Juwan Mitchell, Texas LB - possible next portal take?

Advertisement
I’ve been told ya for a couple months expect a Mike out of the portal. They have two guys in mind but that was before the latest guys to come out. There’s more guys yet to hit the portal so I’m not sure how big of a hurry they’re in. They’re waiting on the 1a , they also have a backup plan that’s a younger player. It’s just a matter of what the first guy does and who comes out after he gives his decision. There’s options. This likely won’t be the only portal pickup either.

They’ve reached out to multiple kids including this one.

So the 2 dudes you've been alluding to the past few weeks, neither were Mitchell, correct?

This guy sounds flaky......

For the second time in his career, Texas linebacker Juwan Mitchell has entered the NCAA transfer portal. A source told Horns247 on Wednesday that Mitchell, who entered the portal on Jan. 29, 2020, only to pull his name out on Feb. 3, is in the portal after rumblings that his time with the Longhorns was coming to an end.

Horns247’s Chip Brown reported on March 24, the day after Texas went through its first spring practice under head coach Steve Sarkisian, that Mitchell “ was telling teammates he was leaving the team.”

“Mitchell has been struggling academically,”
Brown reported based on information from a source with knowledge of the situation. “(The source) added it's unclear if Mitchell is being forced to take time away from the team or if this is Mitchell's decision.

Ahead of the Alamo Bowl, a game Mitchell wasn’t able to start due to a targeting penalty levied against him in the team’s 69-31 road win over Kansas State in what turned out to be the regular-season finale,

From horns 247:

maje12 avatar

Posted on Jan 2nd, 9:23 PM,
The guy has been a head case since he got here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ve been told ya for a couple months expect a Mike out of the portal. They have two guys in mind but that was before the latest guys to come out. There’s more guys yet to hit the portal so I’m not sure how big of a hurry they’re in. They’re waiting on the 1a , they also have a backup plan that’s a younger player. It’s just a matter of what the first guy does and who comes out after he gives his decision. There’s options. This likely won’t be the only portal pickup either ( different position).

They’ve reached out to multiple kids including this one.
LB and pass rusher..maybe a CB because Blades situation still seems up in the air and Marcus Clarke is injured I believe

Advertisement
Idk if this guy is worth losing a 22 recruit for him. He's played alot of big boy football so thats a plus. I just think if we hold off we can do better in my opinion.
I totally understand this concern. However losing a 22 recruit the way the game is today with the transfer portal is not the same way as it used to be.
If we win 10 or 11 games and show up against Bama because of the team we have on site right now then we could potentially punch our ticket into a talented class for 22 and also probably get kids out of the transfer portal that have more than one year left of eligibility.
Clemson hasn’t had to use the transfer portal because they retain so much talent. I think last year they only had like 16 or 17 total kids in the class.
we shouldn’t be concerned with a top-five class if some of our best players are from the transfer portal.
so while a few years ago we were relying on the transfer Porter to salvage our class I think we can use the transfer portal to augment our class and make the team better.
Alabama already has a transfer portal and it is their second or third stringers that are five stars. But even Sabin is taking look at that Samoan guy from Tennessee.

Advertisement
Neither is over half of the Alabama roster.
and neither were most of the dudes that were on all of our national championship teams.
I’m not saying he’s a better taking some of the juice in the transfer portal but this guy is not a jag either
NFL material. Guys think Ben Boulware or James Skalski were NFL material? Go get a solid to good college player. You guys turning down Mike Pinckney if he had eligibility remaining for this season? He aint an NFL player either.

As far as academic concerns they're not taking him if he can't get in and stay eligible so I'm not worried about it.

Advertisement
Back