Ken Dorsey OC Articles

Cam Newton bro. That's all we need to know Dorsey would kill it as a collegiate OC.

Huh?
A once in a decade physical freak at QB that is leading his team to a likely super bowl birth is the reason Dorsey deserves to be an OC?
Dorsey has been on that staff more than just this year, correct? See where I'm going with this...?

I want an OC with OC experience. Love Dorsey, but just because your an QB coach for a guy who might be the best athlete in the NFL, doesn't mean you just automatically deserve to be an OC..

Advertisement
A lot of posters have mentioned that Dorsey is expected to get a shot at OC in the NFL in the next 2 years. I have been trying to find articles to understand this and read what those saying this have to say about him.

I have not been able to find ANY articles suggesting Dorsey is being considered for an OC gig. Can someone please post them so I can understand what he would bring to an offense?

I'm not going to get into this ****show over Dorsey's merits, but is the thinking that:

Fine. This is an argument that will never be settled until he is actually calling plays some place. I just fail to see why he should even be considered other than he used to play here. Does Dorsey have so much perceived potential that he should be hired over another competent college playcaller with a history of offensive success?

Ok, I'll bite. Yes, you're right: he's only being considered because he played here and people want nostalgia. By everyone. Forgive me if I'm not going to discount someone from rising to the next step in their career without knowing **** about his philosophy, what he plans to do, etc. "Oh, but that's the point! We're ****ing Miami! We need proven playcallers!!" Maybe. Or, maybe we need the next badass. Is Dorsey that guy? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the next Head Coach of the Hurricanes and I haven't discussed details of what Dorsey's playbook would look like.

Somewhere between insults of people being "defeated" for being realistic about our alternatives at different levels and us making a good decision, there's a reasonable discussion to be had. For me, it's closer to "I'd consider Dorsey and any other person who might be a badass" than "just hire Dorsey." If you don't think he should even be considered, that's where we're not going to agree.

Maybe the next badass resides in Toledo? Jason Candle. How much is Eddie Gran making at Cincy? This all just stinks of Butch Davis attempting to gain favor from the public and decision makers. Thats what bothers me the most about it. Out of all the people in his "great network of contacts" he lands on the legendary QB from the school he wants to coach at. It stinks. Smells like a man who has campaigned for this job playing politics.

That's EXACTLY what Butch did by floating Dorsey's name. He's not a great HC, but he might be one of the slickest dudes in the history of politics. He tossed Dorsey's name out there to get even more UM fans on his side because he's smart enough to know that the easiest way to get UM fans on your side is by dialing up nostalgia.

Dorsey might be the next offensive mastermind. And he might be the next Josh Heupel at Oklahoma. We don't know because no one's ever seen him call a play in a game. It's pure guesswork. UM needs to get this team fixed IMMEDIATELY, and the surest way to do it is by hiring guys who know exactly what they're doing. We don't have the luxury of striking out again or hiring a bunch of amateurs who are learning on the job.

Calling plays during the heat of a football game in 20 seconds is an art form. It's not something that everyone can master, and it's usually something that you get better at with experience. That's why the normal progression is smaller to bigger--G5 to P5 to NFL.

Cam Newton bro. That's all we need to know Dorsey would kill it as a collegiate OC.

Dorsey might be doing a good job but would counter by saying he is working with a freak at the qb position.

Sarcasm

Huh?
A once in a decade physical freak at QB that is leading his team to a likely super bowl birth is the reason Dorsey deserves to be an OC?
Dorsey has been on that staff more than just this year, correct? See where I'm going with this...?

I want an OC with OC experience. Love Dorsey, but just because your an QB coach for a guy who might be the best athlete in the NFL, doesn't mean you just automatically deserve to be an OC..

Sarcasm

Dorsey might be doing a good job but would counter by saying he is working with a freak at the qb position.

Sarcasm

Huh?

Sarcasm

Thought about that but I don't come over here much, lol.

Advertisement
A lot of posters have mentioned that Dorsey is expected to get a shot at OC in the NFL in the next 2 years. I have been trying to find articles to understand this and read what those saying this have to say about him.

I have not been able to find ANY articles suggesting Dorsey is being considered for an OC gig. Can someone please post them so I can understand what he would bring to an offense?

I seem to be the only one who actually understands your question, so I'll say this: it looks an awful lot like you aren't the only one who can't find an article to that effect. I begin to suspect that the only folks talking about KD as an OC right now are on this site. Or maybe there are a ton of articles and everybody is just too stupid to understand what your question was.

This thread has gone a bit off topic.

At this point this thread seems to prove a few points:

1) No one in the NFL is suggesting Dorsey will be an OC any time soon. There are no articles, quotes or even fan post on message boards asking for Dorsey

2) Those suggestion Dorsey is a future NFL OC only are suggesting that due to him being a QB coach in the NFL. I have found no articles where anyone not on this message board suggest that will happen in the next few years. Multiple users have mentioned him being a QB coach for the reason he will be a NFL OC.

