Just to give some perspective on how loaded this South Florida class is...

Advertisement
Brooks and Tate hurt.
Brooks doesn’t hurt much to me. Tate does just cuz he would’ve changed the dynamics of the entire OL.

Brooks isn’t as good as Cooper, Ridley, Jeudy group IMO. Doesn’t seem like he’s as explosive as those guys were. That being said, I’m sure he’ll have a successful career and end up in the league. Brinson has the same, if not higher, ceiling in my eyes, but the state of our program puts a bigger question mark on if he reaches that.

In all fairness we haven’t signed a blow-your-mind, future day 1 prospect since maybe duke johnson, and even then that didn’t pan out how it was supposed to. We recruited a ton of em (Jerry Juedy, Sony Michel, Pat Surtain jr, Devonta Smith) but we haven’t landed any of them, This class feels different, it’s the first time we’ve landed two of the top players in the nation at their position and if I’m not mistaken the first time we’ve landed the two top players in Florida.
Chaney is a future day 1 prospect

Advertisement
The class below would have a total score of 302.47 and rank 3rd in the country, right behind Bama and OSU. It may be awhile before we see a local class this stacked again.

What's the point? This was a great year to have success locally. You never get them all, but there is a lot of bold on this list. And with Leonard Taylor and James Williams, that includes arguably the two best players in the entire state:

QB- Santino Marucci
RB- Thad Franklin
RB- Amari Daniels
WR- Jacorey Brooks
WR- Romello Brinson
WR- Brashard Smith
WR- Jacolby George
TE- Kahlil Brantley

OL- Marcus Tate
OL- Laurence Seymore
OL- Michael McClaughlin
OL- Ryan Rodriguez

DE- Dallas Turner
DE- Jabari Ishmael
DE- Pat Payton
DT- Leonard Taylor
DT- Tyreak Sapp
DT- Savion Collins
LB- Terrence Lewis
LB- Jaydon Hood
S- James WIlliams
S- Kamren Kinchens

S- Corey Collier
CB- Jason Marshall
K- Andres Borregales
Only thing that bothers me is not getting Jason Marshall and maybe Jacory Brooks, though we got good wrs.

Advertisement
Good class with some Elite upside players, but missed on a premier CB & a top tier LB.

I still believe overly homogeneous classes can backfire down the line, it’s understandable for this class considering circumstances of C19, but for the future whether we want to or not, we will have to recruit more nationally in order to have sustained success.

There’s not one single winning program in college football who solely recruit in their own state, even the talent rich states like Texas, Cali, Georgia, Louisiana etc, their top schools in those states do not just strictly recruit in their backyard.

I agree with going 95% local for this class, but for future classes, have to expand it, it’s just the science of the game now.

Last edited:
Good class with some Elite upside players, but missed on a premier CB & a top tier LB.

I still believe overly homogeneous classes can backfire down the line, it’s understandable for this class considering circumstances of C19, but for the future whether we want to or not, we will have to recruit more nationally in order to have sustained success.

There’s not one single winning program in college football who solely recruit in their own state, even the talent rich states like Texas, Cali, Georgia, Louisiana etc, their top schools in those states do not just strictly recruit in their backyard.

I agree with going 95% local for this class, but for future classes, have to expand it, it’s just the science of the game now.
To be fair, the 20’ class had quite a few OOS kids.

Yeah yeah, we've heard this song & dance before. Then they come here & can't learn playbook, still built like twigs, low iq, or just plain old suck. Our best player from South Florida this year was Mike Harley. Sorry I'm in show me don't tell me mode from today forward. Been burnt enough over the last decade by 7 on 7 divas.

To give perspective:
Randy Shannon 1st class (#13)
Randy Shannon 2nd class (#1) Florida Boys

Al Golden 1st class (#33)
Al Golden 2nd class (#10) Florida Boys

Mark Richt 1st class (#22)
Mark Richt 2nd class (#12)

Manny Diaz 1st class (#16)
Manny Diaz 2nd class (#12....for now) Florida Boys

As mentioned, I’m very happy w/ our class, but I’ve been happy with our classes often. We have the ingredients; we’ve had the ingredients, but we’ve been touting each class as the savior or the steak to put the ingredients on. I’m wait to see what we do w these boys, but I’m getting tired each season some poster comes on here bashing So Fla kids calling them undisciplined w/ low IQs, yet So Fla kids go everywhere else & absolutely flourish.

Show me. Nice class, but now show me. 12 yrs of the same optimism. Show me.

To be fair, the 20’ class had quite a few OOS kids.
8 to be exact;

Corey Flagg - already one of the top 2 LB’s on the team, Tirek Austin-Cave - Didn’t get many reps but shown flashes of much needed speed & athleticism, Keyshawn Smith - Didn’t get many reps but is legit probably the fastest WR on the roster, then Dunson, TVD, Daz, Quentin Williams & Chris Washington, all of whom are TBD obviously, but QWill, Dunson & Chris Washington show some promise. I was never high on Daz & was actually vehemently against taking him, but we’ll see & TVD remains to be seen depending on if King comes back or not.

