Justin Flowe

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t know if anyone passed on Wayne. I think he just wanted to come here. Reggie Wayne was a blue chip All American.
No....he was All State twice...and a Honorable Mention All American as a Sr...His Dad played for Grambling St if I remember correctly...and a Ton of College teams passed on him...Curtis Johnson is the main reason he came to UM....

Stars didn’t exist back then… Online recruiting services wasn’t around pre-2000/2001.

When people say Taylor went under the radar they are refereeing to a NATIONAL level. He was a local legend. Antrel Rolle was the one getting All-American honors, even though everyone in Dade knew Sean was 10-1 the best player down here.

Tom Lemming did a top100 for the 01 class and Rolle made it along with Willie Jones, Gore and ST didn’t crack the top100. For those that are gonna say I’m full of s*** here’s the link.

Online? ONLINE?? If you kids didn't pay Bobby Burton to send you four magazines and 40 faxes, or figure out a way to get Tom Lemming on the phone to ask him about Miami prospects, or call a few 900 # recruiting hotlines when your parents were asleep, then sit down, I have some stories to tell y'all. ****, getting the CaneSport newspaper every two weeks (cruelty, mailed bulk) with its Miami recruiting lists was the best thing ever.

The godfather of college football recruiting rankings, though?

That would be Joe Terranova. Google him.

"During a recent phone call from his home in southern California, Allen Wallace picked up an old SuperPrep issue that ranked 1,218 different prospects in some form or fashion — the Elite 50, the JUCO 100, All-America teams and the like."

Kids were ranked all the way back before Ed Reed even, it started in the 70s, but got popping in the early 90s. Bobby Burton's National Recruiting Advisor out of Texas (NRA lol), Max Emfinger, Phil Grosz, Tom Lemming, Allen Wallace, Bill Buchalter... whether it was numerical, or stars, or just rankings, they all quantified where each kid was in the pecking order. You can easily apply a star ranking to anyone going back to the early to mid-90's by where they were ranked in today's terms. Which is why anyone who knows what they are talking about and can count a bit understand why journalists and people say Ed Reed was a 2-star. Because he was. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, because they know not what they speak of.

Check out these, mags, and look at Lemming's QB list (last pic). Some of the names there will blow your minds. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Advertisement
Online? ONLINE?? If you kids didn't pay Bobby Burton to send you four magazines and 40 faxes, or figure out a way to get Tom Lemming on the phone to ask him about Miami prospects, or call a few 900 # recruiting hotlines when your parents were asleep, then sit down, I have some stories to tell y'all. ****, getting the CaneSport newspaper every two weeks (cruelty, mailed bulk) with its Miami recruiting lists was the best thing ever.

"During a recent phone call from his home in southern California, Allen Wallace picked up an old SuperPrep issue that ranked 1,218 different prospects in some form or fashion — the Elite 50, the JUCO 100, All-America teams and the like."

Kids were ranked all the way back before Ed Reed even, it started in the 70s, but got popping in the early 90s. Bobby Burton's National Recruiting Advisor out of Texas (NRA lol), Max Emfinger, Phil Grosz, Tom Lemming, Allen Wallace, Bill Buchalter... whether it was numerical, or stars, or just rankings, they all quantified where each kid was in the pecking order. You can easily apply a star ranking to anyone going back to the early to mid-90's by where they were ranked in today's terms. Which is why anyone who knows what they are talking about and can count a bit understand why journalists and people say Ed Reed was a 2-star. Because he was. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, because they know not what they speak of.

Check out these, mags, and look at Lemming's QB list (last pick). Some of the names there will blow your minds. :)

View attachment 180009

View attachment 180010
View attachment 180011
This brings back a lot of old memories
I guess I realy am an old guy.

Check out these, mags, and look at Lemming's QB list (last pick). Some of the names there will blow your minds. :)

View attachment 180009

View attachment 180010
View attachment 180011

Check out these, mags, and look at Lemming's QB list (last pic). Some of the names there will blow your minds. :)

View attachment 180009

View attachment 180010
View attachment 180011
Nuff respect...I had no Idea Justin Fuente was a top QB coming out of high school, I remember seeing Dan Kendra in the Leach gym at FSU leg pressing to the point where he couldnt put any more weights on the machine so he had a girl sit on the top. Mondrel Fulcher was a QB coming out?? Wow I remember him as a Tight End...

