kids wanting to leave Miami

Advertisement
Win and plenty of kids will stay and come from across America. We just can’t freaking win. It’s the ongoing Curse of Terry Porter

TBH, there are multiple things that determine whether a player stays in SoFL or goes elsewhere. But, with the right coaches and more W's, plenty of kids will stay home and play for The U.

We discuss this so freaking much in my household. I have a son who is a great baseball player and has great grades. My wife and I are both from down there and have lived in Dade together for a short period of time. We were robbed 3 times and she had a gun pulled on her in a drive through.
Take the horrible crime of that city away and look at how many kids get in trouble in Miami. There’s a ton of ways to get in a lot of trouble there just like I did as a kid. Plus you lose the small town protection you get in the south.
Now that the academic rating of UM is less than that of FSU and the tuition reciprocity we have with other states the only current draw is class size.

We now live away from SFL and have zero interest in going back unless we pass through going to the Keys

This is from a lifelong Miami fan who grew up in Dade and has a kid who will most likely play baseball at a D-1 school.

I have lived in Miami 60 years.

I have never had a gun, knife or spoon pulled on me nor anyone I know.

Of course, I can read the newspapers and crime stats, but it clearly is no place that I nor my others (we range from below to barely above middle class) we have been--- much of it in Little Havana.

I'm in no way calling you out nor doubting your story (I'm sincere), but can you tell me where you lived, and if you were the target for any reason? Same for the work you both did, and if that made either of you a target?

I'm just trying to reconcile 60 years of experience with thousands of people I know (hundreds very well from this area), and your experiences as stated in your post.

Dude for real. Gainesville might be the most racist part of the world I’ve seen. I have family there and I went to school in that area. I was always shocked when inner city kids chose to go to school there. But now I live in the panhandle of Florida 1 hour from Alabama and work in Louisiana. I grew up thinking that was backwoods country **** but honestly with the oil industry in Louisiana and the military influence in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida it’s a nice mix of races. These kids are handed life on a silver platter once they get to these schools. It’s a very safe family atmosphere. Not a huge fan of Baton Rouge but it’s safer than south Florida

Advertisement
... But now I live in the panhandle of Florida 1 hour from Alabama and work in Louisiana. I grew up thinking that was backwoods country **** but honestly with the oil industry in Louisiana and the military influence in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida it’s a nice mix of races. These kids are handed life on a silver platter once they get to these schools. It’s a very safe family atmosphere. Not a huge fan of Baton Rouge but it’s safer than south Florida

Your statement is your personal assessment, so you're entitled to "Your Truth"... but, your assessment is greatly at odds with this article which places FSU #25 and LSU as #9 in most dangerous colleges.

It should be noted UM is NOT in the top 25 (on the field, nor) on this ranking.

We discuss this so freaking much in my household. I have a son who is a great baseball player and has great grades. My wife and I are both from down there and have lived in Dade together for a short period of time. We were robbed 3 times and she had a gun pulled on her in a drive through.
Take the horrible crime of that city away and look at how many kids get in trouble in Miami. There’s a ton of ways to get in a lot of trouble there just like I did as a kid. Plus you lose the small town protection you get in the south.
Now that the academic rating of UM is less than that of FSU and the tuition reciprocity we have with other states the only current draw is class size.

We now live away from SFL and have zero interest in going back unless we pass through going to the Keys

This is from a lifelong Miami fan who grew up in Dade and has a kid who will most likely play baseball at a D-1 school.

Robbed three times and had a gun pulled?

Who are you, Brian Hightower?

Robbed three times and had a gun pulled?

Who are you, Brian Hightower?
i have lived here like 25 years and have never been robbed. car broken into once and car stolen once over the same time frame. i feel safe down here. a kid just got shot and killed in riviera beach at a funeral. you go into the bad neighborhoods in any state you take a risk. that's just the way it is.

This might be interesting to some, a while back my cousin played for VTech, a friend of his played for Central and he was being recruited by Miami. They loved the University but his mom just didn’t want him to be in Miami (the city) yeah I know the university is not actually in Miami but close enough. It was interesting to me that the mom didn’t want her kid in the city of Miami, I was wondering how man other parents felt this way.

Advertisement
i have lived here like 25 years and have never been robbed. car broken into once and car stolen once over the same time frame. i feel safe down here. a kid just got shot and killed in riviera beach at a funeral. you go into the bad neighborhoods in any state you take a risk.

