Kevin Steele to Tennessee

247 kept saying that he had his eye on the Tenn job. it makes sense considering everything. never fault a dude for getting the HC job esp at his alma mater. thats an upgrade over being an assistant coach elsewhere

Not an upgrade when you all but guaranteed to get fired within 3 years. Steele isn't going to be viewed as a hero that guided Tennessee through sanctions if they win 10 games over a 3 year span. He's going to get fired from what sounds like is his dream job as soon as they are in the clear again. It's a smarter move to stick with being a DC at a big P5 while someone else takes a bullet for the team, then throw his name in the ring when they are looking for candidates in 3 years. At the very least, go to a G5 somewhere to be a HC so he can prove he still has HC coaching chops.

Advertisement
Not an upgrade when you all but guaranteed to get fired within 3 years. Steele isn't going to be viewed as a hero that guided Tennessee through sanctions if they win 10 games over a 3 year span. He's going to get fired from what sounds like is his dream job as soon as they are in the clear again. It's a smarter move to stick with being a DC at a big P5 while someone else takes a bullet for the team, then throw his name in the ring when they are looking for candidates in 3 years. At the very least, go to a G5 somewhere to be a HC so he can prove he still has HC coaching chops.

look I agree on that, but hes that much closer to getting his dream job. the rest is up to him and his results. he may never ever get this shot again to be the HC there if he turns it away. also, if hes getting the HC job even in interim w a chance to prove himself at his dream job, why should he say no to go work his way up in the g5 when he got the job he wanted all along? you wouldn't turn down a huge promotion to work your way up in your field

They’re a powerhouse. Most well coached team in the state in their classification and maybe even any classification. Right there with Maryville IMO.

They’ve got a **** of a structure with Ryan Witten getting the middle school kids and Shawn in HS. Ryan could be a top notch HS head coach himself. They get taught well at 13 and get the continuity through 18.
They do a helluva job considering it’s a small town/county.

you wouldn't turn down a huge promotion to work your way up in your field

I wouldn't turn down an excellent job with a nice paycheck at a rock solid company for a raise and a big promotion at a company that is going to be declaring bankruptcy soon.

Advertisement
Forgot about that. But, I thought that’s how they pushed Fuller out for Kiffin. So it would seem that’s the Vol way.
not sure Fat Phil's record was sliding in the wrong direction and his recruiting was also going in wrong direction as well.
Fat Phil is all about Fat Phil and he has to throw Priutt under the bus to save his -ss he will

Advertisement
Steele has a 2 year deal, at $450K per year.

And he’ll absolutely get the interim tag if they get rid of Pruitt.

Advertisement
So he wants to be Captain of the Titanic after it has hit the iceberg. Steele apparently thinks he's going to viewed as a hero for guiding Tennessee to 3 consecutive 4 win seasons after sanctions. Yeah I have a feeling Tennessee fans aren't going to be that grateful.

Advertisement
So he wants to be Captain of the Titanic after it has hit the iceberg. Steele apparently thinks he's going to viewed as a hero for guiding Tennessee to 3 consecutive 4 win seasons after sanctions. Yeah I have a feeling Tennessee fans aren't going to be that grateful.
Guess it’s an ego thing to always say he was a HC of an SEC school

just you know forget all of the other things like record... sanctions... dark clouds...

He’s fired for getting caught.
What I heard locally is “he thought he could run us like Bama.”

Pruitt tried to get a major guy in compliance fired. That’s what kicked off the Chancellor getting involved and ultimately Glazer investigating.

Also: there is no school in the history of college football who will get away with more than Nick Saban’s Alabama. Pruitt just tried to do what Saban does, he just 1) isn’t a sixth as competent and 2) isn’t inside the protected CFB city-state of Birmingham, Alabama.

What I heard locally is “he thought he could run us like Bama.”

Pruitt tried to get a major guy in compliance fired. That’s what kicked off the Chancellor getting involved and ultimately Glazer investigating.

Also: there is no school in the history of college football who will get away with more than Nick Saban’s Alabama. Pruitt just tried to do what Saban does, he just 1) isn’t a sixth as competent and 2) isn’t inside the protected CFB city-state of Birmingham, Alabama.
On top of all that, he isn't Nick effin Saban. Saban didn't just luck into his situation. He's built the thing. His power today > his power when he got there. And yeah, Alabama is different than Tennessee.

Advertisement
Back