kids wanting to leave Miami

Advertisement
Don’t think it has much to do with anything. Trouble can find someone anywhere, just the way life is. If anything these kids are exposed too early and far too often to Miamis campus/facilities and becomes stale because they have seen it so many times. But when they go to these other schools it looks like a true new environment because they haven’t been there as much

How’s the stain from Pedophile State U doing for their recruiting. Kids are just really dumb these days and usually follow a handlers advice on where they should go. We ain’t paying so we ain’t playing.

Don’t think it has much to do with anything. Trouble can find someone anywhere, just the way life is. If anything these kids are exposed too early and far too often to Miamis campus/facilities and becomes stale because they have seen it so many times. But when they go to these other schools it looks like a true new environment because they haven’t been there as much

I understand the stuff about not being good for 15 years and the offense being trash but it seems like a lot of S. Flo kids have this idea of I want to leave s.flo and I hear it every year over and over again that idea is being planted to them by other schools telling them about this area and this schools past

This is hard for me to bring up but I was thinking about kids saying they want to leave home and see other places or whatever the excuse is, but I think this is a good discussion. I think there's a stain on this program and other schools are definitely using it to negative recruit. Its really sad but I think the murders of some canes are being painted as the Schools fault and other schools are using these killings as an "advantage"

I hope I'm wrong on this tho and hopefully the University is doing a good job showing how safe it really is

What Canes where recently murdered in the last 15yrs please provide names?

Go Canes

Advertisement
This is hard for me to bring up but I was thinking about kids saying they want to leave home and see other places or whatever the excuse is, but I think this is a good discussion. I think there's a stain on this program and other schools are definitely using it to negative recruit. Its really sad but I think the murders of some canes are being painted as the Schools fault and other schools are using these killings as an "advantage"

I hope I'm wrong on this tho and hopefully the University is doing a good job showing how safe it really is
Nah it’s the 6-7 & 7-6 seasons. Outside of 2017, we only won 9 games like 4 times since 2013.

A lot of times, people just want something different than what they've known all their lives.

A big college campus, with all the bells, whistles, and a town that is 100 percent pro the school is like paradise to a lot of kids.

Like someone mentioned, these kids are exposed to it far earlier with the 7 on 7 circuit as well as a proliferation of camps.

Don't get me wrong, we have a nice campus, but it's on the smaller side. We also don't have a student body that is all about our athletics as its very cosmopolitan and made up of people from all over that aren't lifelong fans. These big state schools, you gave generations of being a fan.

Winning would certainly help. The city aspect is overplayed IMHO. I don't want a recruit who picked us because of SOBE or whatever. That's the wrong mindset IMHO. Nevermind the fact they'll be minnows in a big pond there.

Advertisement
Win and they will stay. Example: 2018 class after our 10 win, coastal champ 2017 season and kicking the catholics *** on national prime time tv after game day.

I prefer fox’s saturday college pre game show

772189F1-9589-4B1B-83F9-E5F4AACDBBD0.jpeg

Kids just want to win. That’s why they transfer schools so much. If we win, they stay (of course we will still lose some).

The flip side is there are a lot of country bumpkins that would love to get out of the sticks and come to Miami. Manny and staff need to do a better job recruiting these kids, like we once did.
They want the bags too.

Advertisement
We discuss this so freaking much in my household. I have a son who is a great baseball player and has great grades. My wife and I are both from down there and have lived in Dade together for a short period of time. We were robbed 3 times and she had a gun pulled on her in a drive through.
Take the horrible crime of that city away and look at how many kids get in trouble in Miami. There’s a ton of ways to get in a lot of trouble there just like I did as a kid. Plus you lose the small town protection you get in the south.
Now that the academic rating of UM is less than that of FSU and the tuition reciprocity we have with other states the only current draw is class size.

We now live away from SFL and have zero interest in going back unless we pass through going to the Keys

This is from a lifelong Miami fan who grew up in Dade and has a kid who will most likely play baseball at a D-1 school.

