Kaaya V. Weldon Film

Two things excite me about a new QB this year:

- Wide open competition. No real incumbent so it's truly gonna be about who outplays who

- Favorable schedule/conditions. Complain about the cupcakes if you will, but we get two warm-ups, a trial by fire at Doak, and a pretty manageable schedule the rest of the way. Add to that an established RB, a senior-laden OL, and a potentially killer defense and there's no better time to break in a new QB.

Advertisement
i'm glad we have legit options . . . for a few years it was lean, luckily brad was solid

i do agree though, he is woefully under appreciated

It'll be the guy Richt thought was going to take the #2 spot before his injury. That's our starter next year.

As for who the better prospect was coming out of high school... I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams would have thought Brad Kaaya would have such bad feet. He throws a pretty pass, when he's not in nightmare mode where the monster is coming to get you and you can't move.

Weldon has been coached his whole life, which is pretty exciting to me. We'll see how he looks once he hits the field.

Perry could wow some people with his ability, but I don't get where all this athletic stuff comes from. He doesn't have the rushing stats showing he can run.

With this OL - agreed - need someone that can run for their life

You just need someone to make decisions. After Kaaya figured it out, we dominated. None of our last 5 games were close.

This. It's a huge bonus if our QB can run, but my number one hope is that we are starting a QB who can process what the defense is throwing at them, and run the offense efficiently, with good feel in the pocket so we aren't taking sacks or turning the ball over. We have weapons, and should have a good running game without relying on the QB. Any yardage we get from our QB running the ball is a bonus imho. And defenses would have to respect any QB we will start next year more than they did Kaaya when it comes to them running the ball. So I want the QB who can best run the offense.

We need a toguh leader to run our offense.

Brad is a quiet laid back kid. No killer instinct.

Advertisement
We need a toguh leader to run our offense.

Brad is a quiet laid back kid. No killer instinct.

Agreed. Not that I mind cool, calm, and collected, but Kaaya lacked a sense of killer instinct and leadership.

The only thing Weldon has on Kaaya as a prospect is running ability. Kaaya was better at navigating pressure in HS than Weldon was. Kaaya was superior as a passer in every way.

The only thing Weldon has on Kaaya as a prospect is running ability. Kaaya was better at navigating pressure in HS than Weldon was. Kaaya was superior as a passer in every way.

He sure wasn't in college . Superior passes don't consistently miss wide open wrs. I would judge Weldon when its live

- Wide open competition. No real incumbent so it's truly gonna be about who outplays who

- Favorable schedule/conditions. Complain about the cupcakes if you will, but we get two warm-ups, a trial by fire at Doak, and a pretty manageable schedule the rest of the way. Add to that an established RB, a senior-laden OL, and a potentially killer defense and there's no better time to break in a new QB.

Upvote. Emphasis on the competition aspect. Competition will only make us stronger.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I'm excited to see a QB that can actually backpedal out from under center.

These last 3 years have been.....s.l.o.w......

With this OL and scheme, Weldon - and I think he will start this fall - but Kaaya was the much better prospect.

Kaaya will go down as the most unappreciated QB in Miami history. Dude set records behind an Oline full of punks.
He had a good oline his first year but other than that they played bad.

And even that oline underperformed on my opinion. I always say you might want to reserve judgement on any of our kids that played under golden. You're giving golden and his staff too much credit by saying our guys weren't good

Advertisement
Still say its Rosiers job to lose. He only had one start but performed very well on the road in that game and had great presence on Free plays to throw downfield.

I like that we could potentially ride with 4 different guys. Allison, Rosier, Weldon and Perry. I do think Richt goes young so that knocks Rosier out of it unless he just out performs the others by a long shot. I just hope we pick one and don't play that QB battle in the regular season

Advertisement
Kaaya was better at navigating pressure in HS than Weldon was

I have no idea how you can get off saying this. Kaaya had amazing senior tape. I know I was a huge fan. I'm not sure he ever really faced much pressure though. He definitely didn't show pocket mobility (largely because he didn't have to so it was an unknown). He either had a clean pocket and threw the ball in rhythm or had pressure coming and through the ball before the pressure got there. Never in his highlight tape did he work the pocket to evade pressure and get more time. Kaaya was truly a statue

100%

Really REALLY need the OL to take the next step though.

It's hard to tell too much from a QB highlight tape. You don't really know what you have until they play a college game. Even non-contact practice can be deceiving. I've been guilty of overestimating Kaaya's pocket presence based on how he well he moved with a non-contact jersey on.

Based solely on clips, I thought Kaaya was a better passer. Weldon throws fastballs but doesn't seem to have the finesse and anticipation of Kaaya. Production-wise, Kaaya has a big edge although Weldon plays good competition.

Perry is different because he shows outstanding arm talent, production and athletic ability. He has the velocity to make stick throws and the anticipation and touch to make bucket throws. It's a highlight tape, but his accuracy and ball placement look good. Weldon is the better runner (stronger, faster) but Perry has unreal quickness to evade the rush. I also like his decision-making as a runner- he scrambles to throw and is quick to slide or get out of bounds if he takes off.

Overall, I'd put him and Kaaya in the same tier with Weldon below them. But we won't really know until they come under fire.

[HUDL]video/3/3293951/5721e61190eead5d90ed3791[/HUDL]

Kaaya will go down as the most unappreciated QB in Miami history. Dude set records behind an Oline full of punks.

It's hard to tell too much from a QB highlight tape. You don't really know what you have until they play a college game. Even non-contact practice can be deceiving. I've been guilty of overestimating Kaaya's pocket presence based on how he well he moved with a non-contact jersey on.

Based solely on clips, I thought Kaaya was a better passer. Weldon throws fastballs but doesn't seem to have the finesse and anticipation of Kaaya. Production-wise, Kaaya has a big edge although Weldon plays good competition.

Perry is different because he shows outstanding arm talent, production and athletic ability. He has the velocity to make stick throws and the anticipation and touch to make bucket throws. It's a highlight tape, but his accuracy and ball placement look good. Weldon is the better runner (stronger, faster) but Perry has unreal quickness to evade the rush. I also like his decision-making as a runner- he scrambles to throw and is quick to slide or get out of bounds if he takes off.

Overall, I'd put him and Kaaya in the same tier with Weldon below them. But we won't really know until they come under fire.

[HUDL]video/3/3293951/5721e61190eead5d90ed3791[/HUDL]

Kaaya played better competition than weldon and it isn't close. Played in the highest classification in cali I believe and he beat a talented Serra team that had multiple USC and other PAC 12 prospects on there in the championship game including adoree Jackson

Advertisement
Back