I grew up in Hialeah and was college aged and in the clubs during the 80’s. Never had my home robbed, car stolen or seen a gun pulled anywhere.

Sorry, OPs claim strains credibility.

This might be interesting to some, a while back my cousin played for VTech, a friend of his played for Central and he was being recruited by Miami. They loved the University but his mom just didn’t want him to be in Miami (the city) yeah I know the university is not actually in Miami but close enough. It was interesting to me that the mom didn’t want her kid in the city of Miami, I was wondering how man other parents felt this way.

A lot of parents feel this way

Miami is mostly a war zone but Coral Gables is a Utopian paradise. Parents must learn this.

Advertisement

Of course, I can read the newspapers and crime stats, but it clearly is no place that I nor my others (we range from below to barely above middle class) we have been--- much of it in Little Havana.

I'm in no way calling you out nor doubting your story (I'm sincere), but can you tell me where you lived, and if you were the target for any reason? Same for the work you both did, and if that made either of you a target?

I'm just trying to reconcile 60 years of experience with thousands of people I know (hundreds very well from this area), and your experiences as stated in your post.

It’s all good. Kinda hard to believe for people that live where I do now. I show the guys on my ship the pictures from time to time. I can go into so many other stores but if these seem to be far fetched you’ll never believe the others. As far as being targeted yes I had a hunting club sticker on my truck. Anyone with hunting club/NRA/police stickers were targeted for guns. The neighborhood I was in at the time was a middle class neighborhood which was a upper middle class neighborhood when I was growing up. Like most of Homestead it degraded. The house was broken into 3 times in 2 weeks. They got guns, my comforter (long guns) and the kitchen trash can (hand guns). The rest of our valuables were organized in the garage. I called all my buddies the first night to bring their trucks to load up my expensive stuff and haul it to my uncles off old cutler. We vacated the property until an alarm system with cameras was installed. During those few weeks the house was broken into 2 more times. We never moved back in.
As far as the gun being pulled on my wife it happened at the McDonald’s on US1 near 304th because one car blocked my wife and allowed 3 other cars full of we assume their friends jump in front. She honked and a guy put the gun out of a window.
My family owned a few businesses in Homestead and we’ve had plenty of break ins and my grandmother was robbed and beaten at her practice. They were looking for cash... At a place that gets paid via insurance...
I grew up in the Redlands and we were at the end of the paved roads. More than once stolen cars were abandoned near our property. One was set on fire and there was bodies but that was during the cocaine years. In the 80’s my parents got a flat in Goulds and were held at gun point and robbed.
Moved to Davie but so did half of Miami after Andrew and the crime started going up there. Moved to Palm Beach County and People migrated there. Moved to Hobe Sound and loved it but I got offered a ridiculous amount of money for my house and got sick of flying to work and jumped the migration to Destin, FL where I live today and haven’t had to lock my door since. This crap doesn’t happen in towns in the south (minus a few exceptions) at the frequency it does in South Florida. You don’t really notice it until you leave.

Advertisement
Im sorry for your experience.

I will say, only regarding the prominent trauma incidents, is that homestead is not Miami...especially not even close to Coral Gables.

Either way, I'm sorry for your experiences.

Im sorry for your experience.

I will say, only regarding the prominent trauma incidents, is that homestead is not Miami...especially not even close to Coral Gables.

Either way, I'm sorry for your experiences.

This is true and if you pull up the current crime map it’s a 5 mile stretch of what seems to be a safe place to live. This is what I have said in the past to my wife. Her response was how often did I venture outside 5-10 miles from campus in college? Do you remember that road from the UM dorms to the Tavern? We spent time on campus as college kids with friends that went to school there. Anyway my son keeps pushing for Miami but mamma’s boss and my area tends to send kids to places like Auburn, Miss St, and LSU which is a no for the same reasons. Auburn is very nice and as long as he graduates with his AA accepts Florida kids at in state tuition prices. These are the type of things I hear from parents of kids at showcase tournaments too. It just seems to be a hard no.

Miami is mostly a war zone but Coral Gables is a Utopian paradise. Parents must learn this.

No its not. Its an endless cycle of revenge amongst blocks within small area's scattered around the city. You could see most of the city without even driving pass the violent parts.

Like my post above states, its all about where you live and where you decide to go in Miami. I was like...12 maybe? When I was at a summer bible camp for kids hosted by my church in Opa Locka. About 9 kids and a chaperone outside playing in front of the church in a circle, dudes came up and held the chaperone at gun point for his chain.

Advertisement
Back