The flip side is there are a lot of country bumpkins that would love to get out of the sticks and come to Miami. Manny and staff need to do a better job recruiting these kids, like we once did.
I'm skeptical about that. Even during our best years, I noticed that we had trouble recruiting the deep South and North Florida. When Panhandle talent was more elite (late '80's) kids would rather go to Auburn, etc., than UM. I couldn't understand why southern Black kids wouldn't want to escape old South and go to Miami.

In the late '80's JJ started to expand the recruiting horizon away from Dade somewhat because so many kids were academic carwrecks. You think Dade is the be-all, end-all but south Florida schools, especially Dade, were a disaster.

I don't know if it"s as bad now. We rarely hear about kids we want but can't take because if test score and/or grades.

Advertisement
We discuss this so freaking much in my household. I have a son who is a great baseball player and has great grades. My wife and I are both from down there and have lived in Dade together for a short period of time. We were robbed 3 times and she had a gun pulled on her in a drive through.
Take the horrible crime of that city away and look at how many kids get in trouble in Miami. There’s a ton of ways to get in a lot of trouble there just like I did as a kid. Plus you lose the small town protection you get in the south.
Now that the academic rating of UM is less than that of FSU and the tuition reciprocity we have with other states the only current draw is class size.

We now live away from SFL and have zero interest in going back unless we pass through going to the Keys

This is from a lifelong Miami fan who grew up in Dade and has a kid who will most likely play baseball at a D-1 school.
Comparative academic ratings probably mean less to a lot of recruits than you think. A huge advantage FSU had for years was the availability of easy majors. UM had abolished physical education major years ago. FSU had that major I believe and a criminology major that dumber kids could go to and it sounds better than P.E.

UM couldn't promise less-than-challenging academic demands the way the state schools could.

When you consider overall rankings (usually) a USNews and World Report thing, it doesn't say much about the quality of educational experience for an individual undergraduate student.

BTW, I didn't go to UM so I would have no dog in this fight.

Unfortunately it happens , if you from a big city like Miami, some kids just move away to stay away from trouble and distractions, some kids never been out of the state or even the city because they grew up a little more rough then others and finally get too see the world because of college visits , and I know this is rare and the university deserves credit but some kids move away to avoid tragedies , like Brian pata and Sean t a lot people where you from hate too see you doing good, moving away is some times beneficial, for example I think Sam Bruce would of had a different outcome if he moved away.

I'm skeptical about that. Even during our best years, I noticed that we had trouble recruiting the deep South and North Florida. When Panhandle talent was more elite (late '80's) kids would rather go to Auburn, etc., than UM. I couldn't understand why southern Black kids wouldn't want to escape old South and go to Miami.

Dude for real. Gainesville might be the most racist part of the world I’ve seen. I have family there and I went to school in that area. I was always shocked when inner city kids chose to go to school there. But now I live in the panhandle of Florida 1 hour from Alabama and work in Louisiana. I grew up thinking that was backwoods country **** but honestly with the oil industry in Louisiana and the military influence in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida it’s a nice mix of races. These kids are handed life on a silver platter once they get to these schools. It’s a very safe family atmosphere. Not a huge fan of Baton Rouge but it’s safer than south Florida

Comparative academic ratings probably mean less to a lot of recruits than you think. A huge advantage FSU had for years was the availability of easy majors. UM had abolished physical education major years ago. FSU had that major I believe and a criminology major that dumber kids could go to and it sounds better than P.E.

UM couldn't promise less-than-challenging academic demands the way the state schools could.

When you consider overall rankings (usually) a USNews and World Report thing, it doesn't say much about the quality of educational experience for an individual undergraduate student.

BTW, I didn't go to UM so I would have no dog in this fight.
I saw that in the poll data but didn’t look into it. It was a mix of things to do and academics

Advertisement
Back