Kaidon Salter 4 star 2021 QB Cedar Hill, TX

Advertisement
Salter put himself in this position after being suspended in March along with multiple teammates for their involvement in an alleged assault and burglary at an on-campus residence hall. The players were arrested and charged for drug possession, though Salter's were later dropped. Salter and freshman linebacker Aaron Willis eventually returned to the team from suspension for workouts in May, but freshman defensive lineman Isaac Washington and redshirt freshman linebacker Martavius French entered the NCAA transfer portal at the end of April.

Salter's second incident happened over the weekend. The 18-year-old quarterback and freshman defensive lineman Amari McNeill were cited for simple possession after a traffic stop in the early-morning hours on Saturday. According to the report from the University of Tennessee Police, Salter and McNeill were pulled over on Cumberland Avenue near campus around 3 a.m. for having no taillights and a tinted plate cover over the vehicle's registration, and Salter told the officer he had 4 grams of marijuana and had told McNeill to throw it out of the car when he was pulled over and officers spotted the bag in front of the car.

After returning from suspension, Salter was expected to compete with Virginia Tech transfer Hendon Hooker, Michigan transfer Joe Milton and returning sophomores Harrison Bailey and Brian Maurer for Tennessee's starting quarterback job going into the 2021 season.

Before we kill an 18 year old for getting caught up with weed let’s provide some context. Salter enrolled early and his dad helped move him in. After moving him in his dad got COVID and was very sick. As a college kid you deal with life changing experiences often times for the first time such as financial issues, sick family members, homesickness and more. After that happened to his dad who knows how Salter may have been coping/dealing with that issue. He’s definitely at fault but he deserves a second chance. If he has to go prove himself at a juco or start off at a new school, I’ll be interested to watch his story.

Before we kill an 18 year old for getting caught up with weed let’s provide some context. Salter enrolled early and his dad helped move him in. After moving him in his dad got COVID and was very sick. As a college kid you deal with life changing experiences often times for the first time such as financial issues, sick family members, homesickness and more. After that happened to his dad who knows how Salter may have been coping/dealing with that issue. He’s definitely at fault but he deserves a second chance. If he has to go prove himself at a juco or start off at a new school, I’ll be interested to watch his story.
yes, he did have alot to deal with initially. But you also have to use your head and if you just complete a suspension you don't put yourself in a situation that could end up in a problem again... Hopefully he gets it together - he has a lot of talent.

I don't so much care about the weed, but the fact that it seems like he can't listen. And he already got a second chance at Tennessee. I feel bad about the situation surrounding him getting there (right when he gets to campus, the head coach who recruited him gets fired, dad gets a serious case of COVID, etc.) I'd imagine after the first scrape with the law that he'd want to lay back and just grind and try to move up the depth chart. But when you start out in the doghouse for a coach who didn't recruit you, you gotta be on the up and up from there.

I taught at Cedar Hill this past school year, and I will say that the coaching staff let him and the other players skate by on a lot of stuff.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back