Kentucky Derby

Advertisement
I’m not a PETA guy, & congrats to the young man for this accomplishment, but I’m good off horse racing. The way they r treated, doped up, put down, etc…ppl r so in an outrage of dog fighting, yet these same folks glorify horse racing when the vast majority of these horses are mistreated immensely.

Anyways, not going to derail, but I’ve always found that interesting & hypocritical.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I didn’t opine on the choices of any creatures, merely my concern for all creatures.

It’s a celebration thread about a Miami alum’s horse winning the Derby.

Are you here to mope?

Your deflection was woefully pathetic.

I'm not the one who equated human athletes to horses and dogs, that was you.

Apparently Anheuser-Busch did some pretty unspeakable things to the Budweiser horse too. Poor guy
When I worked for Hallandale rec, centuries ago, they had a softball league/games at our park during the racing season at Gulfstream. I umpired. I was amazed at how tough, physically and mentally the jockeys were. They played as hard as they could, even though these were meaningless games. And I was impressed with how strong they were, and they were very athletic. The trainers were all pretty cool as well. When the Breeders Cup was there, Broward sheriffs used our building as a staging point. There were packed with weaponry.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I love watching the horses run but hate how we get to that point with all the deaths, which certainly makes me wonder why this is a sport besides history and betting.
But what I don’t know and I hope someone on here can explain is, why are there so many injuries and deaths in horse racing? Are the horses too young for the stress? Is racing just inherently dangerous? Is that what the trainers give the horses to make them train harder and run faster that is causing the problems?

Put simply, is there a way to have safer horse racing?

Advertisement
Back