Kinda OT - The transfer portal is spooky

That's some crazy & alarming numbers out there.

That also means that current HS seniors, looking for a football scholly, now have an additional 662 kids to compete with.

We live in some weird times.
This is the problem few want to discuss. Transfers opportunities are good for current college players but not for high school players who are bing locked out and slow played by college coaches.

Advertisement
Thank u; I think we forget that aspect of things. Fact is, most scholarship players r not going to make the NFL. Only 224 players are drafted, w/ another handful making it via UDFA. That’s a very small % considering how many scholarship athletes there r.

Having a degree is another gateway to a career. I’m not sure when ppl started devaluing a free education worth 10’s of thousands, if not 6 figures at some schools, but here we r, & a lot of bad advice have ruined two different opportunities that’s been afforded. I wish I had a free education vs paying out of pocket & high interest (Thank God I was able to pay those bytches off though.)
This! I don't understand it all.

hole deep GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

I don’t feel bad for anyone. Everyone wanted an even playing field and the old system to die. Everyone said it was unfair that coaches could leave and athletes couldn’t. Everyone wanted it and they got it. Life is a *****. Next
Maybe every athlete should have to get his or her degree too, if they’re given a scholarship. What’s done is done. Don’t be stupid and enter the portal, unless you have a plan and a home waiting for you. Fwiw I can say I’ve been more involved in the portal than probably anyone on this board. Good council changes everything. Have a plan and understand the value of timing your move. It’s plan, plan and plan some more. There’s zero room for error.

I agree. I’m fine with it. What we also see is how athletes can have overinflated egos and that plays a role in their decision to transfer. 99% of the time they just got beat out or they just need to wait their time. And let’s not talk about how some coaches offer kids in hopes of getting the players they really want. Just enjoy that scholarship and sit home. In the past we saw players enter the portal that wanted more playing time now hiesman hopefuls are in the portal.

Advertisement
Yeah, that was fa sho bull chit. Like, how u going to tell me I can’t go to an ACC school when that school may be in my best interest? Lol I’m glad that changed. However, I don’t care for this extreme, either.

In all circumstances, there can be a happy medium. Just like the NIL, there could be a happy medium where the kids get paid, and it’s not this “whoever has the biggest bag will get the recruits.” Now, there’s something that Cowherd said today that I agreed w; u can’t legislate parity. I’ve said many times, parity is a more of an idea vs. reality. Taxes happen to try create parity (at least here in CA), & the end results r still the rich become richer, and the poor, poorer. In CFB, they’ve tried to create the BCS to determine a true national champion (a disaster), they’ve created the CFP to replace it (same teams). The portal was supposed to help balance any inequities from recruiting misses (the top schools still get the best portal players, and the others get the rest).

My only concern w/ the portal right now is that alarming stat in the OP. Like u said, it’s up to the kids & parents to make level headed decisions, however, the portal needs to be tweaked & not presented as this “grand opportunity” that’s leaving a lot of kids homeless & hopeless. That’s on the NCAA.
Word I agree with most everything you said . They definitely gotta tweak it a little bit but to me a lot of this **** is common sense . If these kids have a half competent voice in their lives they’ll be alright . Like why the **** are you transferring because of problems you created or problems with your work ethic ? Going to a new school isn’t going to help that . I guess it’s easier for me to sit here and say that from the outside looking in though , I forget they’re still teenagers mostly and probably thinking nothing is actually their fault .

I’m not sure how involved coaches/administrators are now with the portal process but maybe schools could start incorporating something/someone who advises these kids who are on the fence . A lot of them just need someone to keep it 100 and not lie to them, but they also need to be smarter and think for themselves. I think it’ll work itself out eventually

Last edited:
That’s facts I agree with everything you said . I’m probably being too hard on some of these kids tho but honestly I’m just looking at it like “Play stupid games , win stupid prizes” . Some of this **** is just common sense and could be prevented if they had any competent voice to listen to . Like why are you transferring if you can’t even sniff the field where you at ? That sht just seems like . Or you’re transferring because of problems that YOU created .

Word I agree with most everything you said . They definitely gotta tweak it a little bit but to me a lot of this **** is common sense . If these kids have a half competent voice in their lives they’ll be alright . Like why the **** are you transferring because of problems you created or problems with your work ethic ? Going to a new school isn’t going to help that . I guess it’s easier for me to sit here and say that from the outside looking in though , I forget they’re still teenagers mostly and probably thinking nothing is actually their fault .

I’m not sure how involved coaches/administrators are now with the portal process but maybe schools could start incorporating something/someone who advises these kids who are on the fence . A lot of them just need someone to keep it 100 and not lie to them, but they also need to be smarter and think for themselves. I think it’ll work itself out eventually

Lol; aye u right bout the if u can’t see the field, y r u trying to transfer, joint. Lol. That’s all facts. Lol.