Advertisement
Nuff respect...I had no Idea Justin Fuente was a top QB coming out of high school, I remember seeing Dan Kendra in the Leach gym at FSU leg pressing to the point where he couldnt put any more weights on the machine so he had a girl sit on the top. Mondrel Fulcher was a QB coming out?? Wow I remember him as a Tight End...

Things that pop to me.

Brock Huard, UW family dynasty, his son is the QB there now.

Bobby Sabelhaus had a huge arm and was a massive Michigan -UF battle. Florida got him, Spurrier ruined him, and Michigan had to scramble last minute to find a QB and offered some lesser-rated kid named Tom Brady.

Justin Fuente, wow me too.

Dan Kendra, another FSU bust.

Quincy Woods was such a nice recruit, I remember thinking he was the guy. Huge USC bust.

Culpepper ends up at UCF cause of grades.

Justin Wilcox, who is from and went to Oregon, is now the HC at Cal, and turned down Oregon after Mario left.

Yep, Mondrial Fulcher, Miami tight end was a top 10 combo QB.

Shaun King ended up at lowly Tulane, and was a 2nd round NFL pick (kicked around for 5 years, didn't have an impact).

Sean Taylor's class was the first one I followed beginning to end. He was probably the most talked about local guy in the class, but like others said, he wasn't really recruited like that in retrospect. Nowadays with Hudl, social media, camp circuits, and 7v7 he'd be a 5 star all everything by the end of his junior year.

I always heard Reggie was more of a known commodity than Reed was.

Things that pop to me.

Brock Huard, UW family dynasty, his son is the QB there now.

Bobby Sabelhaus had a huge arm and was a massive Michigan -UF battle. Florida got him, Spurrier ruined him, and Michigan had to scramble last minute to find a QB and offered some lesser-rated kid named Tom Brady.

Justin Fuente, wow me too.

Dan Kendra, another FSU bust.

Quincy Woods was such a nice recruit, I remember thinking he was the guy. Huge USC bust.

Culpepper ends up at UCF cause of grades.

Justin Wilcox, who is from and went to Oregon, is now the HC at Cal, and turned down Oregon after Mario left.

Yep, Mondrial Fulcher, Miami tight end was a top 10 combo QB.

Shaun King ended up at lowly Tulane, and was a 2nd round NFL pick (kicked around for 5 years, didn't have an impact).
Dan Kendra was super overrated. Should’ve went to Nebraska or someone and played in that style offense. Or should’ve just pursued a career in professional powerlifting. He wasn’t a true QB… great athlete though.

Advertisement
Stars didn’t exist back then… Online recruiting services wasn’t around pre-2000/2001.

When people say Taylor went under the radar they are refereeing to a NATIONAL level. He was a local legend. Antrel Rolle was the one getting All-American honors, even though everyone in Dade knew Sean was 10-1 the best player down here.

Tom Lemming did a top100 for the 01 class and Rolle made it along with Willie Jones, Gore and ST didn’t crack the top100. For those that are gonna say I’m full of s*** here’s the link.

So you think nobody outside Florida paid attention to kids who weren’t in the top100?

I really think people are underestimating how much effort went into recruiting even 25 years ago. Sure, you spent most of your time/energy in your own or nearby states, but the big boys weren’t ignoring Florida or saying, if you aren’t in the top 100 I’m not interested. People saw Miami’s success with SFLA kids and were paying attention.

Also, Craphonso is a really rough name to give a kid.

So you think nobody outside Florida paid attention to kids who weren’t in the top100?

I really think people are underestimating how much effort went into recruiting even 25 years ago. Sure, you spent most of your time/energy in your own or nearby states, but the big boys weren’t ignoring Florida or saying, if you aren’t in the top 100 I’m not interested. People saw Miami’s success with SFLA kids
I don’t know if anyone passed on Wayne. I think he just wanted to come here. Reggie Wayne was a blue chip All American.
Yeah, that’s the other thing. Just because a kid only chose 1 school doesn’t mean other schools weren't after him. I know most of you are new to recruiting, but it turns out HS kids can actually be recruited by multiple college teams.

Advertisement
Back