Kaaya's pocket presence

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This has been Kaaya's biggest area of improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. He did a terrific job yesterday of moving within the pocket, and even made a couple nice plays outside the pocket.

He took zero sacks yesterday, and is 16th in the country in sack percentage. That's amazing considering how often he gets hit.

Advertisement
I noticed this yesterday. Immense improvement. He still didn't just feel it like the elite QBs do, he had to look to see it, but he recognized it from both sides multiple times and was able to get out of harms way.

All lies. I've read on this site and Teh wEz that Kaaya sucks and is an average QB at best.

This has been Kaaya's biggest area of improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. He did a terrific job yesterday of moving within the pocket, and even made a couple nice plays outside the pocket.

He took zero sacks yesterday, and is 16th in the country in sack percentage. That's amazing considering how often he gets hit.

The TD to Scott was a Sunday play. He threw it at the right moment. Right before the hit but in time to hit Scott out in front. No coming back for it, and no jumping. Reach out and grab with your arms. Walton could have given a better block on that play but Kaaya rolled with it anyways.

Question though, would you say that's his biggest area of improvement, especially when his INT number was a staggering low at 4? That's decision making and to think he did that in 11 games is impressive.

Last edited:
He's better than a lot of our fans give him credit for. This o-line is garbage yet he was able to protect the ball all season and avoid the sack. He does need to improve his accuracy though. Some of his passes are well off the mark.

Advertisement
"lol what pocket?" - Brad Kaaya

Poor son of a bltch. 98% of college QBs playing behind this line would've been in the ground by now.

He does an amazing job of climbing the pocket and getting the ball out quick. Kid is working under an avalanche of defenders every time he drops back.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised as well.
Smart kid who has been obviously working on his craft.
Amazing how much underappreciated he is.
He is falling into the Brock Berlin mode where people ripped him and
then realize he wasn't that bad after we watch his successors play.

I thought he began looking down at the rush too much in the second half. Overall, though, I agree. He should be real special next year with the right OC.

04 berlin yes....03 berlin cost us a championship

Advertisement

04 berlin yes....03 Chud cost us a championship

I'd love to see Coley call for our offense to roll the pocket every now and then. Brads not a runner but he can move. Roll the pocket out right every now and then might help cover the shaky O-Line play.

Next time anyone thinks about criticizing the kid, lets think about that int number. This isn't the '01 team where you usually have great protection and a lead so there's no need to force anything. Also Jacory.

Advertisement
Lest we don't forget we have receivers with no speed to separate from DB's..His throws are way above average considering how slow our receivers are...

This is the first time I have seen him "step into the pocket" to avoid contact and gain a few more seconds. The kid is smart. He needs a real QB coach and he will be a first rounder.

Kaaya is still leaving to many plays on the field and as a result our 3rd conversion rate, redzone rate, big plays suffer.
He had missed Njoku on what would have been a huge gain. Also had bad reads in the red zone.

Advertisement
He's better than a lot of our fans give him credit for. This o-line is garbage yet he was able to protect the ball all season and avoid the sack. He does need to improve his accuracy though. Some of his passes are well off the mark.

The problem with the offensive line is it's very young. Less than 20 starts combined coming into this season. Danny had what 11 or 12, McDermott a couple before he got hurt, Darling a handful. If we're going to continue to zone then I'd like to see these guys lean up some. Just depends what the new guy is going to run. Should be a good line next year with everybody returning especially if they work hard in the off season.

Brad needs to pick up his red zone and third down play. He isn't mobile so that limits him somewhat. I also think the next guy has a lot to work with in these situations with our tight ends who are huge mismatches.

Brad should have an outstanding season next year with the right coaching.

He is doing a better job at throwing on the run this year. He still needs to improve in this category but he has gotten better. He needs to be a little more willing to take off and run at times. Sometimes I feel like he rather throw it away rather than run for 4 years and get out of bounds.

The play he made late in the 3rd quarter, 2nd down rolling to his right and hits Scott on the sideline for 20 yards was one of the biggest of the day. Pitt had just scored and had some momentum and we were on our 20 or so. That play leads to a 10 play drive that burns 5 minutes off the clock and nets a FG to stretch the lead to 16. Huge throw and catch.

Kaaya is still leaving to many plays on the field and as a result our 3rd conversion rate, redzone rate, big plays suffer.
He had missed Njoku on what would have been a huge gain. Also had bad reads in the red zone.

I tend to agree. Kaaya has been great but he seems to be a different player on 3rd down and in the red zone. Do you think this is play calling or him not willing to take chances?

Advertisement
Back