Kelvin Harris debates Manny Navarro.

depth could be the biggest issue here imo.
Totally agree............in fact we can play them close, but in the middle.............. to the end of the 4 th quarter, our lack of depth to finish will be evident.
May come down to a kicking game though, and then all bets are off......

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is probably pointless, but I got a few minutes today and I was curious so I started looking.

Somebody on here told me their roster is loaded with 5 stars and high 4 star kids, and I was scratching my head a bit so I did some digging.

In 2017, which should be their current senior class, they only had the 16th ranked class in the country. Actually, they were behind us, on paper of course (we were #12). Here are the kids ranked in the Top 200:

Tee Higgins -- Gone, currently on the Cincinnati Bengals
Hunter Johnson -- Gone, currently at Northwestern
AJ Terrell -- Gone, currently on the Atlanta Falcons

Amari Rodgers -- Currently a starting WR for them and a good player
Justin Foster -- On the team, but hasn't played yet this year. Dabo said today he's still out and no timetable for his return
Jordan Williams -- Currently a starting DT, but hasn't made much impact prior to this year. First start of his career was Week 1.
Travis Etienne -- Was ranked #213, but had to include him because of how special he is. Obviously a huge problem for our defense.

So, they signed 7 kids in the top 213, and only 3 of them will play against us, and 1 of those 3 really hasn't played a ton. Hmm.

In 2018, which should be their junior class, they signed the #7 class nationally. Miami signed the 8th ranked class. Top 200 kids:

Trevor Lawrence -- The best collegiate QB prospect since Luck and clearly the entire basis for how good they are. Say no more.
Xavier Thomas -- On the team, but hasn't played yet this year after being sick in the off-season and will not against us.
KJ Henry -- Currently a starting DE. Made his first career start against Wake. 2 sacks in his career.
Jackson Carman -- Currently the starting LT. High level talent and likely first round pick. Stud, will be great match-up with Roche.
Derion Kendrick -- Currently a co-starter at one of the corner spots. Second team all-ACC last year after moving from WR but didn't play Wk 1
Justyn Ross -- Absolutely elite talent, but out of the season due to injury
Kyler McMichael -- Transferred to UNC
Josh Belk -- Enrolled at Clemson but transferred to USCe after his first spring

Mario Goodrich -- Another co-starter at Corner, but hasn't played yet this year. Didn't do much his first 2 years. Will be back this week.
Justin Mascoll -- Redshirted in 2018 and didn't do much last year. Played a lot in the opener but still very limited experience. Backup.

So, they signed 10 Top 200 kids in 2018, but 4 are already gone. However, of the 6, they have a program changing talent at QB and a first round LT protecting his blindside. Other than that, possibly some talented kids but really nobody proven besides Kendrick.

In 2019, they signed the 10th ranked class. We signed our worst class in a while at #27. Top 200 kids:

Andrew Booth -- Super talented kid whose claim to fame so far is being forced to ride the bus home after being ejected in a game last season
Frank Ladson -- We all know Frankie. Excellent prospect, looked good last year as a true freshman. Starter.
Joe Ngata -- Starting WR as well but hasn't shown much yet and strained a muscle last week in practice. Monitor his status this week.
Will Putnam -- We recruited him hard, Tampa kid (Plant). Started at RG Week 1, first career start
Sheridan Jones -- Corner who may play vs us but low on their depth chart
Tyler Davis -- Another Florida kid we wanted. Sprained his MCL week 1 and will likely not play against us.
Joseph Charleston -- Backup Safety. Playing behind very limited but leader of their defense Nolan Turner
Bryton Constantine -- Retired in the summer after multiple knee injuries.

So, 8 more Top 200 kids, but only 6 will likely see action against us.

In their 2017, 2018, and 2019 classes, I count 15 kids who we will most likely see next weekend. By contrast, in those 3 classes, Miami has 10 kids ranked in the Top 200 who will see action against Clemson. Then you throw in King, Roche, Phillips, and Bolden....hmm.

Again, not discounting Clemson AT ALL. They're crazy talented, excellently coached, and the #1 team for a reason. And Trevor Lawrence can mask **** near any deficiency you have. But call me nuts....I don't see that absolutely loaded, experienced roster this year. Are they more talented than we are? Sure. They're gonna be a 2 TD favorite. But is it a gigantic gap? I really don't see it. I think we can play with these dudes. And the main reason being, the Quarterback position is so, so, so important. And we have a REALLY good one. He's not gonna be rattled, he's not gonna be scared, and he's accurate. That travels. Why don't we go out and drop 17-20 points in the first half and see if they don't tighten up a bit?
**** doesn't get more thorough than this. They are not loaded at every position and this proves that.

