Kaaya's pocket presence

Advertisement
Yesterday, he did his best job all year of climbing and shuffling in the pocket. If he can make the next leap under the next coach, and we can get an actual LT, he'll have a spectacular season next year.

Really needs to works on his footwork for next year. Needs to be lighter on his feet.

It's like he runs in quicksand

Advertisement
Kaaya is only a sophomore and is still getting better. He'll be drafted in the NFL and has starter potential.

We're lucky to have him

He definitely looked good moving in the pocket. My only concern is that he may develop a bad habit of throwing off his back foot when it's not necessary due to our poor OL protection his year. He's done a great job improving from year one to year two and I think he'll improve even more from year 2 to year 3.

Advertisement
When watching him yesterday I wondered if this line was worse than KW second year line. Either way both lines are bad. Yet KW lost all confidence in his game as the year went on. Kaaya has found a way to deal with bad OL play and has actually improved his play as the year has elapsed. A testament of hard work and determination by this young man. Another off season and I expect bigger things from him next year even with a new crop of receivers.

He looked good in the pocket yesterday but lets not fool our selves, he has still been dreadful at pocket awareness all season and still looks clueless when he has to get out of the pocket. He still needs a lot of improvement to be anything more than mid level. Think about it this way, we havent had this few passing TDs as a team since Kyle Wright was the starter.

Got to see him live this week and I lost count how many times he hit his 3rd and 4th options. Line played pretty well too I thought all thing considered. Kaaya missed a couple but he made a lot of plays. I was impressed

Advertisement
Kaaya is still leaving to many plays on the field and as a result our 3rd conversion rate, redzone rate, big plays suffer.
He had missed Njoku on what would have been a huge gain. Also had bad reads in the red zone.

I tend to agree. Kaaya has been great but he seems to be a different player on 3rd down and in the red zone. Do you think this is play calling or him not willing to take chances?

Considering this is probably the worst OLine we've had in 30 years I'd say he's doing pretty good even in 3rd down and RZ. Imagine what out percentages and statistics would be with an average college qb - scary!

He definitely looked good moving in the pocket. My only concern is that he may develop a bad habit of throwing off his back foot when it's not necessary due to our poor OL protection his year. He's done a great job improving from year one to year two and I think he'll improve even more from year 2 to year 3.

I've noticed this, too -- I'd argue that he's already developed that bad habit, although he was much better on Friday. Morris and Harris both did the same thing, too -- poor mechanics while throwing off their back feet. Morris could get away with it sometimes because of his arm strength... Kaaya probably can't longterm.

An improved OL and better QB coaching should fix that issue, hopefully. I like most of what I see with Kaaya, and I think he's going to be very, very good for us next year.

The problem with the offensive line is it's very young. Less than 20 starts combined coming into this season.

And?

FSU had a young O-Line.

Clemson had a young O-Line...IIRC, the commentator in that game said they had single digit starts between em'.

Whether it was coaching...talent...a lil' of both...they SUCKED!!!

Advertisement
I think he's on track to going in the 1st round. Of course, he needs to keep working on his skills, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go off the board early in the future....

Kid goes in 1st round, especially if he stays for the 4th year.

Assuming he actually gets protection next year, I would love to see the same jump in his progression through and making the right reads. That's really the missing piece for his total success.

I think he's on track to going in the 1st round. Of course, he needs to keep working on his skills, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go off the board early in the future....

Kid goes in 1st round, especially if he stays for the 4th year.

I would love to see him with real coaching. Above the neck he ranks with our best. He doesn't throw well on the run and I am not sure that can be learned. If it can then he will -- kid is completely self motivated and committed. We need to find one like him every year or two like we use to.

Best we've had since Brck Berlin and Dorsey.

Brock sucked. Even when he was playing good he was a liability. He **** the bed in '03 and in '04 he cost Miami an ACC Title and BCS bid with spectacular losses to UNV CLEM and VT.

CMP%: 58%
TD/INT 34/23

GTFO

Advertisement
Back