Confirmed Kevin Steele GONE to Bama

I have nothing against them but like I said earlier, I haven’t just up and left from places without something better in front of it and I had legitimate and good reasons to leave. This is a permanent stop and they treat me very well at LifeWallet. People only see things from the outside, not what goes on internally.

This was not even my full-time job up until this past season started when I gave it a go with Rivals after contemplating that opportunity and another from a notable recruiting service. I was not a fan at all how Toast portrayed OBB had got me a gig at SI. SI reached out to me in the summer of 2021, I gave OBB a shot and I didn’t like the way things were headed before the launch of their website. I left SI because it didn’t make sense for me and my family, they come first. I had taken a break when the pandemic hit in March of 2020, went through a divorce which was a toxic relationship that held me back from chasing all of this years ago. Roman has been a good friend of mine for many years as well as Scoop. Me and Toast and that whole issue is water under the bridge.

Again, people only see things from the outside. I didn’t just up and leave without good or justified reasons.

Geo, fck all that. About that stadium….lol

Man, seriously, congrats. Miss u around here, but glad for the scenery change & better opportunity afforded to u my brotha.

Advertisement
Steele is a phenomenal coach. Y'all gotta stop letting first year results sway your judgment on coaches. Yall do this all the time.
Fans fail to realize how long it actually takes to implement an entire scheme and get the right kids in the building to run it properly.
I don't think y'all understand the magnitude of what this defensive staff was dealing with in terms of attitude, work ethic and talent.

Personally I'm gonna miss the **** outta Steele. Dude helped me a ton and had a plethora of experience and knowledge.

Advertisement
Funny but I have receipts to prove you are wrong but I’ll let you cook because you thought it was a good troll.
37E0B1C4-9988-4F23-A6F3-B27FC8D19D20.gif

Steele is a phenomenal coach. Y'all gotta stop letting first year results sway your judgment on coaches. Yall do this all the time.
Fans fail to realize how long it actually takes to implement an entire scheme and get the right kids in the building to run it properly.
I don't think y'all understand the magnitude of what this defensive staff was dealing with in terms of attitude, work ethic and talent.

Personally I'm gonna miss the **** outta Steele. Dude helped me a ton and had a plethora of experience and knowledge.
Yep.....been laughing reading this stuff.

Folks need to realize that any defense is going to perform poorly when their offense never possesses the ball for any length of time.

Advertisement
yea he sucked so bad, Saban wanted him for DC. morons on here
And yet Saban also wanted Dan Enos (the guy who had his unlaminated play calling sheet in the pouring rain) to be his OC. Perhaps grown adults should stop treating and referring to Saban as a god and drool over his every move.

Our CB's were so bad that Steele couldn't even run his base coverage because they were getting cooked.

For those who don't know...

Steele is a big Cover-3 "Match" guy...with press alignment on the outside. He literally said in one of his first clinics at Miami..."We are a press team. We are going to disrupt routes."

Well when the defensive staff got to Miami, our Corners didn't even know how to properly play press. (thanks Manny)
The staff spent a ton of energy reteaching them how to properly perform the fundamentals of coverage. This is part of implementing a new scheme. Coaches do it across the country.

Well fast forward to 4/5 games through the season (?), our CB's were getting cooked on deep vertical routes. It was evident at that point that we couldn't run our base scheme. I literally watched them change their scheme to a more of a loose zone Cover-2 shell to try and salvage some defensive success/momentum.

Some people might say "well you shouldn't be running that scheme with those players". But that's not how it works. Finding out what your players can and can't do, takes a little longer than people think. It takes at least a few games of live action versus an opponent. Every week you try to "coach it up" as best as you can until it's blatantly evident that they can't perform the duties required. If you change the scheme too quickly, instead of coaching up the players, you essentially show the players that you don't believe in them.

Coaches that have been doing this for 30 years have a system that they believe in. With that system, you need certain type of players. You are not going to change the system that you've been running for 30 years to fit around a lack of talent. Not at a level of football where you can actually cherry pick what you need. This isn't high school.

Steele didn't have what he needed at CB or LB. (particularly CB)

The players were toxic. The guy succeeded in many places

Advertisement

So, we should've kept Gattis too?

Advertisement
I have nothing against them but like I said earlier, I haven’t just up and left from places without something better in front of it and I had legitimate and good reasons to leave. This is a permanent stop and they treat me very well at LifeWallet. People only see things from the outside, not what goes on internally.

This was not even my full-time job up until this past season started when I gave it a go with Rivals after contemplating that opportunity and another from a notable recruiting service. I was not a fan at all how Toast portrayed OBB had got me a gig at SI. SI reached out to me in the summer of 2021, I gave OBB a shot and I didn’t like the way things were headed before the launch of their website. I left SI because it didn’t make sense for me and my family, they come first. I had taken a break when the pandemic hit in March of 2020, went through a divorce which was a toxic relationship that held me back from chasing all of this years ago. Roman has been a good friend of mine for many years as well as Scoop. Me and Toast and that whole issue is water under the bridge.

Again, people only see things from the outside. I didn’t just up and leave without good or justified reasons.
you don't have to explain your life decisions to ppl on a message board man

congrats, best of luck at LW

Inside Geo’s marriage counseling when his ex-wife heard about him hanging out with a grown man named Toast…
That was after but I chuckled 😂

The moral of the story, choose wisely the woman in your life. The past two and a half years have been great for me and that divorce was the reason why I was finally able to pursue all of this.

Having the right people around you makes a world of a difference. I’m happy, have another baby boy and left a job that treated me well for over 12 years to pursue this back in September. God works in mysterious ways.

If it’s any consolation, there was consideration to return here. D$ knew what my end goal was and what I’ve been doing while I’ve been gone from CIS, reality is… none of the past two years is possible for me without CIS first tbh. I’ll be popping in here much more again since I’m not binded to any subscription services.

Last edited:
Steele is a good coach whoever is saying he isn’t doesn’t know ball. But at the same time I feel he can be upgraded. He has had good defenses in his career but he has never been able to hit that top 10 or top 5 type territory. I wouldn’t mind if he had stayed because I know what I would get

Steele runs the exact same concepts that Saban does anyway. Nick is where he learned most of his stuff from. (per his words)
Perfect final retirement gig too. It is what it is. At his age, this wasn’t a project he was going to have time or patience to complete, and he learned that hard lesson last year.

Going back to Bama, money has bought a locomotive now that will always be running strong under Saban. He can work with the best players under a strong culture for as good of money,

I hate it, but it will take time for ANY Coach to unravel the **** that was started by Shalala after 2001. It is just facts. I don’t believe Cristobal is that great of a coach, but if he succeeds in changing the culture…it will go a loooong way

Advertisement
Back