Kinda OT - The transfer portal is spooky

The NCAA gave kids at the age where they still have the need for immediate gratification the ability to leave with no penalty. I'm not against the portal but not surprised by this either.

Advertisement
I have been thinking a lot about this issue, and it has led me to come up with the ridiculous hypothetical of how I would approach entering the portal if I were a JAG D1 football player at a random P5 school (lets go with TCU for purposes of this experiment), and not actually a 5'10 thirty-year-old who ran a 4'7 forty-yard dash at his absolute peak in HS.

Lets also assume that like the Mark Pope's and the Robert Burns' that have come before me, in all likelihood I know at the time of transfer at I am not going to play in the NFL following college.

First, it would all be about timing. If you were not on a team going to a bowl game, hit the portal about halfway through the season. Gives you plenty of time to get a head start on scouting your options. If you are likely going to a non-playoff bowl game, then the question turns to will you get decent PT in that bowl game. If no, still transfer halfway through the season. If yes, maybe wait till after the bowl to hit the portal after getting the fun experience of playing in the bowl. If you are likely going to the playoff, ride that out because most people don't get that experience and a ring is a ring if you get the chip.

Second, once you hit the portal you send all of your HS and whatever college tape (game and practice) immediately to all the coaches of the worst G5 teams and the G5 teams that round out the last 25 or so spots in that year's recruiting rankings. I'm talking Akron, Umass, Texas State, Rice, Uconn, Southern Miss, NM State, and UTEP (though props to them on their year this year). This sets up your (hopefully) safety schools while they still have ample room to take you. I've never understood why kids would rather transfer to sit the bench at Rutgers when they probably could have gone to play at Akron.

Third, gauge what type of schools reach out to you. Maybe you get lucky and end up at Vandy, Kansas, or Arizona. But only go to places like those if there is a clear path to ample playing time. I feel like this is where most portal entrants start, and that is a problem. Very few coaches have been paying attention to you over the last 2-3 years and most don't care as much of what you did in high school. Plus, the odds of you going to play for another school that recruited you in high school is unlikely anyway (although sometimes kids get scooped up this way).

In the end, I (hypothetically) always end up at either Akron, Umass, or Rice. They just seem like the safe harbor home for D1 castoffs. You get to play some football and get a degree. Bonus points if these kids choose Rice over any of the above options because they will be likely to get PAID after graduation. More kids should go there if they can.

If all else fails, try and get that spot on the FCS or D2 school that is closest to your home so your parents can watch you play. That has value too.

How heavy dem bags $$$ when dey only for 1 year ? Might as well pay in da open at this point … oh yeah, NIL !!!!

We Byck !!!

[]_[]

I don’t feel bad for anyone. Everyone wanted an even playing field and the old system to die. Everyone said it was unfair that coaches could leave and athletes couldn’t. Everyone wanted it and they got it. Life is a *****. Next
Maybe every athlete should have to get his or her degree too, if they’re given a scholarship. What’s done is done. Don’t be stupid and enter the portal, unless you have a plan and a home waiting for you. Fwiw I can say I’ve been more involved in the portal than probably anyone on this board. Good council changes everything. Have a plan and understand the value of timing your move. It’s plan, plan and plan some more. There’s zero room for error.

Last edited:
Yes, the portal is a brave new world and has/will change college football for good.

But this is all about the extra year of covid eligibility. There are now five years worth of players completing for the same number of spots that used to be four year's worth.

There is a glut of players and the portal is where the overflow is taking place.

It will be like a viscous game of musical chairs. When the music stops, there will be a lot of kids left without a seat.

Advertisement
It’s on the players or their parents to make sure they making level headed decisions 🤷🏾‍♂️ I’d rather they have the freedom to choose vs how it was before when coaches were allowed to basically dictate if and where players could transfer

Poor counsel. Nobody respects or appreciates an opportunity.
It’s easy on that side. No disrespect intended, but these kids get lied to from jump. There’s a difference between an opportunity and accepting a scholarship on false pretenses. It’s always been one sided. It’s not anymore. I’m sure you’ve counted on others to help you make a decision. Sometimes kids do the same.

Advertisement
It’s easy on that side. No disrespect intended, but these kids get lied to from jump. There’s a difference between an opportunity and accepting a scholarship on false pretenses. It’s always been one sided. It’s not anymore. I’m sure you’ve counted on others to help you make a decision. Sometimes kids do the same.
oh it goes both ways.

Former Miami players still in Portal:
Nesta since 1/7
Kai-Leon Herbert since 9/21
Payton since 9/24
Holley since 7/21

Former Miami Players who transferred last season and their destinations:
Gaynor to UNC
Hall to Utah State
Pope to Deion Sanders 7x7 camp
Jennings to Indiana
Wiggins to Louisville

I'm a little surprised no one FCS team picked up Herbert, Payton and Holley. If a guy like Tommy Kennedy can be all-league at Butler, then surely there's a home for these boys.

You have to know your worth. No doubt some of these players are going to lose a scholarship in the process potentially costing them tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe that’s what the transfer portal needs, a reality check.

This process will ultimately benefit the university, these kids have been duped again.

Advertisement
They think they go to the portal that they are good enough (alot of them) that someone will scoop them.....sometimes teams rather not and roll with the recruited kids. Unless they completely fuq up recruiting then u dip in...or if there is a stud like that GT RB u go all out no mater what even if it's not a need.

Advertisement
Former Miami players still in Portal:
Nesta since 1/7
Kai-Leon Herbert since 9/21
Payton since 9/24
Holley since 7/21

Former Miami Players who transferred last season and their destinations:
Gaynor to UNC
Hall to Utah State
Pope to Deion Sanders 7x7 camp
Jennings to Indiana
Wiggins to Louisville

I'm a little surprised no one FCS team picked up Herbert, Payton and Holley. If a guy like Tommy Kennedy can be all-league at Butler, then surely there's a home for these boys.
Payton is playing with Jarren Williams

In NIL era scholarships could become brutally at-will.

Not performing, cut in middle of season to make room for perhaps a limbo portal player.

Ooh, ahh, that's how it always starts...

but later there is running and screaming.

It’s on the players or their parents to make sure they making level headed decisions 🤷🏾‍♂️ I’d rather they have the freedom to choose vs how it was before when coaches were allowed to basically dictate if and where players could transfer

Yeah, that was fa sho bull chit. Like, how u going to tell me I can’t go to an ACC school when that school may be in my best interest? Lol I’m glad that changed. However, I don’t care for this extreme, either.

In all circumstances, there can be a happy medium. Just like the NIL, there could be a happy medium where the kids get paid, and it’s not this “whoever has the biggest bag will get the recruits.” Now, there’s something that Cowherd said today that I agreed w; u can’t legislate parity. I’ve said many times, parity is a more of an idea vs. reality. Taxes happen to try create parity (at least here in CA), & the end results r still the rich become richer, and the poor, poorer. In CFB, they’ve tried to create the BCS to determine a true national champion (a disaster), they’ve created the CFP to replace it (same teams). The portal was supposed to help balance any inequities from recruiting misses (the top schools still get the best portal players, and the others get the rest).

My only concern w/ the portal right now is that alarming stat in the OP. Like u said, it’s up to the kids & parents to make level headed decisions, however, the portal needs to be tweaked & not presented as this “grand opportunity” that’s leaving a lot of kids homeless & hopeless. That’s on the NCAA.

Advertisement
Back