Advertisement
Man I’m saying tho ! Where are these dudes older brothers/ big homies at ? If my lil bro was thinking of making a bad move like that I’m going upside his head 😂

Facts! Lol. But man part of the problem is that no body is keeping it 100. Man, it was fashionable back in the day to call out ur mans or for moms to let u know to get yo chit together. U heard what Woodson said when he was trying to transfer to Miami when he was frustrated at Michigan; moms got on the phone & checked his ego.

Now? Ninjas be on IG live asking randos, “what should I do?” or just airing out their biz & ninjas be in the comments like “do u bro, get that bag.” Then parents be like “nah baby; it’s a privilege for them to have you…go somewhere they want u baby.” LMAO. Man fck that chit; but my issue is this portal has encouraged this behavior, too. If a kid gotta sit out for a minute, I promise u these mofos would stop & think. I dunno fam, some chit gotta be done to help mitigate this dumb chit; but u r right though, at the end of the day, it’s on these kids to stop thinking the next option is the best option when they got poor work ethics.

That’s facts I agree with everything you said . I’m probably being too hard on some of these kids tho but honestly I’m just looking at it like “Play stupid games , win stupid prizes” . Some of this **** is just common sense and could be prevented if they had any competent voice to listen to . Like why are you transferring if you can’t even sniff the field where you at ? That sht just seems like . Or you’re transferring because of problems that YOU created .

Amen cant blame the system for this
this is on the player and the player only
the ones I feel bad for are the borderline players that get pushed into the portal due to needing numbers
they shouldn’t have been given a spot to begin with
cant blame the player on that
but for everything else its on the player

Advertisement
Former Miami players still in Portal:
Nesta since 1/7
Kai-Leon Herbert since 9/21
Payton since 9/24
Holley since 7/21

Former Miami Players who transferred last season and their destinations:
Gaynor to UNC
Hall to Utah State
Pope to Deion Sanders 7x7 camp
Jennings to Indiana
Wiggins to Louisville

I'm a little surprised no one FCS team picked up Herbert, Payton and Holley. If a guy like Tommy Kennedy can be all-league at Butler, then surely there's a home for these boys.
Those three are jags that's why no one picked them up...

Bama had seven enter the portal today sheeeeeeeeeeesh

Facts! Lol. But man part of the problem is that no body is keeping it 100. Man, it was fashionable back in the day to call out ur mans or for moms to let u know to get yo chit together. U heard what Woodson said when he was trying to transfer to Miami when he was frustrated at Michigan; moms got on the phone & checked his ego.

Now? Ninjas be on IG live asking randos, “what should I do?” or just airing out their biz & ninjas be in the comments like “do u bro, get that bag.” Then parents be like “nah baby; it’s a privilege for them to have you…go somewhere they want u baby.” LMAO. Man fck that chit; but my issue is this portal has encouraged this behavior, too. If a kid gotta sit out for a minute, I promise u these mofos would stop & think. I dunno fam, some chit gotta be done to help mitigate this dumb chit; but u r right though, at the end of the day, it’s on these kids to stop thinking the next option is the best option when they got poor work ethics.
That’s a good point , not having to sit out a year has really set this sht off . I’d bet **** near half these players would stop and think twice if that was the case . I don’t even remember when that changed ; I know originally you needed a waiver or if a coach left or something like that you was good , now it seems like no matter the situation you can play right away

I do feel bad for the high school kids tho I didn’t even think about that aspect of it

Amen cant blame the system for this
this is on the player and the player only
the ones I feel bad for are the borderline players that get pushed into the portal due to needing numbers
they shouldn’t have been given a spot to begin with
cant blame the player on that
but for everything else its on the player
Yep . It’s not like they’re being forced to enter the portal

Advertisement
Thank u; I think we forget that aspect of things. Fact is, most scholarship players r not going to make the NFL. Only 224 players are drafted, w/ another handful making it via UDFA. That’s a very small % considering how many scholarship athletes there r.

Having a degree is another gateway to a career. I’m not sure when ppl started devaluing a free education worth 10’s of thousands, if not 6 figures at some schools, but here we r, & a lot of bad advice have ruined two different opportunities that’s been afforded. I wish I had a free education vs paying out of pocket & high interest (Thank God I was able to pay those bytches off though.)
People also seem to discount the plethora of football-related positions that are not "player:" coaching, nutrition, medicine, psychology, equipment, scouting, film, marketing, announcing.

Plenty of guys do know this, and are smartly using their scholarship as a springboard into a non-playing, but still football, career.

People also seem to discount the plethora of football-related positions that are not "player:" coaching, nutrition, medicine, psychology, equipment, scouting, film, marketing, announcing.

Plenty of guys do know this, and are smartly using their scholarship as a springboard into a non-playing, but still football, career.

Bingo!

Advertisement
Back