Kinda OT - The transfer portal is spooky

Advertisement
Yep! That’s y the grass is not always greener on the other side.

It’s unfortunate so many kids don’t realize that. Truth be told, there’s a lot of kids who shouldn’t be playing on that level either and instead counting their blessings and remaining on scholarship they jump in the portal with a false sense of reality only to never be heard of again on the fbs level. I knew kids to jump in the portal waiting for fbs offers and they never came. They were in the portal for over a year.

And of course, the NCAA will get blamed for this somehow. People will say there should be more regulations on jumping in the portal to protect these kids from their own bad decisions. That number of kids still hanging around in the portal is crazy. Common sense should tell these kids that unless they are elite level talents, make sure you have a guaranteed destination before you jump ship.

Well if your a ****** player and you go in the portal chances are noone Is gonna claim you when they can get a better player.so if you haven't put in hard work to get on the field or not as skilled as others and have any doubt you get picked up don't portal and you won't get stuck especially if your at a decent school where you can at least get a good degree.

Advertisement
Well if your a ****** player and you go in the portal chances are noone Is gonna claim you when they can get a better player.so if you haven't put in hard work to get on the field or not as skilled as others and have any doubt you get picked up don't portal and you won't get stuck especially if your at a decent school where you can at least get a good degree.
This right here. We only hear about the top names in the portal not the Kai herberts and mark popes.

That's some crazy & alarming numbers out there.

That also means that current HS seniors, looking for a football scholly, now have an additional 662 kids to compete with.

We live in some weird times.

Advertisement
The portal is one of the worst things to happen. As someone pointed out - some kids were misevaluate and shouldn't be playing at this level. These guys don't often make rational decisions a year into college and potentially torpedo their futures based on their unrealistic self perception.

And of course, the NCAA will get blamed for this somehow. People will say there should be more regulations on jumping in the portal to protect these kids from their own bad decisions. That number of kids still hanging around in the portal is crazy. Common sense should tell these kids that unless they are elite level talents, make sure you have a guaranteed destination before you jump ship.
Lot of these kids were THE MAN in HS and they just yearn for that recruiting process to be had again.....but that's not realistic. Hard work is the only way you get on the field, not because you were the cream of the crop in HS...lot of these kids don't necessarily "peak" in HS, they just don't want success bad enough to work hard for it....came natural to them in HS and they expect it to be the same way in college and once it isn't, they're ready to move on.....

That's how a high 4*/fringe 5* WR like Pope winds up at Jackson State (before committing to JSU became a thing). Pope's interview after he left the program was telling where he was quoted basically saying that it frustrated him that he would get pulled for dropping passes in games....in his mind REGARDLESS of how he performed, he was supposed to still play.

These kids better stop jumping in that portal and gut it out.

These kids need to re-evaluate and adjust to their current situation. It's tough. I hate to see them lose out on their education...

Thank u; I think we forget that aspect of things. Fact is, most scholarship players r not going to make the NFL. Only 224 players are drafted, w/ another handful making it via UDFA. That’s a very small % considering how many scholarship athletes there r.

Having a degree is another gateway to a career. I’m not sure when ppl started devaluing a free education worth 10’s of thousands, if not 6 figures at some schools, but here we r, & a lot of bad advice have ruined two different opportunities that’s been afforded. I wish I had a free education vs paying out of pocket & high interest (Thank God I was able to pay those bytches off though.)

The majority of kids enter the portal & get lost in that *****.

1,036 kids looking for a spot. If all 130 FBS schools absorbed these transfers, we would each give 8 spots to transfers. The NCAA approved 7 replacement ICs. And it's only January. We have no idea how many kids will jump into the Portal post-spring-practice.

Portalpocalypse...

Advertisement
Thank u; I think we forget that aspect of things. Fact is, most scholarship players r not going to make the NFL. Only 224 players are drafted, w/ another handful making it via UDFA. That’s a very small % considering how many scholarship athletes there r.

Having a degree is another gateway to a career. I’m not sure when ppl started devaluing a free education worth 10’s of thousands, if not 6 figures at some schools, but here we r, & a lot of bad advice have ruined two different opportunities that’s been afforded. I wish I had a free education vs paying out of pocket & high interest (Thank God I was able to pay those bytches off though.)
Great points......we should also have a survey of those who are in the portal who are on track to earn a degree at their former school, and jumped off the track to never earn a College degree, because of the portal.

Agreed for many, it is a last ditch effort to play football in College, but if not selected, how many go on and get a degree and step out in the real world?
Very few if any....it's a **** shame.......just curious....

I think the first rule they need to bring back (and I know I will get alot of pushback) is you have to sit out a year before playing. That will slow alot of this down some. Unless you apply for a waiver and its a plausible reason why you are transferring, you can go but you have to sit out. That is one way to make alot of these kids think twice before transferring. You better really not like where you are because you are wasting a year if you go.

Alot of these kids have the mindset that if they dont like a school..they can always transfer the next season somewhere else. Gotta get rid of that loophole.

Advertisement
Great points......we should also have a survey of those who are in the portal who are on track to earn a degree at their former school, and jumped off the track to never earn a College degree, because of the portal.

Agreed for many, it is a last ditch effort to play football in College, but if not selected, how many go on and get a degree and step out in the real world?
Very few if any....it's a **** shame.......just curious....

That’s y I thought there should’ve been set parameters. It’s not about restricting player movement, but there’s yield & stop signs designed, not to stop flow of traffic, but to keep all safe on the road. This wild Wild West chit in regards to the NIL & Portal is for the birds.

I think the first rule they need to bring back (and I know I will get alot of pushback) is you have to sit out a year before playing. That will slow alot of this down some. Unless you apply for a waiver and its a plausible reason why you are transferring, you can go but you have to sit out. That is one way to make alot of these kids think twice before transferring. You better really not like where you are because you are wasting a year if you go.

Alot of these kids have the mindset that if they dont like a school..they can always transfer the next season somewhere else. Gotta get rid of that loophole.
We are getting to the point that kids who commit out of High School are committing for one year. They know they can always jump in the portal if things don't go according to plan.

Advertisement
Back