Last I was able to find one article that talks about Dorsey and Cam's relationship

NFL's odd couple: Ken Dorsey in charge of making Panthers' Cam Newton a better QB - Yahoo Sports

A few notes from this article

1) Cam was surprised by the hire of Dorsey

2) Dorsey is much more of a fire brand than most people think. Apparently he lead the charge to hire Coker

3) Dorsey and Cam worked together at the IMG academy on footwork

4) Shula's offense which is very vertical which is what both Cam and Dorsey are use to from college and with Cam's arm it is the better fit for him to run. I think it is safe to say the offense has had at least as big of an impact on Cam as Dorsey has. Shula should be given credit as well.

5) Oddly enough it doesn't seem Cam was too big of a fan of Chud's offense

Dorsey has always been very intelligent so I wouldn't expect him to come in and run the same offense he ran in college. I have no idea what a Dorsey offense would look like but it would be interesting to see. In my opinion I would like to see Dorsey as the OC only if we hire an offensive minded coach. Nothing I have read changes my opinion on this. If Butch is hired I wouldn't mind seeing a co-oc setup where Dorsey coaches QB's but doesn't call plays.

So because no one has written an article on Dorsey being an NFL OC that for sure means he won't be one anytime soon?
That's being a bit short sighted
Articles weren't written about Joe Philbin becoming a HC until the Dolphins made him one.
Guess what made him get promoted? His success at GB and with being credited in developing Rodgers.
Success is going to make a coach get consideration in taking the the next step all the time.. Currently Dorsey's success at Carolina is putting him on the fast track to becoming an OC.
Needing articles written about the possibility of it happening to believe that it would is a silly notion.

Advertisement
So because no one has written an article on Dorsey being an NFL OC that for sure means he won't be one anytime soon?
Articles weren't written about Joe Philbin becoming a HC until the Dolphins made him one.
Guess what made him get promoted? His success at GB and with being credited in developing Rodgers.
Success is going to make a coach get consideration in taking the the next step all the time.. Currently Dorsey's success at Carolina is putting him on the fast track to becoming an OC.
Needing articles written about the possibility of it happening to believe that it would is a silly notion.

The obvious point that everyone seems to be missing is that this board is way overhyping the purported heat around Dorsey in order to further their pro-Dorsey/Butch agenda. No one said Dorsey won't get an OC gig. People are merely attempting to reel in the fake hype surrounding Dorsey.

Everything I have read attributes the success at Carolina to the offense that Shula is running. It seems Shula's time as a QB coach for Cam gave him insights into what type of offense Carolina needs to run to be successful. Honestly after searching around for a few hours I am higher on Shula and about the same on Dorsey. No one except for posters on this message board have suggested Dorsey is on the fast track to be an OC, so your statement is false unless you can uncover what no one else has been able too.

Success is what made Charlie Weiss a college coach and he had a lot more than Dorsey.

Last, I am not against Dorsey coming back to UM and this thread wasn't meant to bash him or Butch. Users have been saying the same thing you have just said for several weeks now and I just wanted to view the same information I assumed they were viewing. As it turns out it appears to be all made up.

1) No one in the NFL is suggesting Dorsey will be an OC any time soon. There are no articles, quotes or even fan post on message boards asking for Dorsey

2) Those suggestion Dorsey is a future NFL OC only are suggesting that due to him being a QB coach in the NFL. I have found no articles where anyone not on this message board suggest that will happen in the next few years. Multiple users have mentioned him being a QB coach for the reason he will be a NFL OC.

Last I was able to find one article that talks about Dorsey and Cam's relationship

NFL's odd couple: Ken Dorsey in charge of making Panthers' Cam Newton a better QB - Yahoo Sports

2) Dorsey is much more of a fire brand than most people think. Apparently he lead the charge to hire Coker

4) Shula's offense which is very vertical which is what both Cam and Dorsey are use to from college and with Cam's arm it is the better fit for him to run. I think it is safe to say the offense has had at least as big of an impact on Cam as Dorsey has. Shula should be given credit as well.

Dorsey has always been very intelligent so I wouldn't expect him to come in and run the same offense he ran in college. I have no idea what a Dorsey offense would look like but it would be interesting to see. In my opinion I would like to see Dorsey as the OC only if we hire an offensive minded coach. Nothing I have read changes my opinion on this. If Butch is hired I wouldn't mind seeing a co-oc setup where Dorsey coaches QB's but doesn't call plays.

Your sole reasoning continues to be based on articles and what you can find online. If I correctly remember a stat that I think WTH produced, we know that almost 2/3 of NFL OCs were first time playcallers when they became OCs. Please find articles or online material mentioning at least some of those prior to their promotions.

Essentially, this is what I came to this thread to address. I bit on someone's response and actually got into the Butch vs. Anti-Butch nonsense. I'll gladly bow out of that discussion, but would love to see the evidence of at least some of the coaches who were later elevated to coordinator level. Perhaps we can learn where some failed and some succeeded. Perhaps there are none. I have no idea.

Last edited:

Everything I have read attributes the success at Carolina to the offense that Shula is running. It seems Shula's time as a QB coach for Cam gave him insights into what type of offense Carolina needs to run to be successful. Honestly after searching around for a few hours I am higher on Shula and about the same on Dorsey. No one except for posters on this message board have suggested Dorsey is on the fast track to be an OC, so your statement is false unless you can uncover what no one else has been able too.

