Ken Dorsey OC Articles

Andrew

All American
Administrator
A lot of posters have mentioned that Dorsey is expected to get a shot at OC in the NFL in the next 2 years. I have been trying to find articles to understand this and read what those saying this have to say about him.

I have not been able to find ANY articles suggesting Dorsey is being considered for an OC gig. Can someone please post them so I can understand what he would bring to an offense?

Advertisement
Cam Newton bro. That's all we need to know Dorsey would kill it as a collegiate OC.

A lot of posters have mentioned that Dorsey is expected to get a shot at OC in the NFL in the next 2 years. I have been trying to find articles to understand this and read what those saying this have to say about him.

I have not been able to find ANY articles suggesting Dorsey is being considered for an OC gig. Can someone please post them so I can understand what he would bring to an offense?

I think the basis for that speculation is based on Chud or Mike Shula eventually landing a HC job somewhere in the NFL,
and when that happens it is not unreasonable to assume he will follow one of those two (or another coach) as OC.
He is one step away in a league that hires and fires alot of coaches every year.

Usually when an assistant coach has success at doing his job like Dorsey has as a QB coach talk of move up is well warranted lack of any articles notwithstanding.

Advertisement

Same porster who thinks Strong is a great fit for Miami and that Chud = Schnelly is the one who started this Dorsey OC nonsense.

I'm starting to question if D$ is actually a Miami fan.

Same porster who thinks Strong is a great fit for Miami and that Chud = Schnelly is the one who started this Dorsey OC nonsense.

D$ is good, we all have our own opinions.

I guess what I was asking for was an article written by someone that says Dorsey is being considered for an NFL job and laying out the reasons and what a Dorsey offense would look like. So far the only thing I can find is Canes fans discussing it on message boards. If Dorsey is being considered for a NFL OC gig you would figure at least one person would write about it. Don't give me the natural progression crap. The NFL has 32 teams so they could bring in 31 other QB coaches or over 100 college OC's to replace Shula if he gets another gig.

I just want to be sold on Dorsey by someone that doesn't have his college jersey in their closet.

D$ is good, we all have our own opinions.

I guess what I was asking for was an article written by someone that says Dorsey is being considered for an NFL job and laying out the reasons and what a Dorsey offense would look like. So far the only thing I can find is Canes fans discussing it on message boards. If Dorsey is being considered for a NFL OC gig you would figure at least one person would write about it. Don't give me the natural progression crap. The NFL has 32 teams so they could bring in 31 other QB coaches or over 100 college OC's to replace Shula if he gets another gig.

I just want to be sold on Dorsey by someone that doesn't have his college jersey in their closet.

All good points.
But natural progression is real in the NFL.
You find folks who were merely positional coaches at mid-major school climbing up to OC in 5-7 years.
It happens.

Advertisement
Dorsey, who was groomed by Chudzinski to be an NFL assistant, is in his first season as a position coach. Prior to this season Dorsey, who spent three seasons as a player with the 49ers and three seasons with the Browns, worked as Carolina's advance scout for two years.

In that role his primary responsibility was to breakdown each opponent for Cam Newton, so promoting him to quarterback coach once Chudzinski left and Shula got promoted was the natural progression.

Dorsey's presence has helped Newton, who has a 91.8 passer rating heading into Sunday's game, make the most of his offense, and transformed the former Heisman Trophy winner into the leader the Panthers desperately needed.

Considering how well the Panthers are now playing its easy to conclude Shula and Dorsey will continue to rise up the coaching ranks.

Maybe in a couple of seasons Shula will become the third member of his family to become an NFL head coach, and Dorsey will become an offensive coordinator.

Panthers have South Florida connections on coaching staff - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

I've got some family in Charlotte that are huge canes fans that hear interviews and read stuff all the time about Rivera talking up Dorsey as an OC candidate and that they are sure he's going to be gone in the near future

I'm all in supporting him for OC, but I do understand the issues people have with him not being ready for that position. But there have been plenty of successful QB coach turned OC that never called plays before.

At the age of 34 he has a pretty impressive NFL resume. I like the idea of him being a scout first, breaking down D's for Cam Newton, that would be a valuable experience for a young OC.

Everything that exits your mind is hyperbole. You come up with these absolute declarations that you believe to be gospel. Anyone who says anything slightly contrary to what you have declared as cannon gets an immediate personal insult. The fact that you claim to have all the answers means that you have no answers. You're a small person. You need to consistently put people down just to feel validated. Everything about you, even your negative username, agrees with what I've just said. Sad.

I'm not going to get into this ****show over Dorsey's merits, but is the thinking that:

In order to be considered as a QB coach likely to rise as an OC, articles written about the topic are the key indicator? Have you taken a look at QB coaches who jumped up to OC? Did you find articles about those guys in November prior to their promotion? Did you find articles analyzing the merits of QB coaches as future OCs a year or two in advance of those promotions?

