Justin Flowe

Neither was Sean Taylor, but what's your point?

The point was that players like that wouldn't slip through the cracks like they did back then.

Both had outstanding statistical numbers and both played multiple sports. Reed was all state twice, 7 INT"s his senior year, 3 kick returns, a lot of tackles, and played some offense. Sean, crazy offensive output, etc.

Camps and with the internet access ability of today, they're both monster recruits. Why LSU didn't go after Reed, I don't know, nor do I know who they took instead. Back then there were more politics involved than today.
Sean Taylor was a highly rated and sought-after recruit. He played all over the field at Gulliver and had terrific film at multiple positions. He was not even remotely under the radar.

Advertisement
this aint right Sean Taylor was highly rated. like the top ath and top 25 in the state.

I'm talking as a national recruit. He wasn't recruited like that. He would've had every top team in the land after him today.

There was barely rankings back then. Not at all like today. There were some national team awards and they were very hit or miss.

Reed racked up some awards, top district, 2x all-state, etc. He didn't make a parade all american list.

That's why when I crack up every time someone says one was a 2nor 3 star, it wasn't like that then. Both had accolades, why did LSU and a bunch of others overlook Reed.

I'm talking as a national recruit. He wasn't recruited like that. He would've had every top team in the land after him today.

There was barely rankings back then. Not at all like today. There were some national team awards and they were very hit or miss.

Reed racked up some awards, top district, 2x all-state, etc. He didn't make a parade all american list.

That's why when I crack up every time someone says one was a 2nor 3 star, it wasn't like that then. Both had accolades, why did LSU and a bunch of others overlook Reed.
ahh maybe for the same reason our fans on the old grassy site were ****ed when we signed the 178lb DB that ran a 4.7

I was going to say - the dude had the state of Florida record for most TDs in a season until Teabow broke it. Also...

Taylor was considered the No. 1 prospect in Miami-Dade County by the Miami Herald. He was also rated the nation's No. 1 skill athlete and an All-American by Super Prep. Taylor was also an Orlando Sentinel Super Southern Team selection, the No. 1 athlete on the Florida Times-Union Super 75 list and rated the No. 1 player in Florida by The Gainesville Sun.

I don’t know why people think that because the internet sites weren’t ranking players nobody was. There used to be magazines that did this, and even back then few of these guys really got missed. I’m sure people knew who Ed Reed was, it’s just that LSU passed on him. Doesn’t mean he was an unknown.

Advertisement
I believe they took Ryan Clark. I've heard him mention being happy that LSU didn't go after E Reed bc it gave him the shot to go there. Not sure if that's exactly how it went down, but it makes sense.
Curtis Johnson/Chuck Pagano are the reason Ed came to UM.....Curtis was a Louisiana native and knew all the hidden gems (Reed and Wayne)

I don’t know why people think that because the internet sites weren’t ranking players nobody was. There used to be magazines that did this, and even back then few of these guys really got missed. I’m sure people knew who Ed Reed was, it’s just that LSU passed on him. Doesn’t mean he was an unknown.
This X1,000

They DID pass on him...as did a plethora of other teams....same for Wayne...

Advertisement
Taylor was well known and recruited, Reggie Wayne was a 3-4 star

Last edited:
The magazine I remember was Border Wars. Ed was ranked as a 4 star wide receiver his senior year by that magazine. I had a copy for many years before it was lost in a move.
Ed never played WR in HS,...He was an All State DB....and KO/PR....he saw very limited action at QB and RB.....and of course a Track & Field standout....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
sir, this is not how this works. You are poo-pooing on the myths. We must keep this going at all cost.

Taylor was well known and recruited, Reggie Wayne was a 3-4 star
Stars didn’t exist back then… Online recruiting services wasn’t around pre-2000/2001.

When people say Taylor went under the radar they are refereeing to a NATIONAL level. He was a local legend. Antrel Rolle was the one getting All-American honors, even though everyone in Dade knew Sean was 10-1 the best player down here.

Tom Lemming did a top100 for the 01 class and Rolle made it along with Willie Jones, Gore and ST didn’t crack the top100. For those that are gonna say I’m full of s*** here’s the link.

Advertisement
Back