It’s just about identifying the right guys, all the best players on our team right now are OOS prospects, King, Phillips, Roche, Brevin, Bolden, Zion, Nesta is the best DT, but JHH from NY is a close 2nd.

At skill positions like WR, RB, S, etc, I definitely agree with staying home & getting the best local players possible, but at QB & TE we’re a National brand & can attract really good players from all over at those spots. CB is interesting, because South FL & FLA in general produce very good to great Corners every single class, we just for whatever reason can never sign any, I’m not against going more National looking for CB’s if the current staff isn’t improved at that spot.

DE & DT should be primarily local as well, we’ve had good success getting top tier players at DE & in this class hauled in the best DT we’ve signed in a decade, the 22 class is also loaded locally at DE & DT, so no issue there.

LB is another interesting case study, locally South FL does produce some good LB’s annually, we just struggle landing them & when we do we never develop them, I’m leaning towards going more national at LB, however the 22 class is stacked at LB, especially with a kid like Bissainthe who’s a must get, but that’s another area where the staff can’t stop falling over themselves missing on top local prospects.

I guess the real solution is for the staff to just eval & recruit better lol.

Advertisement
Blake Baker does suck though, even the over the top outrageous fans are right about that, there’s no argument to be made for him otherwise.

But the rest of your point I agree with.

The University of MIAMI just broke an NCAA record on defense for being totally lifeless against the run. The HC was our DC and couldn’t figure out how to adjust to 3-5 plays.

MIAMI. LMAO. 62-800

Baker isn’t the only one that sucks.

To give perspective:
Randy Shannon 1st class (#13)
Randy Shannon 2nd class (#1) Florida Boys

Al Golden 1st class (#33)
Al Golden 2nd class (#10) Florida Boys

Mark Richt 1st class (#22)
Mark Richt 2nd class (#12)

Manny Diaz 1st class (#16)
Manny Diaz 2nd class (#12....for now) Florida Boys

As mentioned, I’m very happy w/ our class, but I’ve been happy with our classes often. We have the ingredients; we’ve had the ingredients, but we’ve been touting each class as the savior or the steak to put the ingredients on. I’m wait to see what we do w these boys, but I’m getting tired each season some poster comes on here bashing So Fla kids calling them undisciplined w/ low IQs, yet So Fla kids go everywhere else & absolutely flourish.

Show me. Nice class, but now show me. 12 yrs of the same optimism. Show me.

It’s not the kids.

Coaching matters.

8 to be exact;

Corey Flagg - already one of the top 2 LB’s on the team, Tirek Austin-Cave - Didn’t get many reps but shown flashes of much needed speed & athleticism, Keyshawn Smith - Didn’t get many reps but is legit probably the fastest WR on the roster, then Dunson, TVD, Daz, Quentin Williams & Chris Washington, all of whom are TBD obviously, but QWill, Dunson & Chris Washington show some promise. I was never high on Daz & was actually vehemently against taking him, but we’ll see & TVD remains to be seen depending on if King comes back or not.

It’s just about identifying the right guys, all the best players on our team right now are OOS prospects, King, Phillips, Roche, Brevin, Bolden, Zion, Nesta is the best DT, but JHH from NY is a close 2nd.

At skill positions like WR, RB, S, etc, I definitely agree with staying home & getting the best local players possible, but at QB & TE we’re a National brand & can attract really good players from all over at those spots. CB is interesting, because South FL & FLA in general produce very good to great Corners every single class, we just for whatever reason can never sign any, I’m not against going more National looking for CB’s if the current staff isn’t improved at that spot.

DE & DT should be primarily local as well, we’ve had good success getting top tier players at DE & in this class hauled in the best DT we’ve signed in a decade, the 22 class is also loaded locally at DE & DT, so no issue there.

LB is another interesting case study, locally South FL does produce some good LB’s annually, we just struggle landing them & when we do we never develop them, I’m leaning towards going more national at LB, however the 22 class is stacked at LB, especially with a kid like Bissainthe who’s a must get, but that’s another area where the staff can’t stop falling over themselves missing on top local prospects.

If they actually ever truly develop a beast of a LB - the results would recruit itself.

Advertisement
8 to be exact;

I agree with you. Miami has a good history of recruiting QB’s and skilled position players in states like California, Texas, Jersey.

Yeah yeah, we've heard this song & dance before. Then they come here & can't learn playbook, still built like twigs, low iq, or just plain old suck. Our best player from South Florida this year was Mike Harley. Sorry I'm in show me don't tell me mode from today forward. Been burnt enough over the last decade by 7 on 7 divas.
This.

Watched a team loaded with south Florida kids flat out quit against UNC

best players are OOS kids currently

James Williams has a chance to be special. I really hope he doesn’t get ruined since we have f’in Banda teaching him smh. Just hold on JW, hopefully a real coach will come before you leave.

James Williams has a chance to be special. I really hope he doesn’t get ruined since we have f’in Banda teaching him smh. Just hold on JW, hopefully a real coach will come before you leave.
I remember feeling this way about Kenny Philips and then Jaquon Johnson.

Advertisement
Back