King released by the Pats

Advertisement
****. I read this before I noticed who posted it and I kinda took it seriously for a second. That’s on me.
Think what you will about me. If you watched the kid play it was apparent, he was not a quality college QB. When he got hurt in the Bowl game, Knosi moved the offense better. When he got hurt last season TVD was evidence how much better the team was with a real Prototype QB. Now 75 minutes into a OTA session the Patriots, The GOAT Bill Belicheck in a round about way "agreed" with me. He was not going to waste the teams or the kid's time by keeping him around. He is young and has lots of career options in front of him, just not as a QB my friend.

Maybe he's the next Kurt Warner.

Or maybe it's time to find a non-playing career.

Good luck to him either way. He's a real one.
Hard question:

What position in NFL could he contribute where there isn't several more players with better "measureables"?

From his public persona, seems like a natural fit to head to coaching.

King never had a shot to succeed. The offense undergoes a scheme change and the receiver position is set up for this season. Not well by any standards, but the receivers are experienced route runners at the very least.

King is not that and he does not add special return value the team doesn't already have. Thornton might not play significant snaps any time soon. People wanted King to be Edelman, but Edelman was a freak in many ways.

Advertisement
Hard question:

What position in NFL could he contribute where there isn't several more players with better "measureables"?

From his public persona, seems like a natural fit to head to coaching.

Very early, at Houston...limited by size, but he had some DUDE traits. Then he got to Miami...looked like a good college player that could still be a backup type of pro and before his injuries...I thought he could've been a nice backup...maybe a Seneca Wallace type that just sticks around for a while because he's a good teammate, quality person, smart guy and his brings something else to the table athletically that would be good for practicing certain weeks...like, say for prep week against the Cardinals.

But, the injuries basically broke him. Patriots tried him out everywhere and cut bait in short order. I'm not sure what that says, but thats gotta be tough.

To answer your question now...man, idk. No one outside of some in the NFL even know what kind of athlete he is anymore. I don't think the NFL is for him, and I don't see the cost benefit to playing in the XFL/USFL or any other offshoot league, especially with his recent injury history...but you never know...

I agree with you on the latter, but its his life. If he wants to exhaust every avenue to play...good luck. I thought he was an upstanding human being and I'm happy he was a Miami Hurricane and would like to see him be successful in whatever he wants to be successful in.

Ok, but does he know who is calling the offensive plays for the Pats this season tho?

Inquiring minds want to know.
We will see a potential selection in summer, with multiple candidates available.

Belichick has done it on defense and carries that out on offense.

Advertisement
This, and after he ran the 40 not sure he's fast enough for a WR spot. He would need to be an elite route runner and not sure he's got that in his repertoire.
He doesn't... And it's not a bad thing per say , it just is what it is considering the injuries he's dealt with... It's hard to overcome.. To King's credit he doesn't give up and is willing to go to whatever length he can to earn a spot for himself... Will he make a roster??? Doubtful but that's ok... He'll make plenty of connections and leave a great impression with everyone he comes in contact with... That will pay out tremendously down the line....

This board anytime a player graduates, gets injured, gets cut after they were great ambassadors and bled for the program.

Attachments

• E813605C-F705-4761-B01C-0B94078D2823.jpeg
    E813605C-F705-4761-B01C-0B94078D2823.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
Advertisement
King has a bunch of haters for some reason. Cane fans are ******* weird.
man you are soo right!!! the only things this kid did for the canes was to ball out to the best of his ability, show the highest character, bring and winning mentality to a team that was lacking it. i mean this kid was great to miami during a time period we had nothing and the projected starter was nkosi perry

i just dont get it!!!!

Advertisement
Maybe he's the next Kurt Warner.

Or maybe it's time to find a non-playing career.

Good luck to him either way. He's a real one.

Doug Flutie should be his inspiration for a path to the league.

Probably wouldn’t work, but he could be dangerous if learned to more patient and find the checkdown after climbing the pocket. He was too quick to run and it held him back.

I wish King nothing but the best. Kid came to the program when it was at a very low point. We a Dan Enos offense that had lost to FIU, Duke and La Tech. La Tech blanked us. They f-ing blanked us, lol ...

King came in and changed everything with Lashlee. He had a great year in 2020. He was electric at times before his injury. We beat FSU 52-10. We beat that Duke team 48-0. Guy belongs in the pantheon whether or not he lands with an NFL team.

My guess is he is still rehabbing. He may never be the same. But given his injury then re-injury, he needs more time. No pro team is giong to pay for an UFA to be on the IR list. He's got a really hard road ahead of him for 1 year. If he can truly rehab back to pre-injury form, he can participate in our pro day (and probably Houston's) in a year, and then will get his legit shot.

Either way, I would love to see him on staff or as a GA somewhere else. He has the perfect personality to be a great coach over time.

Advertisement
Back