King and Ragone Episode 4 ft. Mike Harley

At the end of the day….they’re all just kids. They are not professionals, and this isn’t the NFL.

Criticism is fine, to an extent, but there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed.
This generation gets the moniker of “soft” all the time and to an extent I understand that and agree. But same time we didn’t have to deal with a lot of these things as kids so I have no idea how I would have handled it.

I didn’t start using social media until later on when I had already realized the people that talk ****, its an indictment of themselves rather than their target. But still, you’re not born with that knowledge you have to learn it somehow.

Advertisement
IDk, I think two things are at play here when it comes to gen z and their obsession with sadness and depression as you put it. First off, many high-profile celebs and athletes are coming out and speaking about their struggles with depression and it lets these kids know that it's okay to talk about it and that they're not the only ones feeling this way. When I was in my youth if I came out and said these sort of things to a friend they would've called me a *****. Lastly, social media is playing a large role in this IMO. There has always been bullying, ridicule, and shaming but in this age of technology, kids can't escape it like they could in previous generations. If someone was being bullied it used to be you went home and was away from all that. Now they go home and it follows them there through Facebook, snap chat, Twitter, and Instagram. Sports is the same way, you make a bad play, and instead of going home after the game to your family and being away from the comments fans made at the game now you go home and get on your phone and you got grown-*** people tagging you calling you a loser and telling you to kill yourself.

I do think that some are just saying to be saying it and get attention but a lot of it is a product of the world we live in and unfortunately it isn't an easy world for our youth.
Well said.

It’s amazing it took hearing the words right from Harley to make some grown men realize ****ting all over a kid, especially one of our own, makes you a real POS.
Amen. And those of us that have defended the kids were bashed on here big time.

Advertisement
No I don't think it's brave. In 2021 nobody is studying people being *** or wearing dresses, at least in public. Who's making fun of them? Everyone would be fake outraged . Theyd run to Twitter to virtue signal how they stood up and protected the poor guy who got snickered at for wearing a dress.

That being said my standard for bravery is a tad higher than wearing a dress as a dude.

You really don't think it's brave? For real?

You don't think one coming out to family, friends, coworkers, or even new people they meet is brave. They don't worry about how those will react, family and friends they'll lose, and people who won't even give them a chance at friendship because they're *** or whatever?

Nah, you can't be that naive. What of Harley came out in a dress? Came out as ***? That stuff is more widely accepted now, but lockerooms still are on the straight kick. Plenty of people out there have issues with those things.

My step son is ***. Obviously ***. One day he may come home in a dress, decide he's going to be a woman, or who the **** knows. I don't understand it, but I accept it. He's had some professional help with things. School was horrible for him. Some positives, but plenty of homophobic rhetoric, etc. He went to go give plasma, the clinic asked if he was *** and has had *** in the last year. He was disqualified from giving plasma. He asked if he was straight if that question still applies, it does not.

No question its brave. Maybe you don't care, have a thing against it, or whatever. There's a lot of people out there who aren't very accepting of anything but straight.

I don't think this generation has any particular fascination with depression, etc. I think what's happened is that the younger generations, to their credit, have normalized discussing it. Literature, history, etc. is littered with countless people suffering from severe depression. Whether it was veterans, coal miners, postpartum depression, so on and so on. There wasn't much understanding of these issues in the past and many people had to deal privately which unfortunately resulted in stress, addictions, violence, and death.

That doesn't mean that there aren't people trying creative narratives for themselves for financial benefits and/or "clicks". But there's always pos people doing shady stuff for a profit.

People really need to listen to this. Mike Harley tells a very intimate story starting at around 22:00. Hope some of you can listen and reflect on how the things you say online and on Twitter can affect some of these kids.
:confused:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back