Just to clear up this insanity....

You can watch it in an NFL stadium...for free.

U got my plane tix, hotel and rental car covered then pimp? I'm ready to board on-call.

LMK genius.

Real talk tho. We have been a wreck with the whole spring game thing and it's ability to help promote the progrum since Gorlden and his "whatever the fvck that was" spring game schit.

This is an opportunity lost.

Advertisement
U got my plane tix, hotel and rental car covered then pimp? I'm ready to board on-call.

LMK genius.

Real talk tho. We have been a wreck with the whole spring game thing and it's ability to help promote the progrum since Gorlden and his "whatever the fvck that was" spring game schit.

I agree it would be better to televise it. But it's not as big a deal as you're trying to make it out to be.

LMK genius.

Sack up or don’t *****. This pay my way pathetic tough guy stuff. Entitled.

This is part of the growing pains. First year back at HRS, first year of a new way of doing things.

Either bleed orange and green, or don’t.

The guys saying give me what you can, and thanks, no probs. The guys that say **** you and pay for my airfare and hotel room to the ppl goin* to the game... I say **** you back.

Even if it's true, the narrative about MIAMI not getting butts in the seats hasn't and won't change. What's the worst case scenario for the Spring game looking light on TV? Does it take away from the product on the field? Add to it? It doesn't.

I believe, however, the crowd is going to be around 20-25k

Who the **** is that in your avi? Looks like the love child of DBC and Pablo Escobar.

I’ll be thrilled if we even get 15k there.

I think it will be around 5k. Maybe 10k. Max.

But I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree it would be better to televise it. But it's not as big a deal as you're trying to make it out to be.

It is to every fan who can't make it to the stadium... and every recruit outside of South Florida.

This isn’t it, but just from an optics viewpoint, here’s my 2 cents.

Televise this thing, and it makes about ten guys on this board happy.

Then, it goes out on the airwaves and you have a 65,000 seat stadium with about 5,000 people there. At most.

And don’t tell me they need to promote it. They could spend a million dollars to promote it, and you might get another 5,000 people there. Maybe.

Why so few people? Because Miami fans.

Somebody do a head count tomorrow. I hope I’m wrong. I say about 5k.

So now you’ve got this embarrassing looking spring game out there, where in the top P5 schools you get sellouts, or at least 20-30k in the stands.

Just a little food for thought.

Does having that out there help our image or in recruiting. I mean, it’ll get out anyway, but still...

I am not disagreeing with anything you say, but allow me to present a counter-balancing view.

First, make this a UM production. Don't let some secret-Gaytor-fan cameraman working for Sunshine take several opportunities to pan around a near-empty stadium. We get it, we are not some SEC program in an area of the country that gets some snow. Yes, this is not the first chance for SEC fans to come out of their hibernation and get some sunshine on their lily-white skin. Give the film students of UM a chance to work behind the cameras to film the action, not the empty seats.

Second, combat the "mom-and-pop" reputation (fair or not) by acting like the "big boys" act. Treat this as an event. Market this as an event, even if the first few years do not result in a huge bump in attendance. Take advantage of the parking lots, set up volleyball courts, make it a big "beach party" event that is free to the public. Make it an all-day event (outside the stadium). Give tours of the stadium. ****, give tours of the locker rooms, etc. There are parts of the stadium that an "everyday Joe" will likely never see. Seriously, as a guy who once worked for NASCAR, I can tell you first-hand how much young kids love it when they get to see all of these cool things they never get to see, when they get to meet the athletes, when they get to tell their friends what they did over the weekend.

Third, make the video available on every platform possible. Heck, put it on MySpace, I don't care, as long as everyone who wants to see it can see it. Even broadcast the footage of what people are doing outside the stadium. Clempson can have their slide, we've actually got real people of many different cultures all enjoying a day in the sun and bonding over UM football. Remember how that Delta Gamma sorority rush video went viral and made everyone outside of South Florida wish that they could go to UM? Do the same thing with UM football.

I'm just tired of some people who respond with the "show up for the Spring Game in person or else don't complain" mentality.

I am not disagreeing with anything you say, but allow me to present a counter-balancing view.

First, make this a UM production. Don't let some secret-Gaytor-fan cameraman working for Sunshine take several opportunities to pan around a near-empty stadium. We get it, we are not some SEC program in an area of the country that gets some snow. Yes, this is not the first chance for SEC fans to come out of their hibernation and get some sunshine on their lily-white skin. Give the film students of UM a chance to work behind the cameras to film the action, not the empty seats.

Second, combat the "mom-and-pop" reputation (fair or not) by acting like the "big boys" act. Treat this as an event. Market this as an event, even if the first few years do not result in a huge bump in attendance. Take advantage of the parking lots, set up volleyball courts, make it a big "beach party" event that is free to the public. Make it an all-day event (outside the stadium). Give tours of the stadium. ****, give tours of the locker rooms, etc. There are parts of the stadium that an "everyday Joe" will likely never see. Seriously, as a guy who once worked for NASCAR, I can tell you first-hand how much young kids love it when they get to see all of these cool things they never get to see, when they get to meet the athletes, when they get to tell their friends what they did over the weekend.