Success is what made Charlie Weiss a college coach and he had a lot more than Dorsey.

Last, I am not against Dorsey coming back to UM and this thread wasn't meant to bash him or Butch. Users have been saying the same thing you have just said for several weeks now and I just wanted to view the same information I assumed they were viewing. As it turns out it appears to be all made up.

It's not about uncovering anything but more to do with knowing history and how promotions end up happening.
You are right, Shula deserves the majority of credit for the overall Carolina offense. That should go without saying.
His success will make him a target for HC openings in the near future. And if that happens guess who he will be looking to fill the OC job? Yup Dorsey.. Boom just like that Dorsey becomes a NFL OC. The NFL is about success and connections.
If Chud or Shula becomes NFL HC's Dorsey chances of being an OC increase.

Advertisement

Your sole reasoning continues to be based on articles and what you can find online. If I correctly remember a stat that I think WTH produced, we know that almost 2/3 of NFL OCs were first time playcallers when they became OCs. Please find articles or online material mentioning at least some of those prior to their promotions.

Essentially, this is what I came to this thread to address. I bit on someone's response and actually got into the Butch vs. Anti-Butch nonsense. I'll gladly bow out of that discussion, but would love to see the evidence of at least some of the coaches who were later elevated to coordinator level. Perhaps we can learn where some failed and some succeeded. Perhaps there are none. I have no idea.

It's not about uncovering anything but more to do with knowing history and how promotions end up happening.
You are right, Shula deserves the majority of credit for the overall Carolina offense. That should go without saying.
His success will make him a target for HC openings in the near future. And if that happens guess who he will be looking to fill the OC job? Yup Dorsey.. Boom just like that Dorsey becomes a NFL OC. The NFL is about success and connections.

Here is a list of current NFL OC's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_National_Football_League_offensive_coordinators

While A few went from AC to OC without ever being an OC in at least college. I couldn't find anyone that had less than 4 years experience coaching to make the jump. Most of the current OC's had experience as a OC in college. Some appeared to go back and howarth between WR, QB and OC. If Dorsey were to become an OC in the next 3 years it would be unprecedented. I hope he does it but it just seem to happen that fast for anyone else.
[MENTION=13150]roam305[/MENTION] if you look as the list of current OC it doesn't appear as if "history" happens the way you describe.

Why do people question his "readiness" to be an OC? Its a natural progression he's taken.

NFL Player (2003-2008) -> Pro Scout (2011-2012) -> QBs Coach (2012-Present) -> OC (?)

Whether or not you think he should be our OC is one thing... but it looks like he is ready to make that next step.

Here is a list of current NFL OC's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_National_Football_League_offensive_coordinators

While A few went from AC to OC without ever being an OC in at least college. I couldn't find anyone that had less than 4 years experience coaching to make the jump. Most of the current OC's had experience as a OC in college. Some appeared to go back and howarth between WR, QB and OC. If Dorsey were to become an OC in the next 3 years it would be unprecedented. I hope he does it but it just seem to happen that fast for anyone else.
@roam305 if you look as the list of current OC it doesn't appear as if "history" happens the way you describe.

Moving the goal posts on the first (bolded) comment from first time playcallers (which is the legitimate gripe here being mentioned by others) to overall experience? So now the issue is he's just too young?

As for first time playcalling experience, here you go:

Greg Roman, Bills - Never called a play, outside the HS level, before getting a job as the San Fran OC (NFL team).

Josh McDaniels, Pats - Never called a play, even at the college level, until he went from QB coach to OC for the Patriots. He had 2 years of position coach experience before he became an OC. Prior to that, he was a Graduate assistant in college and a random "assistant" (probably film analysis) for the Pats for a monumental...3 years.

Marc Trestman, Ravens - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC of the Cleveland Browns (NFL team).

John DeFilippo, Browns - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Todd Haley, Steelers - Never called a play until he went from WR coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Jason Michael, Titans - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Rick Dennison, Broncos - Never called a play until he went from OL coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Doug Pederson, Chiefs - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Bill Musgrave, Raiders - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC (of an NFL team).

Frank Reich, Chargers - Never called a play until he went from QB coach to OC (of an NFL team).

10/16 AFC teams went with first time playcallers. That is only the AFC. I think that's sufficient to show that there are many first time playcallers at the NFL level. What we're talking about is a first time playcaller that comes from the NFL to the college level. Again, I'm not advocating for Dorsey as a "hyped candidate" or "must have" because I think there should be a full out search and I totally acknowledge the risk with any first time playcaller. But, let's keep the facts straight, please. NFL teams go for first time playcallers ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:
Advertisement
First things first would Dorsey be worse than Coley? I bet he would be a better play caller however recruiting wise is the question. Head coach doesn't have to be an incredible recruiter but the coordinator's should be. I'm not sure how good of a recruiter Dorsey could be. There's better choices out there but I wouldn't necessarily reject the notion of Dorsey. I think he could do wonders with Kaaya.

LOL, looking for an article. You think they write articles about that? Probably be front page of SI next week.

Advertisement
Back