Maybe there are articles online somewhere honing in on future OCs years in advance. I'd like to read those and see how things turned out.

Advertisement
Honest opinion on Dorsey...I'd be fine with him as an OC if the head coach is a proven offensive guru type. Pairing a first time OC with a defensive head coach has disaster written all over it.

I'm not going to get into this ****show over Dorsey's merits, but is the thinking that:

Fine. This is an argument that will never be settled until he is actually calling plays some place. I just fail to see why he should even be considered other than he used to play here. Does Dorsey have so much perceived potential that he should be hired over another competent college playcaller with a history of offensive success?

Fine. This is an argument that will never be settled until he is actually calling plays some place. I just fail to see why he should even be considered other than he used to play here. Does Dorsey have so much perceived potential that he should be hired over another competent college playcaller with a history of offensive success?

Ok, I'll bite. Yes, you're right: he's only being considered because he played here and people want nostalgia. By everyone. Forgive me if I'm not going to discount someone from rising to the next step in their career without knowing **** about his philosophy, what he plans to do, etc. "Oh, but that's the point! We're ******* Miami! We need proven playcallers!!" Maybe. Or, maybe we need the next badass. Is Dorsey that guy? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the next Head Coach of the Hurricanes and I haven't discussed details of what Dorsey's playbook would look like.

Somewhere between insults of people being "defeated" for being realistic about our alternatives at different levels and us making a good decision, there's a reasonable discussion to be had. For me, it's closer to "I'd consider Dorsey and any other person who might be a badass" than "just hire Dorsey." If you don't think he should even be considered, that's where we're not going to agree.

Advertisement

I'm starting to wonder if GoldenShowers is actually an old ex-girlfriend.

This isn't healthy, my friend.

Dear DMoney,

You have received an infraction at CanesInSight.

Reason: Personal attacks on another poster
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s). Three infractions may result in a temporary ban.

Ok, I'll bite. Yes, you're right: he's only being considered because he played here and people want nostalgia. By everyone. Forgive me if I'm not going to discount someone from rising to the next step in their career without knowing **** about his philosophy, what he plans to do, etc. "Oh, but that's the point! We're ****ing Miami! We need proven playcallers!!" Maybe. Or, maybe we need the next badass. Is Dorsey that guy? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the next Head Coach of the Hurricanes and I haven't discussed details of what Dorsey's playbook would look like.

Somewhere between insults of people being "defeated" for being realistic about our alternatives at different levels and us making a good decision, there's a reasonable discussion to be had. For me, it's closer to "I'd consider Dorsey and any other person who might be a badass" than "just hire Dorsey." If you don't think he should even be considered, that's where we're not going to agree.

Maybe the next badass resides in Toledo? Jason Candle. How much is Eddie Gran making at Cincy? This all just stinks of Butch Davis attempting to gain favor from the public and decision makers. Thats what bothers me the most about it. Out of all the people in his "great network of contacts" he lands on the legendary QB from the school he wants to coach at. It stinks. Smells like a man who has campaigned for this job playing politics.

Ok, I'll bite. Yes, you're right: he's only being considered because he played here and people want nostalgia. By everyone. Forgive me if I'm not going to discount someone from rising to the next step in their career without knowing **** about his philosophy, what he plans to do, etc. "Oh, but that's the point! We're ****ing Miami! We need proven playcallers!!" Maybe. Or, maybe we need the next badass. Is Dorsey that guy? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the next Head Coach of the Hurricanes and I haven't discussed details of what Dorsey's playbook would look like.

Maybe the next badass resides in Toledo? Jason Candle. How much is Eddie Gran making at Cincy? This all just stinks of Butch Davis attempting to gain favor from the public and decision makers. Thats what bothers me the most about it. Out of all the people in his "great network of contacts" he lands on the legendary QB from the school he wants to coach at. It stinks. Smells like a man who has campaigned for this job playing politics.

That's entirely possible and I hope we do whatever it takes to scour the earth for the next badass. That next badass needs to fit with what our HC wants to set as the philosophy of the team. I get your frustration, but don't think that it applies to everyone. There are humans who root for the Canes who are able to sniff out the politics and still discuss what may be the best alternative. Some of you guys are taking shots at Dorsey because it has an association with the #BBB faction that's being unreasonable.

And, right along your logic, that's what bothers me. You're partly discounting a potentially viable candidate because of this nonsense message board war. People have gone so far as to say "I hate Butch now because of the #BBB cult." What? I can understand being annoyed at the unreasonableness and pointing your ire at those posters and their posts, but to let others dictate your objective feelings on a candidate because they're annoying you seems equally as odd.

Again, for me, put all this BS aside. Just look for the very best HC candidate. Keep swinging until you land on your best alternative. Then, look for the best possible coordinators who can execute their plans to bleed into that guy's broader philosophy. At OC, whether that's Dorsey or the next Malzahn lingering around some random school, do it. I don't care. Too many "feelings" are getting into this decision.

Advertisement
Back