Third, make the video available on every platform possible. Heck, put it on MySpace, I don't care, as long as everyone who wants to see it can see it. Even broadcast the footage of what people are doing outside the stadium. Clempson can have their slide, we've actually got real people of many different cultures all enjoying a day in the sun and bonding over UM football. Remember how that Delta Gamma sorority rush video went viral and made everyone outside of South Florida wish that they could go to UM? Do the same thing with UM football.

I'm just tired of some people who respond with the "show up for the Spring Game in person or else don't complain" mentality.

You’re not wrong in any of this. But this is the first time for us, essentially. Give them a chance to figure out what it looks like this first time. If they don’t do it better next year, then *****. There is definitely an angle to look at this and see there may be some wisdom behind their choices, and also maybe some things they should have anticipated and done better on. But it’s ridiculously unfair to compare to a land grant with an enrollment of 30k that has held their spring game on campus for decades. Those who can’t make it and are frustrated at the lack of coverage, I get you. I’m driving 7 hours each way to go. I’ll give my best info on it that I can. But there’s also some whiny *** *****ing on here too.

To those negging me, I need more balance in my neg/rep ratio, so to you I say this...

v0pL3_s-200x150.gif

Advertisement
Who the **** is that in your avi? Looks like the love child of DBC and Pablo Escobar.

I’ll be thrilled if we even get 15k there.

I think it will be around 5k. Maybe 10k. Max.

But I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.
Based on the cars on 95 south so far, I think it’ll be at the higher end of your estimate or better.

This isn’t it, but just from an optics viewpoint, here’s my 2 cents.

Televise this thing, and it makes about ten guys on this board happy.

Then, it goes out on the airwaves and you have a 65,000 seat stadium with about 5,000 people there. At most.

And don’t tell me they need to promote it. They could spend a million dollars to promote it, and you might get another 5,000 people there. Maybe.

Why so few people? Because Miami fans.

Somebody do a head count tomorrow. I hope I’m wrong. I say about 5k.

So now you’ve got this embarrassing looking spring game out there, where in the top P5 schools you get sellouts, or at least 20-30k in the stands.

Just a little food for thought.

Does having that out there help our image or in recruiting. I mean, it’ll get out anyway, but still...

I feel your point , but here’s my rebuttal lol.

Who gives a crap? We’ve always had spring games , and always had crappy attendance ( minus big games ).

Nothing will ever change that reputation , people still make jokes about our attendance after the great attendance of the previous year.

I should be able to watch the freaking spring game , there’s no excuse in that.

It should be available, at the very least on a streaming service, I can’t justify it not being available on some platform.

So, ideally, yes, it should be televised, in some way shape or form.

But to spend a lot of money marketing it? What’s the return?

Advertisement
Based on the cars on 95 south so far, I think it’ll be at the higher end of your estimate or better.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong.

I’ve been to most of the spring games, not all, and I can’t remember there ever being more than just a few thousand.

We’ll see.

Not able to make it to this year's Spring game, but I am currently watching several others.

Maryland, Mizzou, Kentucky, Arkansas (last week) & am even watching USF's being streamed online now at Identitytb.com & I can guarantee you none of them had 30K fans, in fact both MD & Mizzou's Spring game was easily less than 7-8K, but they were still shown on SEC & B1G network.

Later today if I got the time I'm gonna watch Arizona's Spring game on Pac-12 network & no there won't be 20-50K fans there. No reason at the very minimum Miami can't have it streamed on ACC network.

Not ****ed or upset about it, just disappointed that I'll have to rely on second hand info from the board that I'm almost certain won't be entirely accurate. Oh well... That's on me though, I'll just make sure I catch it next year lol

Advertisement
Atleast we are having a spring game. Wisconsin and Michigan cancled theirs. Apparently Paul Chryst hates the spring games and looks for any excuse to cancel them.
They're a**hole deep in snow up there with blizzard conditions. Not making excuses for them, just facts.

Hiding our poor product from the public. Think we shall be ok in fall but right now it sounds like cluster f$&@. QBs are innacurate, only three DT, no TEs. Aside from Donaldson, RT is a turnstile. Not enough players to have two teams. Dissaoointed but not surprised. Not being a doomsday fan, just stating what’s been reported and making an assumption.

Not able to make it to this year's Spring game, but I am currently watching several others.

Maryland, Mizzou, Kentucky, Arkansas (last week) & am even watching USF's being streamed online now at Identitytb.com & I can guarantee you none of them had 30K fans, in fact both MD & Mizzou's Spring game was easily less than 7-8K, but they were still shown on SEC & B1G network.

Later today if I got the time I'm gonna watch Arizona's Spring game on Pac-12 network & no there won't be 20-50K fans there. No reason at the very minimum Miami can't have it streamed on ACC network.

Not ****ed or upset about it, just disappointed that I'll have to rely on second hand info from the board that I'm almost certain won't be entirely accurate. Oh well... That's on me though, I'll just make sure I catch it next year lol
There's LCE! Someone started a thread looking for you. Hadn't heard from you in a while. Glad to see you're alive and kicking!

Advertisement
Back