It'd be great to beat Clemson. But after last year, I'm hoping to get by Ga Tech and Duke. So far this year I've had more fun watching the Canes play since I can remember. Maybe ND a couple years ago.
We don't play Duke...lol.

I hate that you said this but it is so true...

Alot of things they do are BIG issues for our defense.

The use of the TE, Use of TE in the hback/move role, Outside zone, Screen games, and Qb running ability.

Louisville scored...Clemson definately will and will take deep shots to Rogers as well.

Our starting LB need to play with their hair on fire as well as DL because them in space is a mismatch

Advertisement
Kelvin's points are sound and Manny sounds homerish for Clemson
And herein lies the problem with alot of Miami people these days, ****'s all over the place, Navarro and the likes keep sweating all these outside teams, coach diaz knows what Miami should be about, I'd luv to hear his pregame speech for this one, just to hear his mindset during that hour. I'll give coach diaz a lil credit for what he said this week when he said in reference to the last time we faced Clemson he said:

Coach diaz
"it looked like we were playing the occasion and they were playing the game"

What he left out was "he was coaching there occasion" all year we primarily in press man and he got soft, Clemson picked that up right away and went basically 4 streaks up the zone to force the safeties to make a decision which is why renfrow was wide open. I don't want to see that **** again, I'd rather get bombed 1 on 1 than to get sliced and diced in zone coverage by a weak throwing qb.

Clemson's offense is a TERRIBLE match for our defense.

-All the mis direction, screens, qb running, ETC...

TAKE THE OVER
Only effective play FSU ran against us was the counter. It was actually very effective. So the 4-2-5 look is the right one against Clemson. Hopefully we play match zone against these guys. I'd like to see us stunt a **** of a lot less on run downs and keep gap discipline and not get fooled pre-snap with our eyes.

This.

And talent in terms of recruiting, they are well ahead of us based on the blue chip ratio. Per this 247 article Clemson has a BCR of 63% while we checked in just under 50%, at 49.4%. Obviously not a perfect measure of who is more talented as many times 3 stars develop to better talents than 4/5 stars. But IMO still gives a good general baseline of who has a more "talented" roster.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...n-win-a-national-title-148079661/#148079661_5
Here we go with this bullshat, what was it for this game:

Advertisement
GREAT question, this staff's minus coach rumph, cause if anybody knows coach rumph, his confidence level is that of an ALL-TIME, as it should be, so our corners won't be intimadated at all, same with ****inson's unit as well. The only way this staff can get this team to believe is by not calling the bullshat and scaredy cat scheme's that they did the last time we played em and coach diaz came out running that soft-*** ****, this is his protege's biggest stage, we've already seen some of his tatics, big boy league now, impress us or go home!
Right on, right on Calvin! It's a psychological state of mind for the Hurricanes Saturn night, October 3rd. And if they come in knowing they can shock the major CFB realm, the Hurricanes will be alright. What I like is we have some solid-on-down leaders on the team now. That includes both sides of the LOS. What worries me though, is Baker and his pansy **** schemes! He has to let loose on defense! No holding back until it's dire straits time. Because everybody in South Florida, and throughout the nation, knows the Hurricanes have the offensive power to go toe to toe and throw punches with mighty Clemson.

Oh. Another notion. The Hurricanes special teams easily out shines anything Clemson has to offer. Because both kickers will be donning NFL uni's next season. huh?

Advertisement
Right on, right on Calvin! It's a psychological state of mind for the Hurricanes Saturn night, October 3rd. And if they come in knowing they can shock the major CFB realm, the Hurricanes will be alright. What I like is we have some solid-on-down leaders on the team now. That includes both sides of the LOS. What worries me though, is Baker and his pansy **** schemes! He has to let loose on defense! No holding back until it's dire straits time. Because everybody in South Florida, and throughout the nation, knows the Hurricanes have the offensive power to go toe to toe and throw punches with mighty Clemson.

Oh. Another notion. The Hurricanes special teams easily out shines anything Clemson has to offer. Because both kickers will be donning NFL uni's next season. huh?

We are playing Saturn night, October 10. Just FYI so that you aren't flipping furiously through channels looking for the game.

Having listened to Manny on many podcastS, his main problem and why i think he is anti-Miami is his obsessive reliance on Negative stats to constantly bash us. He’s followed the program and HS football on off for 20 years yet his knowledge of football is average. Rarely does he use player analytics or film review, instead focuses on inaccurate metrics such as PFF grades which everyone knows has severe limitations especially for OL. The only reason I listen to his podcast is because of Kelvin Harris is very good, knowledgeable, and has inside information on players which Manny if he has rarely shares with his listeners.

Advertisement
Back