more then 3-4 teams capable of winning the championship. When there are more teams that are good his job is better. Talking about bama every season has to be boring.

Absolutely true.

I respect your point of view, and I'm not arguing every point. I just don't think a fireman is a hero if he started the fire.

Frenk didn't hire Richt, Beta Blake did. And while we paid Richt more, I think we have to look at market factors too. Golden (Diaz too) was hired from Temple, but Richt came from UGa. Richt definitely deserved a higher salary based on his resume, and if he had been unavailable, we may not have offered another candidate the same amount. As for "doubled the budget overnight early on", I'm not sure what you are referring to. As I said, yes, the coaching salaries increased, but the operating budget was not increased in any significant way, which should not, of course, detract from the very real coaching salary increase.

As for the Manny Era, @Cribby and a few others can provide some context on this, but there were some promises made by Diaz that he did not keep, and some assistance offered to him that he did not take, so I'm not so sure that this "2 seasons and 2 games quick hook" is really some sort of powerful executive decision. It just seems like the natural consequence of Manny betting on himself and crapping out.

Anyhow, I do understand that a lot of folks tend to give the top dog credit, if not for every decision, then at least for delegating properly and creating the situation for the right things to happen. I get it. I just feel like Echevarria should have been brought in sooner. Who knows, maybe Julio started to feel his oats after sacking the Dean of the Law School. He started to look in the mirror and see that same ****, powerful man that all the rest of us see.

Frenk started off with 6 bad years. Let's revisit this in 6 years. If Frenk is still President and everything is rock-solid, I'll give him credit. But he has to work off those first 6 years....

I wouldnā€™t even say he started the fire, but he didnā€™t have enough sense to know there was a fire in the garage. He never smelt it or even saw it until everyone on the block saw it and it was on the news lol. He was completely clueless to what was going on in the program. He was the definition of inept. So excuse me for not wanting to give you crazy credit for rebuilding the house after watching it burn downā€¦.. on your watch

Advertisement
I wouldnā€™t even say he started the fire, but he didnā€™t have enough sense to know there was a fire in the garage. He never smelt it or even saw it until everyone on the block saw it and it was on the news lol. He was completely clueless to what was going on in the program. He was the definition of inept. So excuse me for not wanting to give you crazy credit for rebuilding the house after watching it burn downā€¦.. on your watch

Yes sir. Thank you for improving upon my analogy! Yes, there are some very valid reasons why I want to see how the rest of the Frenk Era plays out before I crown him.

Kirk Herbstreit gets a lot of heat. Regardless of its moral value, he played pattycake with Erin Andrews. That's worth at least a couple of puntos somewhere.

Yummy, yummy pun-tos.

I understand both your points on Frenk. There was a long period where I was disgusted with the inaction.

But I feel you need to give credit for good decisions if you're going to give blame for bad ones. Blake hired Richt under Frenk, so the latter approved that hire even if he wasn't directly responsible for it, just like he did with Manny. And I don't think Frenk started the fire, with Manny. He allowed his "expert" AD to make the hire and tied Blake's fate to it. I also think he moved relatively swiftly, as even I wouldn't have fired Manny, once hired, until the MSU game. His latest fundraising goal seems ambitious as well.

Again, I get the caution. And maybe Frenk was just lucky this time. Time will tell how his tenure evolves. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Advertisement
I understand both your points on Frenk. There was a long period where I was disgusted with the inaction.

But I feel you need to give credit for good decisions if you're going to give blame for bad ones. Blake hired Richt under Frenk, so the latter approved that hire even if he wasn't directly responsible for it, just like he did with Manny. And I don't think Frenk started the fire, with Manny. He allowed his "expert" AD to make the hire and tied Blake's fate to it. I also think he moved relatively swiftly, as even I wouldn't have fired Manny, once hired, until the MSU game. His latest fundraising goal seems ambitious as well.

Again, I get the caution. And maybe Frenk was just lucky this time. Time will tell how his tenure evolves. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Iā€™ve given him credit in the past on how he took this situation over and handed it to Fernandez and Echevarria. He was very much involved in the HC and AD search. Even though I wouldnā€™t say he was the brains behind it. He did what good leaders do, hand things over to people who know the situation better and listen to their feedback. Surrounding yourself with smarter people than yourself is always a good trait in leadership. When it comes to sports / football he knows nothing.

If it hasn't been mentioned already.....people in Columbus, Ohio do not like Herbstreit. I have a LOT of family there and (don't hold it against me) I was born in Columbus. I have relatives that still work at The Asterick State University. The long time people who have worked at * generally do not like him.....the younger folks there don't even know he played ball there because it's not exactly something that * people talk a lot about.......and this was BEFORE Kirk's comments earlier this season about The Canes.

Yes, my fellow Canes.....if this works out even close to the way we hope it does with CMC then I will contribute money to any fund that gets Herbstreit "Honorary Cane Status".
It's possible some of these people believe the cover story ESPN floated to get Herbie moved out of Upper Arlington (Ohio) and to Nashville. With ESECPN becoming a reality, having the face of the sport they developed in B1G country (and with the B1G Network a Fox property) was becoming more tenuous. So some grumbling by OSUck fans about Herbie was blown way out of proportion by ESECPN PR as to be "threatening." I'm the last person to defend OSUck fan behavior, but what was alleged was false. How do I know? I now live in the Miami (go figure) Valley of Ohio (joined the military in Florida) where Herbie played ball at Centerville HS. I have been assured by connected people in the know that this is what went down and Herbie's loyalty to OSUck is still strong, he just had to do what was needed for his career, unless he wanted to go to the B1G Network/Fox and they didn't even have their CFB show at that time. He is still revered in this part of Ohio...

Advertisement
Never understood why people are even up in arms about this play in the first place. That refs missed a horrible call in regulation that would have ended the game, resulting in Ohio State winning in regulation.

Advertisement
Back