Juwan Mitchell, Texas LB - possible next portal take?

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Per Rivals this morning, Mitchell says the entire staff has watched his film. He has been in touch with Bob Shoop who told him he is at the top of their board should they take a portal LB. Mitchell is waiting to hear from Manny this week- they are evaluating what the plan will be at LB. Mitchell plans on making his decision by the weekend- sight unseen if it's the Canes. He declined to name other schools he is considering.

"I definitely have been in tune with what Miami needs,” Mitchell said. “I realize that (LB) is a great hole for them in the season. I see everything else they have, their roster is loaded, but for some reason they have a hole at middle linebacker. Everybody knows Miami needs a linebacker, and it’s a perfect fit for me.”

The 6-foot-1, 225-pounder adds that “I’m going to go where it’s the best fit for me. The world will know where I’m going by the end of the week.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah idk , we need a MLB. We can be okay at weak side with what we got

He's 6-1 and 230 and played inside at Texas. He's not a WILL. This kid is a 5th year college kid with 2 years experience at Texas, including being their leading tackler last year, playing inside. He'd be a massive upgrade to anyone we have at that spot. This kid playing next to Smith/Brooks on the weakside, with Gil/Carter around the ball at Striker makes this an incredibly athletic and EXCELLENT back 7.

Get this kid now.

Idk if this guy is worth losing a 22 recruit for him. He's played alot of big boy football so thats a plus. I just think if we hold off we can do better in my opinion.

You realize we're like 2-3 kids away from being REALLY good this year, right?

This dude could fill a massive hole in an otherwise excellent defense. 22 recruiting doesn't mean **** if you don't win in 21.

Advertisement
You realize we're like 2-3 kids away from being REALLY good this year, right?

This dude could fill a massive hole in an otherwise excellent defense. 22 recruiting doesn't mean **** if you don't win in 21.
Yeah I didn't get it either. A ready to play MLB or some mid 3-star WR we would take with the extra spot. No great player we legit have a shot at will be turned away because Mitchell took up an initial counter.

I do realize what you're saying but I think experience can sometimes be overrated. He seems like a guy you wont have to teach the tunes to but he's not going to give blow you away either. I would prefer a guy that is a draftable player in scouts eyes. But if the staff think he's the best option then so be it.

Idk if this guy is worth losing a 22 recruit for him. He's played alot of big boy football so thats a plus. I just think if we hold off we can do better in my opinion.
I think it is when you consider the lack of skill positions locally this year. DE, LB, DT, even OL are all stronger in Fla this year than RB, WR and CB which is odd. I would rather have the one year rental proven commodity than miss on a big fish and have to settle on a developmental tyric martin/tre johnson type just to fill out the class that we all know will never play a down here.

Advertisement
I think I read on Rivals Kansas State & Tennessee are his other finalists. He's apparently visited K State but coming here or Knoxville would be sight unseen commitments.

I’ve been told ya for a couple months expect a Mike out of the portal. They have two guys in mind but that was before the latest guys to come out. There’s more guys yet to hit the portal so I’m not sure how big of a hurry they’re in. They’re waiting on the 1a , they also have a backup plan that’s a younger player. It’s just a matter of what the first guy does and who comes out after he gives his decision. There’s options. This likely won’t be the only portal pickup either ( different position).

They’ve reached out to multiple kids including this one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back