Confirmed Kevin Steele GONE to Bama

Advertisement
Well, it looks like Strong is going to Bama as well. Thanks for getting our LB room up to par. Whose next?

Honestly, I may be in the minority but that could be a good thing. If Mario had his eye on someone else replacing Steele, I bet Strong would have left anyway. So, the only way Strong would have stayed is if he was offered the DC gig. I'm not sure that's the best scenario.

I think Strong leaving opens the door for more opportunities to revamp this defensive staff. Unfortunately, if that happens, Mario is starting to have a real issue with attrition and his staff.

And yet Saban also wanted Dan Enos (the guy who had his unlaminated play calling sheet in the pouring rain) to be his OC. Perhaps grown adults should stop treating and referring to Saban as a god and drool over his every move.
his method and decisions have been pretty successful. alot of fans love to blame coaches for our programs issues instead of the guys on the field who can't execute. when Bama has a top 10 defense next season maybe yall will realize it wasn't a Steele issue

So who gets hired first the OC or DC

Aging Matt Damon GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Steele is a phenomenal coach. Y'all gotta stop letting first year results sway your judgment on coaches. Yall do this all the time.
Fans fail to realize how long it actually takes to implement an entire scheme and get the right kids in the building to run it properly.
I don't think y'all understand the magnitude of what this defensive staff was dealing with in terms of attitude, work ethic and talent.

Personally I'm gonna miss the **** outta Steele. Dude helped me a ton and had a plethora of experience and knowledge.

I agree with all of that, but his next stop will reveal a lot of things to me.

Is he still what he was in his prime or close to it at least. Mentally, you do slow down as you age. You maybe don't go as hard at anything like you used to. Is the same vigor, drive, and passion still evident. How set in your ways are you and how quickly can you adapt in game and through the season?

He has been around the block a long *** time and has a wealth of knowledge. He'll have everything he needs from support staff to the players there to turn it up on D. I'll be interested to see what happens as he's got a **** ton more to work with than he did here.

So Steele was bad according to everyone but as soon as Saban wants him everyone changed their opinion.
**** Saban could be a cult leader easily.
I bet a lot of successful college football coaches could probably be cult leaders

I like strong and would be disappointed to lose him. Our LB play last year was better than I expected with who we had back there

Depends on who the replacement would be though

Advertisement
If Mario wanted to hire Strong as his DC he would’ve last year when he was sitting on his couch. If Mario is passing once again then obviously he’s trying to get a bigger fish. So if Strong feels slighted then let him go to Bama, zero sleep will be lost. Rather hire the right staff this time around, this whole super staff had Miami looking like the Nets last year. Bunch of All-Stars that don’t mesh. The less position coaches the better, let the new guy pick his people.

Amazing how quickly Saban gets his guys in place. Perhaps Mario did not learn this lesson from Sensei

Advertisement
Amazing how quickly Saban gets his guys in place. Perhaps Mario did not learn this lesson from Sensei
Mario missed a few lessons. However, Pete Golding was pushed out and officially left for Ole Miss on January 15. That was two weeks before Gattis was officially canned (emphasis on officially). We all know Steele was a way's down on Saban's list. That said, you get a lot more leeway and deference after almost two fists full of rings.

The more I read up on Maddix from SDSU, the more I’m impressed. Bring him here - and he’s not even expensive. He’s making less than 500K. Was at Eastern Kentucky in the FCS ranks prior to San Diego State.

“During his tenure at EKU, the Colonels ranked 24th in FCS play in defensive pass efficiency (120.4), 36th in defensive rush avg. (4.0) and 38th in total defense (360.9).”

His final season (2019), their defense was very good. Led the OVC in the following:
- third down percentage (.310, 5th in FCS)
- fourth down percentage (.333, 7th in FCS)
- red zone percentage (.700, 11th in FCS)
- tackles for loss per game (7.9, 13th in FCS)
- first downs allowed (205, 18th in FCS)

Second in the OVC in:
- scoring defense (20.6, 15th in FCS)
- rush defense (119.1, 15th in FCS)
- total defense (325.3, 16th in FCS).

Jumped to SDSU and their defense hasn’t missed a beat. They finished third in the country in 2022 in terms of rushing defense, twelfth in total defense, and picked off 17 passes. Run D was good at EKU too - 2019 they held opponents under 100 yds rushing six times.

Also coaches linebackers. Seems like a very well-rounded and aggressive defense that maximizes pressure up front and allows DBs to thrive off that pressure. There’s no marriage to a particular school (Valpo alum).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back