Keontra Smith

Advertisement
Keontra is CMR's ideal player: God-fearing, humble, hard-hitting, instinctual, poised, teachable, product of a solid home. Looking forward to seeing him perform on Saturdays after spending the last year watching him with his father on the Lion sidelines. He mostly played OLB at CM as he has the thickness to thump and speed to keep pace with RBs and TEs. Expecting him to play that same role for the State Champions out of Hollywood again this year. CMR mentioned 2 attributes in his tweet this morning that stuck with me regarding Ke, fast twitch and sure tackling. You can see that repeatedly in his highlights as he turns on the switch, flies to the ball carrier, and wraps him up, two-handed, lifting his head upon impact. Textbook. We can all get behind that after watching several targeting penalties the last couple years against our boys.

Smith, along with Te'Cory Couch and a few others, just returned from Ann Arbor. That was not just a supportive jaunt for Te'Cory. UMich hit the boys hard. The coaches came at Keontra with the Jabril Peppers comparison/position; which is similar to the Coach Diaz role for which he will be groomed. The decision he came to this week (waiting til Mother's Day to announce), was not easy. Michigan's academics are on par, or slightly better than Miami's, depending on course of study. Keontra's first and foremost priority is getting a world class education. He is a very committed student as well as athlete. Again, another CMR trait. Michigan came on strong over the last couple months or so and was in this til the very end. Alabama had his ear for a bit as well, but that was just the "shock and awe" aspect of hearing from Saban. Don't think this was a slam dunk by any means.

Congrats to you and your fam, LockSmith @IronMan794

My sauce? I work with both of his proud parents.

Advertisement
“It’s close to my family,” he told InsideTheU last week. “All throughout my childhood it was a dream to just play at Miami. It’s a big school where big time players make big time plays in big time games. I chose to do it today because I want to be special for my mom. I want to stay home for her.”

giphy (1) (1).gif

Advertisement
Keontra is CMR's ideal player: God-fearing, humble, hard-hitting, instinctual, poised, teachable, product of a solid home. Looking forward to seeing him perform on Saturdays after spending the last year watching him with his father on the Lion sidelines. He mostly played OLB at CM as he has the thickness to thump and speed to keep pace with RBs and TEs. Expecting him to play that same role for the State Champions out of Hollywood again this year. CMR mentioned 2 attributes in his tweet this morning that stuck with me regarding Ke, fast twitch and sure tackling. You can see that repeatedly in his highlights as he turns on the switch, flies to the ball carrier, and wraps him up, two-handed, lifting his head upon impact. Textbook. We can all get behind that after watching several targeting penalties the last couple years against our boys.

Smith, along with Te'Cory Couch and a few others, just returned from Ann Arbor. That was not just a supportive jaunt for Te'Cory. UMich hit the boys hard. The coaches came at Keontra with the Jabril Peppers comparison/position; which is similar to the Coach Diaz role for which he will be groomed. The decision he came to this week (waiting til Mother's Day to announce), was not easy. Michigan's academics are on par, or slightly better than Miami's, depending on course of study. Keontra's first and foremost priority is getting a world class education. He is a very committed student as well as athlete. Again, another CMR trait. Michigan came on strong over the last couple months or so and was in this til the very end. Alabama had his ear for a bit as well, but that was just the "shock and awe" aspect of hearing from Saban. Don't think this was a slam dunk by any means.

Congrats to you and your fam, LockSmith @IronMan794

My sauce? I work with both of his proud parents.

Great stuff. Any idea on if the kid or his parents believed that Harbaugh will still be in Ann Arbor for more than like 2 more years and if coaching stability played into his decision?

Advertisement
No thought regarding Glasses and Khakis. The UMich education was really a pull over whether John's brother would stick around three or four more years. Their sell of the position also raised their stock. It is similar to what CM has him doing most of the time. The actual "will my coach still be here?" thought was never discussed here at home.

From outside the UMich fam, it is hard to believe that Harbaugh would not be given at least a couple more years, maybe the usual five at the minimum considering he is a favorite son, a top level college QB for them, etc. From a #canesfam standpoint, this year has to be his best chance to defeat the school from Ohio with Shea Patterson at the helm. If he can't compete this fall, we don't have the Wolverines to worry about on the recruiting trail.

And, no, the trip to Rome and the Vatican did not play a role in Michigan's rise up Smith's board.

When we use the SLB, our depth chart is set for 2019: McCloud, Wilder, and Solomon.
When we use the striker, our depth chart is set for 2019: Finley and Derrick Smith.

Our strong safety depth chart is set for 2019: Carter, Knowles, Keontre Smith.

The last remaining hole is at free safety for 2019: Hall, Derrick Smith (when he's not needed at Striker), and two more true free safeties. Hopefully they're Stevenson and Gant.

Advertisement
No thought regarding Glasses and Khakis. The UMich education was really a pull over whether John's brother would stick around three or four more years. Their sell of the position also raised their stock. It is similar to what CM has him doing most of the time. The actual "will my coach still be here?" thought was never discussed here at home.

From outside the UMich fam, it is hard to believe that Harbaugh would not be given at least a couple more years, maybe the usual five at the minimum considering he is a favorite son, a top level college QB for them, etc. From a #canesfam standpoint, this year has to be his best chance to defeat the school from Ohio with Shea Patterson at the helm. If he can't compete this fall, we don't have the Wolverines to worry about on the recruiting trail.

And, no, the trip to Rome and the Vatican did not play a role in Michigan's rise up Smith's board.
I disagree. If he loses to OSU and doesn't win the big ten he is finished. They are not paying him buckets of money to lose every season.

Advertisement
Back