Kinda OT - The transfer portal is spooky

Lol @ people blaming the portal for kids making terrible decisions. What we’re seeing now is an unfortunate side effect of a new rule. As time goes on and stories about guys never finding a home become more regular, you’ll see less players leaving for greener pastures. Unfortunately, a lot of these kids have been told they’re the greatest thing that ever happened their whole lives by everyone they know and when they get to college, they find out that’s not really the case. I’d say a lot of the kids who enter the portal think it’s going to be like “reopening their recruiting” where they’re going to get a ton of attention from other coaches and schools. For a lot of them, that’s not the case. They’ll learn eventually.

Advertisement
Former Miami players still in Portal:
Nesta since 1/7
Kai-Leon Herbert since 9/21
Payton since 9/24
Holley since 7/21

Former Miami Players who transferred last season and their destinations:
Gaynor to UNC
Hall to Utah State
Pope to Deion Sanders 7x7 camp
Jennings to Indiana
Wiggins to Louisville

I'm a little surprised no one FCS team picked up Herbert, Payton and Holley. If a guy like Tommy Kennedy can be all-league at Butler, then surely there's a home for these boys.
Herbert and Holley need to go HBCU route. They are not P5 level players. Hopefully they are not holding out for that. They will be waiting awhile.

I had no idea Gaynor went to UNC. Interesting.

Hall will do well at Utah State. Different scenery, under his old coach, and very little exposure so he can play loose out there.

I think the first rule they need to bring back (and I know I will get alot of pushback) is you have to sit out a year before playing. That will slow alot of this down some. Unless you apply for a waiver and its a plausible reason why you are transferring, you can go but you have to sit out. That is one way to make alot of these kids think twice before transferring. You better really not like where you are because you are wasting a year if you go.

Alot of these kids have the mindset that if they dont like a school..they can always transfer the next season somewhere else. Gotta get rid of that loophole.
well the only way they can reinstitute that is if coaches have to sit out a year before taking a new job as well. till then its not fair to penalize kids for outside circumstances beyond their control (if a coach leaves the kids don't go with him nd the new coach may tell the kid to seek PT elsewhere bc it wont be here).

Former Miami players still in Portal:
Nesta since 1/7
Kai-Leon Herbert since 9/21
Payton since 9/24
Holley since 7/21

Former Miami Players who transferred last season and their destinations:
Gaynor to UNC
Hall to Utah State
Pope to Deion Sanders 7x7 camp
Jennings to Indiana
Wiggins to Louisville

I'm a little surprised no one FCS team picked up Herbert, Payton and Holley. If a guy like Tommy Kennedy can be all-league at Butler, then surely there's a home for these boys.

Holley is currently at Charlotte

Advertisement
18-21 year olds not making good life choices?

Who would have thought?????
Dc Comics Whatever GIF by HBO Max

18-21 year olds not making good life choices?

Who would have thought?????
Dc Comics Whatever GIF by HBO Max
Word but for fVck sake, we have adults making these policies…shouldn’t there be an advisement caveat via the NCAA? Transfer protocol step 1, guidance for these YOUNG *** KIDS!

Advertisement

99.5% of the players left are JAGs this was there reality check most of their college football careers are probably over but life teaches hard lessons …good thing is that the portal won’t be so trendy going forward, players coming behind this group will think twice before jumping ship thinking the grass is greener when it’s not.

99.5% of the players left are JAGs this was there reality check most of their college football careers are probably over but life teaches hard lessons …good thing is that the portal won’t be so trendy going forward, players coming behind this group will think twice before jumping ship thinking the grass is greener when it’s not.
More or less. But I still think most won't think properly.

Not to sound like an old man here but no matter how much counsel these younger generations get they still seem to be selfish and think short term instead of big picture. Having a big ego, not wanting to sacrifice for the team, and social media does not help at all.

Advertisement
Back